🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: No explanation whatever for suspension
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

796 REPLIES 796

Hi George,

I'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly via a support ticket. You can check here or your email for updates and you can definitely communicate if you need further assistance. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
cypruspro
Community Member

Its funny how Upwork states that: Upon checking, payments made to your account has been reversed by your client's bank. When this happens, your payments are restricted until the full chargeback amount is returned to us. 

The client has paid for completed job and has placed positive feedback stating that the job was awesome and that he was excited with the outcome received:

Upwork also states the following: 2. We review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment, in most cases, is against our TOS and can result in us permanently suspending their Upwork account.

Therefore this is against their terms or policies.

From what i know: 1) There is no chargeback or the issue was solved after the client was suspended and Upwork wants to cash in,

I would like proof that the client's bank or the client requested a chargeback. Suspending my account from withdrawing and demanding a pay is illegal if no official proof of what Upwork states is showed, which i will also forward to my legal team.

Upwork is the middle man here and the same way they receive their fees instantly, the same way they should accept their responsibility for not screening clients or freelancers properly and for allowing these dozens of cases everyday take place with verified payments. For me it seems that **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

Therefore i would like an official evidence that the client requested chargeback. If they will provide such evidence, I will happily pay the amount. If not, then Upwork says that I owe them money, and I say that i am the King of Wales

Hi George,

I certainly understand why you're upset about the reversal issue on your account. While we won't be able to share details about a specific case in the public community. Please don't hesitate to communicate with the team handling your case through this support ticket if you have questions or are in need of further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
engr-mansoor
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

When I try to withdraw payment to my bank account, a message pop-up showing that Withdrawal is currently restricted on my account. Please contact Upwork Support.

can anyone explain the possible reason for this as I have done nothing wrong?

Hi Mansoor,

I have checked your account and I can't seem to replicate the issue. Can you please try clearing your cache and cookies or use a different browser? Let me know if the issue persists with a screenshot of the error and I'll look further into that for you. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
be8eb772
Community Member

Hello Upwork - Can you please have someone reach out to me. 

Like many others here our accountants are asking for a W9 form before we can hire anyone.  Your Tax information page does not mention anything about issuing W9's to clients, and it looks like the only way to request one is via the community "Ask a question" tool.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi Jason,

I'll have one of our team members reach out to you with assistance on your request. You can check this page or your email for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f654fa71
Community Member

I have a  problem on Payment Methods upwork show me that it is inactive 

i want ask what is this problem and how can i solve it ?

I also completed all steps and its been more than 3 days now but shows inactive.

Help needed

Hi Abdullah,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
5ef60c79
Community Member

I linked my bank account more than 3 days ago yet it's still marked as inactive. How can I activate it?

Hi Sumaya,

I've requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
f530e366
Community Member

Hello 

I added paypal as payment method and it keeps telling me"The beneficiary name is mismatched" also they are the same

Regards

Hi Alaa,

I checked and can confirm there is no name mismatch on your account. In order to activate your payment method now, please fill out the Form W-8BEN.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello 

I added paypal as payment method and it keeps telling me"The beneficiary name is mismatched" also they are the same

Regards

c1f31a21
Community Member

I got my first client and they paid a milestone already, but I haven't been able to access the funds at all. I've verified my identiy and filled my W9, so I don't understand why this can be happening. I contacted support days ago but haven't heard back. Can someone help me or tell what I need to do ?

suspension.png

Hi John,

I'm sorry if you got caught off guard about the status of your financial account. I'll have one of the team members reach out and provide you with more information and of course assistance on how to resolve this issue. You should be getting an update through a support ticket on this page once your case has been reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
jo_patrice19
Community Member

Hi, am doing a project and would like to receive payment but upwork still has not verified my account. What do I do? Its been 5 days. Thansk

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for reaching out. I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the Customer Support team to follow up with you, they'll assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f530e366
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched. 

Hello 

I got a problem that Upwork starts telling me that The beneficiary name is mismatched with paypal name also they are exactly the same

Regards

Hi Alaa,

I have checked your account and confirm that the name has been cleared. However, It looks like you still need to file a Form W-8BEN. The Form W-8BEN is used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will immediately activate your eligibility to access funds.

You can complete the process by going to Settings> Tax Information> You can start by clicking the pencil icon here. Feel free to communicate with the team through this support ticket that's been set up with your initial concern if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
asif_ismaeel
Community Member

Hey! Hope you are doing good. I am from Pakistan.

After submitting W8EN Form, I uploaded my local bank details last month. It took around 3 days for approving the bank account. The problem I am facing is that since that day, my account status is showing inactive. I have rechecked my details but found no error. I have also resubmitted the Tax Form, but didn't worked. Remember that, I didn't get any email or message from Upwork regarding the error. 

Please help me out from this situation. 

Thankyou.

Hi Muhammad,

We apologize for the inconvenience the status of your financial account may have caused you. I'll have one of our team members reach out to you with assistance via a support ticket. You can access the ticket and communicate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6688031f
Community Member

Hi, I'm a Pakistani Resident and do not register as an FBR Taxpayer. While my father does pay taxes and is registered too.I do want to know whether it is compulsory or mandatory to have a full legal name as a taxpayer in order to earn and withdraw earnings on Upwork.WHT if a person does not fill in the form. Plus, if anyone fills the form and submits it, the amount of tax is deducted from its earnings or not? Why Upwork has levied too many ways to get verify and earn money and make things more complicated for freelancers.

Thanks!

Hi Tahreem,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

If you have questions about reporting your Upwork income to your country's tax authorities please consult a local legal advisor. You may also want to check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6688031f
Community Member

Okay!

Thanks Arjay.

camara-ellis
Community Member

Please help me withdraw funds. It says my account is restricted. It's been 3 days now.

Hi Camara,

I can see that a couple of support tickets have been created for your concern. Please allow our team time to review your case and you should be getting an update here once done. A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
7730aedf
Community Member

Hi,
I have got available amount in my account.But if i try to withdraw it am getting as 

Withdrawal is currently restricted on your account. Please contact Upwork Support.

I don't have any dispute recenlt and everything is solved wrt my account.

Please help me here @upwork

jamesgo
Community Member

I am currently experiencing the same issue! Why would Upwork restrcit your account from withdrawing without any emails about the reason why. UPWORK PLEASE HELP

Hi James,

I have escalated your concern to the relevant team. One of the team members will be reaching out with further assistance via a support ticket. Kindly expect an update here or in your email once your case has been fully reviewed. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
jamesgo
Community Member

Please escalate on this ASAP as i need my account restriction lifted as I need the funds ASAP

7730aedf
Community Member

James did your issue get resolved?

Hi Vishruth,

I can confirm that your concern has been forwarded to the relevant team for further view and a support ticket has been set up as well. Please allow our team time to review your case and you should be getting an update here once done. Don't hesitate to coordinate with the team if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7730aedf
Community Member

Okay will wait for one more day.
Thanks Arjay

7730aedf
Community Member

Hey Arjay,

It's been 24+ hours still not able to debit amount.

Please resolve issue ASAP.

i didn't get any updates from team yet.

Hi Vishruth,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the relevant team to expedite a response to your support ticket. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hey Pradeep,
I didn't get any response from team still its been 40+ hours .
Please resolve the issue ASAP!.
Amount is available in my account but not able to debit it.
I need its urgent.
I have waited 2 days.Still no response.

roberty1y
Community Member

Can anyone explain why my financial account has been suspended? There's nothing remotely improper about any of my activities on the site, and I haven't been asked for verification of any kind. 

Possible is you got chargeback or refund request. Check tickets, should be there.

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to hear that you got caught off-guard about the status of your financial account. I'll have one of the members review your account and assist you further via a support ticket. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths