🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: How to get payment for the first time?
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

796 REPLIES 796
ee023d85
Community Member

thanks, the issue resolved

e624b2b8
Community Member

Hey! Can anyone please tell me how can I get paid for the first time? If my payment method is showing inactive.

Hi Saba,

As stated in the notification on your Get paid page, you need to complete the Form W-8BEN in order to withdraw your earnings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

Please use the link from the notification message or go to Settings > Tax Information, and enter the required details. You can find more information in this Help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e624b2b8
Community Member

Thanks for the info! 

e624b2b8
Community Member

I was trying to check and fill the form but it requires the name of tax payer, but I am not a taxpayer yet. What should be written there? Do I have to write my name?

Hi Saba,

Yes! You can definitely use your own legal name as it appears on your passport or other official documents. Please be reminded that for record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. This will also activate your eligibility to access your funds.

In addition to this required form, you are also responsible for complying with the tax laws in your own jurisdiction. For questions about what taxes you owe, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor — Upwork cannot provide tax advice.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e624b2b8
Community Member

OK, Thanks a lot for guiding me in this regard!

539c386b
Community Member

Hello, Upwork staffs. Please help me with my concern. It says on my profile that my payment method will be active this day, November 24. But it still is inactive when I checked it.

Could you please help me with this because I want to withdraw my balance there for my kid's hospital bill today?

Thank you for reading this and for your help in advance.

Hi Hermilita,

I checked and it looks like your payment method did become active and you were able to withdraw your funds. If you need any further assistance please let us know!

~Andrea
Upwork
3a563005
Community Member

Hi Andrea! I have completed all the forms / information for the non-US taxpayer and I have added my Paypal about 3 months ago already. It still says my Payment method is inactive. I appreciate your assistance.

Hi Gail,

I am sorry to hear about the delay while reviewing your payment methods. I checked your account and I see that you have requested to add two payment methods to the account. I see that the Payoneer payment method is already accepted and will be active starting August 6th. One of our team members has already reached you at your registered email address with the steps to add the other payment method. Please follow the steps listed in the email to help us review your second payment method.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

You better check again and you can ready to withdraw as soon as possible. Thanks goodluck
c046123f
Community Member

Hi there. I am a non-US citizen and I'm having some trouble withdrawing my funds as I don't have a W-8BEN document to provide. Is there another way to withdraw the funds?

Hi Herman,

Thank you for reaching out. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

To provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information:

• Go Settings   Tax Information
  • Provide us with your legal name and address

~ AJ
Upwork

No, I think. In case, You should see it in setting > get paid. You may find the options there. Then, fill in the  W-8BEN form. Otherwise, You won't be able to withdraw funds.

For non-US citizens, just write your full Name.  

alex_golikov
Community Member

Hello. Why my billing method is inactive? It's added more than 3 days ago, tax information fields are 100% completed.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you for help, Pradeep!

ac67c8a6
Community Member

I have updated the Bank Account in Upwork but it is saying inactive to me.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please look into it.

For more clarification on what happened previously, please refer to the following support ticket: #37408271

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/37408271

Hi Aman,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like you need to provide your tax information. If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears on your passport or other official documents.

~ AJ
Upwork
c9c79d12
Community Member

I added a payment method to the local bank more than a week ago and it did not get activated till now. I provided my Tax information and local bank details all correctly but still it is invalid. Can you please help me solve it ?

Hi Mohamed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thanks Pradeep

Do you applied from Payoneer account? Same like as mine too. Still pending because I coulndt resubmit my requesting documents for account pending until fully complete request and surely they issuing updating the debit card for activate account for receiving payments from escrow and upwork.😃👌

1db51345
Community Member

I made account and added a payment method 10 days ago, but it's still inactive.
I would like to know what the reason is.

Hi Rezi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like you need to provide your tax information. If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears on your passport or other official documents.

~ AJ
Upwork
291f24ef
Community Member

I'm new to upwork. My payment method was approved and when I logged in yesterday, it said request inactive. What could be the reason? I updated it again with the same information and it still says inactive. Can anyone help me?

Hi Asiltan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
27dc9713
Community Member

I have filled in my tax information. it's been over 3 days since I added a payment method. I have a balance to get paid. But still, my schedule and payment methods are inactive. I have viewed several solutions in these forums and followed the guide. But couldn't solve the problem.

Hi Jun,

Thank you for your message. I have checked and it looks like you need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S. persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
862ba5d1
Community Member

I already change my verified name on Upwork from my pen name to my real legal name because there is a problem in adding PayPal payment method. My name on PayPal is my real legal name. It gets me the result "The beneficiary name is mismatched"
Please help! thank you

Hi Chicka,

I have checked and can confirm that the name mismatch on your account has been cleared. However, as stated in the notification on your Get paid page, you need to complete Form W-8BEN in order to withdraw your earnings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

Please use the link from the notification message or go to Settings > Tax Information, and enter the required details. You can find more information in this Help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
eb14dfae
Community Member

I have waited more than 3 business days and have completed all of my tax information, yet my payment method still says inactive. I need help

Hi Jalen,

Thank you for your message. I have checked and it looks like you need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S. persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form. Let us know by following the instructions provided by the team on this ticket how to reach out to our Support Team if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
dejan989
Community Member

I just added my Paypal account to Upwork and after it told me everything was fine it wrote to me "My Beneficiary name is mismatched"

Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

Hi Dejan,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked and it looks like the name mismatch has already been resolved. 

However, you still need to complete Form W-8BEN in order to withdraw your earnings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

Please use the link from the notification message or go to Settings > Tax Information, and enter the required details. You can find more information in this Help article.

~ AJ
Upwork
4e647f5b
Community Member

Hello, I was adding my payment methods, and my accout number has 13 digits, but the app allows only 12. How can I fix this? I had to change the number to one with 1 less digit, but its not the right one.

Hi Laura,

I have checked and it looks like you were able to add payment methods to your account. For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three calendar days. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5ee08d82
Community Member

My direct to bank payment method and paypal has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths