🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sassy_programmer
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

My name on Upwork and Paypal account are same as "Hamza Jamshed" but still upwork is saying, "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Can anyone help please with this ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Soner,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,653 REPLIES 1,653

Hi Khizer,

Apologies for the delay on your support ticket. I've followed up with the team and you should expect to receive a reply soon.

~Andrea
Upwork
martinmd1989
Community Member

Hi everyone!
I have been with Upwork for several years, great platform, experiences, helped me with my complaints and disputes, payment on time, etc. Perfect. I havent requested the money for a while, and decided to do so today. (125USD). I get this error: Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. I have not changed my bank, nor my name or surname (haha). So I tried to add a new card in other bank where I get my salary from work and I get the same error: The beneficiary name is mismatched.

Can anyone please help me with this? Like I said, there have been no changes in my bank account or in my personal data. 

Thanks a lot for your help and your time! 🙂

Martin 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Martin

And yes, I have checked this as well. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-or-Payment-Method-Under-Differen...

But the mismatch notice has been there for weeks now ( i did not really pay attention because no way of mismatch and I will deal with it when I will want to be paid)

Hi Martin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue and are now being assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
g-matthew
Community Member

Hi, I hope you are well.

Please Check my account Once I am not able to Add my Bank Details to the payment method. 

Financial Account Name is Showing Matthew G.

The name is showing in my Upwork account, Matthew K. 

As per My Documents, My Name is:  K MATTHEW 

While I am adding my District bank withdrawal payment method.  it's telling that the Name is miss match.

I am Attaching my PAN CARD & ADHAR CARD In this mail please I am Requesting you Review my identity proofs and make changes as per my ID proofs 
This is the first time I am adding my payment option. please help me out with this issue.
Best Regards

K Matthew 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hello,

I have recently set up an agency account on UpWork. My company, which shares the same name as the agency, has a bank account in the United States.

However, when I try to add the company bank account as a payout method for the agency, the system prompts me to use my personal name for the "Account name."

Could you please provide me with instructions on how to add the company bank account?

Hi Dinesh,

You must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on the chosen account, or be able to demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so. So please do use your name. Since it's the case that you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

~Andrea
Upwork
9d53d341
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am the authorized representative for the selected account. Should I proceed using my own name for now? Once the verification process is complete, will all withdrawals be directed to my company's account?

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
sumeet-amipara
Community Member

Hello there,

I had changed my last name (surname) legally a few months ago and also updated the same on Upwork, on my profile as well as on Tax Information page. 

Old name: Sumeet Patel

My legal new name at the moment: Sumeet Amipara

I had removed the bank account which had my old name and added the same with a new updated name. (Name is also updated in bank). But I am having an issue while adding the bank account for withdrawal and getting an error that: "The beneficiary name is mismatched".

I would also like to inform that I am getting a notification from Upwork still with my old name even if I have updated my new name... notification message is as below:

"Payment method Bank Transfer: xxxx-xxxx was recently added to Financial Account Sumeet Patel"

I am pretty sure that I have updated my name everywhere on Upwork and the invoice also reflects my new name (Sumeet Amipara).

It's been a week since I have contacted support team and raised a ticket. The last response from support was that "they have forwarded my concern to the appropriate team who will reach me via email soon". But it has been 4 days and no one has replied yet. 

I really need to withdraw the money.

Help will be greatly appreciated as soon as possible.

Regards,

Sumeet

bffd1816
Community Member

Hi, 

I got a new account at Upwork. for the payment method I am using the PayPal ACC. of my husband- Can we get a confirmation and withdraw his acc. money for the job?

Hi Vieru,

Your verified name must match the name on any bank accounts or payment methods you intend to use, including any middle names, family names, or special characters. You must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on the chosen account, or be able to demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so.

~Andrea
Upwork
hamidkarim07
Community Member

Hi

Im reciving the below message upon adding a payment method direct to my Bank account

Payment method verification in progres

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Need help

Regards
Hamid karim

Dear Hamid K,

Thank you for reaching out to Upwork Community with regards to the message you received from Upwork. I understand that your payment method has been deactivated due to a beneficiary name mismatch, and you require assistance in resolving this issue.

As a fellow freelancer, I would recommend that you contact Upwork's customer support team directly for assistance with resolving this matter. Upwork's customer support team is well-equipped to help you with any payment-related issues you may be experiencing, and they can provide you with the necessary guidance to resolve the beneficiary name mismatch.

To contact Upwork's customer support team, please log in to your Upwork account and navigate to the Help Center. From there, you can access the customer support contact information and submit a support request to Upwork's team.

I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Hamid,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you've already reached out and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your case and assist you accordingly with your concern. You can access your tickets and coordinate with the team on this page and on your email.

~ Arjay
Upwork
amvf
Community Member

Hello! 

I have this notification saying "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." I believe it is because on my bank account I have to use my full name (first name + middle name + 2 last names) while on Upwork I just have my first name and last name. 

I didn't have any issues with this and I've been using this payment method for around 6 months, until a few weeks ago when this notification started to show up and doesn't allow me to use this payment method anymore. 

What can I do? I already contacted **Edited for Community Guidelines** 3 days ago but didn't get a reply. 

Hi Alexander,

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by the name mismatch on your account. I can confirm that the issue has been resolved and your account is now up to date. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we worked to resolve this issue.

~Andrea
Upwork
b0dc7663
Community Member

Hi! 

In addition to the beneficiary name being mismatched, I've recently changed my last name (due to marriage)  - thus gotten a new ID card, which I'd like to change on my profile. I tried to find information from the help center, but sadly without luck. 

What should I do next? 

HI Maret,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
89d64498
Community Member

Solved thanks. I might be forced to change emails nevertheless sometime in the following week in which case I will ask again.

c092daea
Community Member

Hello! 

I am having an issue connecting my withdrawal method to my account. Whether I add my bank account or debit card for quick pay, it says the beneficiary name is mismatched although the names appear to be the same. I have waited over a week for this issue to be investigated and nothing has been cleared. 

What can I do to fix this? 

thank you! 

Hi Ryan, I’m not sure if you ever resolve this issue or not yet but I’m
sure you don’t know a few of these, but in this order if you could try
these first is it almost 100% fix the issue and also make sure the address
ZIP Code is correct important as well for the card if it is a debit.

If the beneficiary's name is mismatched when you try to use Quick Pay, you
will need to take the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Double-check the beneficiary's name: Confirm that you are entering the
correct spelling and spacing of the beneficiary's name that is registered
with their bank.

2. Verify the account and routing number: Ensure that the account and
routing numbers you entered in Quick Pay match the ones on file with the
beneficiary's bank.

3. Contact your bank: Speak with a representative from your bank to see if
they can assist in resolving the issue or providing more information.

4. Contact the beneficiary: Reach out to the beneficiary and verify their
account name and number to ensure it matches what you have entered in Quick
Pay.

By taking these steps, you should be able to identify and correct the issue
causing the mismatched beneficiary name in Quick Pay.
75a0cb20
Community Member

My paypal account name is exactly the same as my upwork account name, yet upwork says that it isn't a match. Please help me ASAP because I can't receive the payment from my client. Thanks.

Hi Ahmed,

I've reached out directly to the team handling your case and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method will be active in three days. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
crart
Community Member

75a0cb20
Community Member

ok the problem is solved but when the problem happened i changed my name
twice and change the name again now is this a problem for me or effect on
my account?
crart
Community Member

I am waiting still for my payment. Made a ticket, no.  #40041262 I have correct account number given, been receiving funds regularly no issues only now I am waiting and waiting. Something told me to check my bank account data on file and... it's all wrong!!!!!!!! It has my old name, old address, only aaccount number is correct. I DID change it years ago. What is going on? Also what does that mean that my "financial account name" is set to old name when I changed it everywhere??? Does Upwork keep invalid data no matter if we change it? Is that responsible? I was verified by Upwork with my currently used name, all was fine and suddenly I find that despite changes I made, my account has still invalid information in the "Get Paid" section!! 
I ask someone to contact me immediately and fix this issue because it is serious and clearly Upwork failed to update my data, more over, was sending money NO ISSUES to my bank account that has correct data using incorrect data that Upwork has on file. 

Hi Olga,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulty receiving your funds on your preferred payment method. I can see that you've reached out to our Support Team and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your case and you should be getting an update on your ticket here once done. Don't hesitate to communicate with the team and they will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
crart
Community Member

I am in contact with them but one sided - they do NOT respond and I have no idea what's going on. Would be polite to reply to my ticket instead of me being forced to turn to forum.

Thanks anyways

27a49f1c
Community Member

Hello. It was confirmed when I added my bank account. However, there is only one character difference between the last name registered in the Bank and the last name in Upwork. That's why I'm getting  'The beneficiary name is mismatched' warning. Can you help? 

Hi Kadir,

It looks like your concern has been escalated to our Support Team and a support ticket has been set up as well. Please allow our team time to review your case and you will be getting an update on this page with further assistance once done.

~ Arjay
Upwork
537f1a8a
Community Member

My bank account is not accepted by upwork profile as it says beneficiary name does not match. Do any one have a genuine solution for this problem?

crart
Community Member

Try posting here Solved: Re: Invalid data in "Get Paid" section, no ch... - Page 3 - Upwork Community
And be persistant, that's the only way to make them notice.

Hi Yasir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. In general, it may take up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ AJ
Upwork
crart
Community Member

Still waiting for someone to reply to my ticket #40041262 This isn't funny. I have no money, no information, I only see part of my earnings taken from me by Upwork in exchange for ZERO help.

crart
Community Member

I have received email stating - what a surprise - that names do not match. I have been provided with link to upload my ID etc but the link does NOT work. It is embarrassing to be forced to write on the forum because support is obviously not interested in any help, sending me ONE irrelevant reply. 

Hi Olga, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
sassy_programmer
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

I have this issue again on my account after I relinked the paypal. Please assist me on this.

trhanks and regards

Hello,

My financial account was suspended recently so inorder to restore it I was asked remove payment method from my account. Now that my financial account has been restored when I relink my PayPal account it is again giving me benificiary mismatch message where as the names are same on my upwork and PayPal. I need to withdraw money urgently please help!!

Hi Hamza,

I checked and don't see a name mismatch on your PayPal payment method. Could you please confirm if you're still experiencing this issue?

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths