🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Name mismatch problem
Page options
Mohit B Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hi,

I am unable to verify my name with bank account name. Can you please reach out to me as I need to get this verified. Previously it was added and last year - I did without funds too. Trying to keep the same acount. Please assist. I can share account details if needed. Thanks, Raj **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Duong,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Selecting Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

707 REPLIES 707
Saif A Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to add my Paypal account as my payment method, but it's failing every time telling me the beneficinary name doens't match.. ALTHOUGH it's EXACTLY the same name with the same letters!

This is a screenshot from my account on Upwork and my account on Paypal, literally the same exact name? 
Upwork:

saif_ashraf1_0-1677859969109.png

Paypal:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

and the support isn't helping, they just keep telling me the name doesn't match and asking me to verify my identity again!

William T C Community Member

Hi Saif,

Saif Ashrah Helmy is not the same as Saif Ashrah. I am reading your image. Have a great day!

Saif A Community Member

Hi! 
SaifAshrafHelmy is the "Username" of my account, but the name is on the top as you see, Saif Ashraf, just like Upwork.

If you are 100% sure that you have checked both Upwork and Paypal, then the next step is to contact Upwork Support.

Saif A Community Member

I contacted them but they still said the name was different. And now they asked my to verify my account again, but they're asking for an additional document (Bank statement and such ) and I don't have that right now.

And I already verified my account before.

Yacine H Community Member

I've added a new payment method and Upwork deactivated it for name mismatch.

Now the issue is that I indeed want to send my money to an account that is not under my name. So I am aware of the name mismatch and I am fine with it.

How can I convince Upwork to approve it?

Noro T Community Member

If you are experiencing a beneficiary name mismatch, your bank says that the name is mismatched, or any sort of other name mismatch, Upwork can often resolve this issue. If Upwork team finds an issue with your account, Upwork will reach out to you with follow up instructions on how to correct it. See here >>> https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-or-Payment-Method-Under-Differen...

Thanks!.

Thanks Noro T. I've seen that link but it doesn't answer my issue.

I don't want to resolve the mismatch or correct it. I just want to keep it as is.
I am sending the money to another account, that could be my brother's, my friend's, etc. So the account's name will not match my name, obviously. All I want is for Upwork to let it run.

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Yacine,

I've escalated your report to the team handling your case and one of the members has reached out via email with more information along with further instructions on how to clear the name mismatch on your account. Feel free to coordinate with the team by responding to the email with the required documents and they will surely look into that for you. You may also access the support ticket linked to your case here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Saif A Community Member

May you help me with my problem? It's the comment above this one and apparently everyone ignored it.

Hi Saif,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you're already in touch with our support team and they're already assisting you. I’m sorry but I won’t be able to assist you here further. Your ticket is assigned to the correct team, and they should be able to help you with your concern. Please don’t hesitate to update the same ticket thread if you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Saif A Community Member

Thank you Annie. But I have asked them a couple of questions in my ticket and they totally ignored them, so what am I supposed to do then? 

I asked whether I can provide identity documents in language other than English, and I also want to know why are they asking me to reverify my identifty? Because It's already verified before, and it's seems like a long exhausting process to repeat that!

Hi Saif,

Please feel free to update the ticket with these questions as our support team can best assist you with this.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks Ajay.

It looks like the team is taking its time to get back to me. Is it normal it's been more than 2 days without a reply? Do they take the weekend off?

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Yacine,

Thank you for following up. I shared your query with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola

Thanks Nikola,
All I am getting is a templated answer. Can you ask the team to look into my issue rather than tell me to remove the account I've added because there is a name mismatch? I explained I want the mismatch so if that's not doable, at least the answer should be customized to tell me that this not doable because of this and that, and then give me a suggestion or workaround if possible. 

Hi Yacine,

I’m sorry but I won’t be able to assist you here further. Your ticket is assigned to the correct team, and they should be able to help you with your concern. I would recommend adding these to the same ticket thread so that the team has the correct information to assist you more efficiently. Please don’t hesitate to update the same ticket thread if you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Salam S Community Member

It is almost 3 days from adding my payment method, and I still got this message "Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." 
My payment bank account and Upwork account have exactly the same first name and last name, but the only difference is that on my bank account I have added my middle name and on Upwork I just added my first and last name without my middle name.
What can I do to solve this problem?
Abu Ansarul M Community Member

If the beneficiary name on your payment method doesn't match the name on your Upwork account, it may take some time for Upwork to verify your payment method. In your case, the difference between the two accounts is the middle name.

To resolve this issue, you can try contacting Upwork support and explain your situation. They may ask you to provide some additional documents, such as a government-issued ID that shows your full name, including your middle name. You can also try updating your name on Upwork to match the name on your payment method, including your middle name.

Additionally, it is always a good idea to ensure that the name on your payment method matches the name on your Upwork account to avoid any issues in the future.

Luiggi R Moderator

Hello Salam,

I shared your concern with the relevant team and can confirm that you should no longer see this error on your end. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Salam S Community Member

Thanks a lot Mr. Luiggi.

The problem is solved, but I I have a concern.

I read that I need to verify my account by two small deposits to my account submitted by Upwork.

Is that right? Because I have not received any diposits.

Or the account is already verified?

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Salam,

Thanks for your questions. We have various ways of verifying the information Upwork users enter. If any additional details are requested, you will receive a notification or a prompt.

~ Nikola
NGUYEN V Community Member

Hello Upwork team,

When I add the payment method, which is local bank, account number end ..6155. It keep erro Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

My full name is NGUYEN VAN MINH. In which, NGUYEN is my family name, VAN is middle name, is MINH is first name.

I have check very carefully, I already fill the account name exact as shown on my Upwork account. Please advise how to correct this issue.

Thank you,

Van Minh

Nguyen,

Obtain screenshots of both your Upwork and bank name to submit to Upwork Support. Have a great day!

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Nguyen,

Thank you for your message. I see that your payment method is already accepted and will be active from March 9th, 2023. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths