🐈
» Forums » Support » Payment Method Inactive !
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

796 REPLIES 796

Hi Hashim,

You will also need to fill out your W-8BEN form so that your payment method can be activated. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
priya_karmarkar
Community Member

My bank account is showing as 'inactive' despite completing W8-BEN tax information about 2 weeks ago. What is wrong? Thank you.

Hi Priya,

For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three calendar days. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
globaloutreach
Community Member

Hi, I have the following Inactive message next to schedule, it says Inactive, when I scroll down it says Direct to Local Bank (GBP) - Account ending in   -  Inactive

My client has paid me just now and it says the transaction is pending, however my account status says inactive. I live in the UK, Could someone shed some light on this please

Thank You

Soved, I think

I said I do not have a VAT number and put my full name in the fields 

Hopefully now I get paid after pending payment

It takes 3 days before a newly added account becomes active for security purposes. The money will be in Pending for 5 days anyway.

manavchotrani
Community Member

Dear all

please note my payment status is showing as inactive

can any assist me on the same

thank you

Hi Manav,

You will need to fill out your W-8BEN form so that your payment method is activated. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Dear Goran

Thank you for the details

Please note I am a non-US tax payer and the form asks me for. Legal business name

I don’t know what to put there as I don’t have a business of my own and I am aa freelancer

Hi Manav,

Feel free to add your full legal name and submit the form once you're ready. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I fill out W-8BEN form but haven't my bank account been activated yet. please check and help out me.

Hi Yousuf,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
NikolaS

Hi Zaki,

Can you please try and complete the W-8BEN form under Settings > Tax Info, which purpose is to

confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. Let us know if the issue persists.

~ Nikola
Upwork
2e750978
Community Member

Thanks Nikola ! I completed the W-8BEN form and now The Problem is solved.

Hello Nikolas,

Would you mind having a look at my situation? I completed my W8-BEN form as well and verified that my payment methods - debit card and PayPal - were valid, but they remained inactive since yesterday! Please let me know in advance! Thank you very much!

Hi Bao,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have added a US address to your account. In order to activate your payment method and withdraw earnings, please complete a W9 Form

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Hello
I added my payment method last Sunday, and till now it wasn't accepted (still inactive) is there any issue? and I'm not a US citizen, why should I fill the tax information

Hi Islam,

Can you please complete the W-8BEN form in order to activate your payment method? You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
yasirgvd
Community Member

My payment method says it will be active on 16 jun but when I click on get paid Iget thats its inactive for security reasons and wait 3 days. I completed the W-8BEN and it's still inactive. What should I do?

Hi Yasir,

It should be activated in 3 days. Please check again within 24 hours for your payment method to become active. Please feel free to let us know if you are still not seeing it as active. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
talentgee
Community Member

Hello,

I added my PayPal account but it showed inactive. Why is it that way?

Hi Miator,

In order to make your payment method active, you need to complete the W-8BEN form which is used to confirm you're not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To complete the form, you can go to the Settings > Tax Information page. You can add your legal name and address as they appear in your government-issued documents.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi. My payment is inactive and I have filled out my tax information and it has been 3 days. Can you help?

Hi Payton,

Thank you for your message. I have checked and it looks like you need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form. You can complete the form by going to Settings> Tax Information> W-9 on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi my payment method is also inactive and i put in my payment information 2 weeks ago and filled out the w9 form. Please help.

Hi Alex,

I took a closer look at your account, I can see that your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Let us know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
65cb01ce
Community Member

I chose a payment method

I entered the information

In the end he wrote me inactive

what does that mean?

Hi Fatima,

Thank you for reaching out to us. For security reasons, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added. You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Upwork
65cb01ce
Community Member

Thank you

AndreaG

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you, It worked😊

Hey, I am having the same issue, My payment method is inactive and my payment was processed by up work 4 days ago.

My form W-8BEN is also complete.

Hi Akshat,

I have checked and can confirm that your payment method on file is currently active. I have also checked the transaction you're referring to and it was successful on our end. Please note that Direct to Local Bank transactions may take up to four business days to arrive at your bank. If the transaction still hasn't reflected on your account after eight business days, let us know and we will assist you further. Please also take note that bank holidays both in the U.S., and in your location may affect these withdrawals.

In the meantime, please read this help article for more information about Direct to Local Bank Timing and Fees.

~ Arjay
Upwork
161b4306
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I submitted my tax information and W-8BEN form almost a week ago, and my billing method four days ago. However, my billing method is inactive.

Hi Ángel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

I am a student. So, I don't pay any tax to the government. Now what should I do?? Please help me 

Hello Andria, Can I ask a question?

Hi Haitham,

Thank you for reaching out. What can we help you with?

~ AJ
Upwork
65e95e55
Community Member

Hello, it's been more than 3 days for my payment methods, I have filled the forms but they're still inactives. Could you please help me? 

kind regards

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Manon, 

Could you please double-check if you filled up your Tax Information page correctly? If you're confused about whether you need to fill up Form W-8BEN or W-9, you may want to get in touch with a local tax advisor.

As noted in the article I linked in this reply, all non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person and are performing services outside of the United States. You may refer to this article from the IRS website on the classification of taxpayers. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths