🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sassy_programmer
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

My name on Upwork and Paypal account are same as "Hamza Jamshed" but still upwork is saying, "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Can anyone help please with this ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Soner,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,640 REPLIES 1,640
hardik_italia
Community Member

(Direct to Local Bank transfer account failed, and the money has been credited back to your Upwork financial account. Review your payment method information.)

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Hardik,

Please note that if you are withdrawing directly to your bank account, the beneficiary name on your bank account must match your verified name on Upwork. Please double check your account number(s) and details carefully. Accurate entry of these details is your responsibility and essential for successful withdrawals. Please check this help article for more information. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
b7c581da
Community Member

Can you tell me if someone entered the date of birth and account name wrong and the withdrawal payment, then it's money will come back or not after verification?

Hi Muhammad,

I've shared your concern directly with the team handling the review. One of the members will be assisting you further via email. You can also expect a support ticket being set up on this page once your case is fully reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi, So I I was trying to add another payment method on my upwork account. I filled in everything correctly but somehow Google autofilled my Mom's name instead of mine. I saved my mom's name and address on google autofilled. I know I was careless and super dumb for not rechecking but I was 100% certain I typed my name on both fields asking for account name and now some of the services are automatically on hold which includes getting paid and adding another payment method. I removed the payment method with my mom's name now but they're asking me to verify my mom's identity and how and why the hell would I do that when it was my bank account I added, my address, my account num, my phone num except one account name field was her name and the other field was mine. I also removed the mismatched payment method and still my account is on hold. Help?

5a9a417f
Community Member

Hello,

I requested to verify my PayPal account so i can get paid, but it says that the names don't match of the email and my name Upwork, even though its the same name only add number 7 on my email,

Can someone please help me

Hi Asma,

I checked your account, and it seems like one of our agents helped you fix this as soon as possible. If you need further assistance, please let us know. We are here to help!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Please which coountry are you from,, i need some help

759e32fa

Hi Hamza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and it looks like the name mismatch has already been resolved. Please note that our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. In general, it may take up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie, thanks for reaching out. I see the name mismatch issue is resolved but my financial account is still suspended. May I know what else to do in order to remove this restriction ?

Hi Hamza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi, thanks for reaching out. I see the name mismatch issue is resolved but my financial account is still suspended. May I know what else to do in order to remove this restriction ?

Hi Vaibhav,

I can see that your account is currently undergoing verification and is still in review. You will be notified once the review is complete.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0c8117fc
Community Member

Hi, So I I was trying to add another payment method on my upwork account. I filled in everything correctly but somehow Google autofilled my Mom's name instead of mine. I saved my mom's name and address on google autofilled. I know I was careless and super dumb for not rechecking but I was 100% certain I typed my name on both fields asking for account name and now some of the services are automatically on hold which includes getting paid and adding another payment method. I removed the payment method with my mom's name now but they're asking me to verify my mom's identity and how and why the hell would I do that when it was my bank account I added, my address, my account num, my phone num except one account name field was her name and the other field was mine. I also removed the mismatched payment method and still my account is on hold. Earlier today I verified my identity and had an Identity badge but my account is still on hold and I still can't transfer funds and it is still asking me to verify Ali Raza even though I removed the payment method with name mismatch.. Please.. I need help badly..

Hi Ma Lolita,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with adding a payment method on Upwork. I see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Annie, I have the same issue. I can not. transfer my money to my US account. I wrote my marriage last name. But I rewrite it the older one. Can you help me,

please?

Hi Hatice,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
03a28e70
Community Member

Hi, I'm Nur.

I entered my card information to transfer the money in my account to my card via IBAN (direct bank transfer) but my UpWork name and my card name do not match due to non-English characters in my name.

In addition, the card information section does not accept the letter "ı" and the letter "ç" of my original surname.

Hence, "Payment method verification in progress"
Your payment method has been disabled because the recipient name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information.

"The beneficiary name is mismatched. "

system gives this error.

Please help me on this.

Hi Nur,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have already removed the payment method you are referring to. Could you please try adding the payment method again and let us know once done? We can request the team to review your details manually. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Same here how can i solve this problem?

8848d2f0
Community Member

Hi Nicola, Can you help me with same problem?

1791ad11
Community Member

Thanks 

Yes

Hello, please help the name mismatch has been on my account for 3 days now, and the emails sent to me don't provide solution

Hi Annie,

I have the same problem, also I don´t complete the forms W8BEN foreign status certification because I don´t have ID USA and I don´t pay tax in USA, also It´s possible not to fill out that document and review my payment?

Hi Lilian,

The Form W8BEN is intended for non-U.S. persons, which is precisely to validate that you're not a U.S. taxpayer. When filling out the "Tax identification" section of your Tax information, choose the option to confirm that you're not a U.S. person. Feel free to check out this article for details.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I am not a resident or citizen of the United States, do I need to complete the W8BEN form to receive my payment and apply for jobs?

Hi Lilian,

Thank you for your question. As confirmed by Luiggi above, the W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. users on the platform. You will need to complete the W8BEN form in order to receive payments and apply for jobs. You can refer to this help page for more information.

- Pradeep

Upwork

My payment method via direct to US bank was flagged for name mismatch. I think this may be an error on your end as my name is Kator Tarkaa.

Hi Kator,

I have followed up with the team handling your account and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is active now. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
schlife
Community Member

Thanks for your help on the issue above. Please I'm having a similar issue and it's 5 days past now waiting for verification from support yet nothing, It's still showing name mismatch awaiting verification, and my name is the same on bank and Upwork. please help. I'd really appreciate 

Hi Anthony,

I've reached out directly to the team handling the review and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method is now active and ready for use.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Annie

I have the same issue, my upwork and wise account have the same name but it says mismatched, My name is actually "Josovitz Nemeño" but upwork won't accept name with an "ñ" on it so I changed my name on upwork to "Josovitz Nemeno" instead  and also my wise account, it should be the same but why is it still mismatched?

Can you help me, please?

Hi Josovitz,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted now. Please update the Tax Information page before you initiate a fund withdrawal. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello i am trying to add my bank account but it keeps saying payment deactivated because the payment method name does not match the name on your upwork account but its exactly the same. 

Hi Nourelhouda,

I checked and it looks like you recently removed the payment method you're referring to. If you get that error when you add it, don't worry; the team will conduct a review to validate that both names match. Alternatively, you can reach out to us again, and we'll be happy to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1e37f73f
Community Member

Hello Luiggi, I'm facing the same issue as everyone here. My account is already verified, and I've already submitted my documents, but the payment details can't be entered because of a "the beneficiary does not match" error. Could you help me, please? I've tried everything already.

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention as well. I've escalated your concern to the relevant team and you should no longer see the error on your end. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1e37f73f
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, please help the name mismatch has been on my account for 5 days now, and the emails sent to me don't provide solution.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths