🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Kindly Review my Profile
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
elisa_b
Community Member

Azba, please do not spread false information. The "Payment verified" symbol DOES NOT MEAN the job or the client is legit.

Wow, Thank you dear for this information.

Hi Evelyn,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to Upwork! I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties landing a job. You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f46b5e35
Community Member

wow. thank you so much dear for this information

b18a009f
Community Member

hey I am new to this! How can i receive jobs? Can anyone help me?? 

1f894912
Community Member

Please, Andrea can help review my profile.  And please don't hesitate to do your comments and offer advice.

Thanks 

acc7acb0
Community Member

I created my profile last year but I have started looking for proposals since last month, though i have applied in lot of job and not getting much response. I'm an Expert in digital Marketing.

Hi Monika,

Thank you for your message. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this articleDon’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Also, I checked your profile and noticed that your profile visibility is set to Private due to inactivity. Feel free to message us if you would like us to reset your profile visibility to Public.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank You for the reply Reply! I'll Surely go to the articles which you have sent. And can you please help me reset my profile visibily to public? Is it possible only in Freelancer Plus or free as well?

Hello Monika,

Your profile visibility has been reset. Feel free to check out this help article for more information on why this happens and how you can request for it to be reset in the future.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
acc7acb0
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

The profile is public Now, Thanks a lot for that, I Hope I'll get views and proposal from now on.

Regards,

Monika

5ecd5507
Community Member

Good solution. Thank you.

I'm human resources manager. I joined Upwork for some months ago, but I have not been able to get a job. I need someone to help me get clues and advises that could lead me to get my first job. 

Thank you in advance.

Best regards. 

In my professional career, I have skills both in and outside my profession. I'm also willing and ready to acquire more. 

I am also looking for on line chemistry job of consultancy, sohail khaliq
zufarkhan
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and must have sent a dozen proposals without a single response, and half of the jobs being removed. 

Any tips on how to secure a first client?

Hello and welcome to Upwork!

I have taken a look at your profile and I believe there are opportunities for improvement. Based on your stated experience spanning a decade in the security and hospitality industries, I think you could provide a more detailed description of your work history in your profile summary. Rather than making a generic statement such as "possessing many skills," it would be more effective to highlight specific areas of expertise.

BTW, when crafting your cover letter, I suggest asking thoughtful questions about the project at hand, rather than simply discussing your own qualifications. By doing so, you demonstrate your interest in the project and show the client that you are committed to providing them with the best possible service.

2c83962e
Community Member

Hello, I just want to know where I can search for the jobs available. I'm unable to locate any tab to click to open the list of jobs available to apply.

Hello everyone,

I have learnt Power BI. I have build my portfolio on some datasets through kaggle, maven analytics and from YouTube too. I have learnt Power BI through free Microsoft trainings, free edureka course on youtube. I don't have clients' reviews and testimonials, certificates but I am learning to get the certificate. I want to ask how to get first client as a beginner? How to write proposals for them? 

Please help me in this regard.

saadyaseen__
Community Member

I am new to upwork any tips to find first order would be very helpful

Read up on all the useful information upwork provides and apply, if you get a job work hard.

928cc486
Community Member

Dear Colleguaes, 

I would like to know how to search for clients.

I set up my profile but I seem to be stuck.

Have received no single request to submit proposal for work.

Is there anything I have not done right?

e424c77f
Community Member

How do I get my first job

bd211a6b
Community Member

Hi, I'm a new member here. Haven't received any job contract yet. How do I get one please?

29dc7bec
Community Member

Hope you are all well my dear colleagues.

I am a Project Manager and have a good dev team.

I am new on Upwork & try to do my 1st project.

Please share some ideas that will help me to get a project.

Thanks to you all!

4e10643b
Community Member

Hello, dear friends I hope you are well.
I have an idea about my profile, is it good or not to start working on the platform?

4e10643b
Community Member

sorry here is the link to my profile

link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~018a136ed695855b3e?viewMode=1

7d2fa82a
Community Member

Hello guys I'm new here on upwork i opened my 30 minutes ago and i want to understand more how to earn money 

dc404978
Community Member

I m new to upwork.how can I find my first project?

1f8cde66
Community Member

i work all kind of

shafique110
Community Member

Upwork is one of the most popular freelancing platforms out there, connecting millions of freelancers with clients from all over the world. While there are plenty of clients to choose from on Upwork, finding the best ones can be a daunting task. In this article, we'll walk you through some tips and strategies for finding the best clients on Upwork.

• Create a Killer Profile

The first step to attracting the best clients on Upwork is to create a profile that showcases your skills and experience. Make sure your profile is complete and includes a professional photo, a clear description of your skills, and a portfolio of your work. This will help you stand out from other freelancers and attract clients who are looking for someone with your specific skills and experience.

• Optimize Your Profile for SEO

Upwork uses a search algorithm to match clients with freelancers. To improve your chances of being found by the right clients, you need to optimize your profile for SEO. This means including relevant keywords in your profile description, title, and skills section. Use tools like Google AdWords Keyword Planner to identify the most relevant keywords for your niche.

• Be Selective with the Jobs You Apply for

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of landing a new client, but not all clients are created equal. Before you apply for a job, take the time to read the client's job description and look for red flags like low budgets, unrealistic expectations, or poor communication skills. Be selective with the jobs you apply for, and focus on clients who have a history of positive reviews and are willing to pay a fair rate for your services.

1. Build a Positive Reputation

Once you've landed a few clients on Upwork, focus on building a positive reputation. Deliver high-quality work on time, communicate effectively with your clients, and go above and beyond to exceed their expectations. This will help you build a portfolio of positive reviews, which will attract more high-quality clients to your profile.

• Network and Market Yourself

Finally, don't be afraid to network and market yourself on Upwork. Join relevant groups, participate in discussions, and reach out to clients who may be interested in your services. Share your portfolio on social media and ask your clients for referrals. The more you promote yourself and your services, the more likely you are to attract the best clients on Upwork.

In conclusion, finding the best clients on Upwork requires a combination of strategies, including creating a killer profile, optimizing for SEO, being selective with the jobs you apply for, building a positive reputation, and networking and marketing yourself. By following these tips and staying focused on your goals, you can attract high-quality clients and build a successful freelancing career on Upwork.

Shafique Ahmed
1530e52f
Community Member

HELLO I AM DESIGNER AND COPYWRITER AND WEB DESIGNER I CAN WORK WITH CHEAP PRICES

stand out your skills and work on your own demands

Shafique Ahmed
49744f62
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to this app, I'm a Moroccan student but also a writer working on publishing her first book.

I'm here for the content writing and the business copywriting, and I'm sure my work will satisfy your expectations !

Don't hesitate to reach out to me or recommend me to concerned people.

Thank you !!

try to be online and sell your skills

Shafique Ahmed
pascalene
Community Member

Hi, I'm new here and would like some bits of advice and guides that will help me to get good jobs and long term contracts

Click the Academy tab.

be online, Passionate, and update your profile

Shafique Ahmed
dc906872
Community Member

Hi my name is Michael am a talented marketer I feel Upwork is the best place for me to showcase my talents please I need someone to pick me up and mould me to whatever shape you want I promise to give in my best I promise to deliver a good work just hire me you won't regret it

eb688b97
Community Member

Hi, I am Tabitha from Kenya  very new please help me get work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths