🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Location+ID verification documents mismat...
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

395 REPLIES 395

Hi Amine,

I have checked your account and it looks like it doesn't need further verification yet. Please note that you will not be able to initiate the identity verification yourself and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete your verification. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
1ba199af
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thank you for your replay.

The problem with verifying that, there are proposals I want to participate in that require location verification. "Only freelancers located in the U.K. may apply."
How can I apply in such offers?

Regards.

Hi Amine,

Thank you for clarifying. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

Hello,

I live in London. I would like to verify my location in the UK, but I don't hold a British passport or drivers licence. As a result it's not possible for me to apply for jobs for 'UK only'. Can I please get assistance with this? Thank you! 

Hi Mari,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
5ac0624b
Community Member

Hi Nikola, i am experiencing the same issue i live in London but don't have a British passport or a drivers license how else can I resolve this

Hi Ayodele,

I would be happy to help. I shared your concern with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
a8dee3ec
Community Member

Hi

Was asked to upload proof of ID (passport) as was trying to submit a proposal for UK-only freelancers.

Just had this email

"Thank you for attempting to verify your location. Unfortunately, we could not authenticate the ID you uploaded.
As a result, we have placed a hold on your account. Please know you will still be able to work and complete any open contracts and withdraw earnings, but you won't be able to submit proposals for new jobs or accept new contracts.
We are sorry to have to take this step, but we must for the safety of our marketplace. Please let us know if you have any questions."

Which tells me nothing about how to fix this, who to contact etc.

how do I proceed from here?

Hi Andy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

~Andrea
Upwork
karenchiu
Community Member

hi,

I just moved to the UK. I'm trying to verify my location, however, the system asks for  British Passport or driving licence. But I don't hold a British passport or drivers licence.

Can I get assistance with this? Thanks.

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork
2d5e2326
Community Member

Hi,

similar

Similar situation here. I'm an Irish citizen with an Irish passport who lives and works in the UK. I cannot apply for any of the UK Only positions due to this, can someone help?

Hi Kim,

I'll have one of the team members reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further with your concern. Kindly expect an update on this page once your case is fully reviewed. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Nikola, 

I have the same issue. Recently moved to the UK but does not have either the british passport or the UK driver's license. I do have my permit though, and would expect for it to be an acceptable proof of location. I will be glad for whatever help I can get. 

Hi Adaora,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
12f7af29
Community Member

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue. Could you please help me with this?

Regards,

Ovais Bashir

Hi Ovais,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
aminats
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

I am having the same issue,

I have verified my location, but to apply for UK-only jobs I am requested to provide only a British passport or driving license which I don't have.

Kindly help,

Regards,

Aminat.

Hi Aminat,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1527d5f8
Community Member

I have the same issue, I tried verifying and I provided my BRP but was rejected. 

Can this be resolved in a way I can verify my account with my BRP?

Hi Justin,

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you very much

Please, I'm yet to receive any message. Will I be notified via my registered email?

1527d5f8
Community Member

Hello Nikola,

Can I get a helping hand with verifying my account with my UK BRP?

70133b7e
Community Member

Yes

6df235f7
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

Similar to previous posters, I want to get UK verification. I can show my BRP t as evidence. Would be grateful if you can help me. 

Thank you!

Hi Vladlena,

It appears you're already in touch with the team via this support ticket. Kindly refer to their last message for instructions on how to proceed with your verification, and don't hesitate to follow up with them directly if you have questions. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
omonigho_edward
Community Member

Hello Support Team,

I am trying to upload my Biometrics Residence permit as my proof of staying in the UK, but the only option available is a UK driving License and a British passport.

I don't have any of these as I am not a Uk citizen.

Please do something about this, so all the freelancers without driving licenses or British passports will be able to apply for contracts.

Looking forward to your response

Hi Omonigho,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f973567d
Community Member

Although I'm located in the UK on a stable basis, I can't verify my location as the only means contemplated are a UK passport or a UK driving license, that I don't have as I'm not a British national.

To be located in a country, obviously you don't need to be a national of that country.

Is this how it's supposed to be or is it a technical flaw?

Can you please help?

Thank you

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
hardikgajjar05
Community Member

Hello, Upwork community

I moved from India to the United Kingdom. I changed my location in my contact info then I got a notification to verify my location. for that, I need to change the country from India to the United Kingdom but I am not able to change it because I have verified my ID document in India and now I want to verify my new document which belongs to the United Kingdom.

Please help me to solve this. So I can submit a proposal with a verified profile.

Thank you in advance. I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.

With regards,
Hardik Gangajaliya

Hi Hardik,

One of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
455c33f7
Community Member

Hi I would like some assitance on this as well. I live in the UK but do not have a British Passport or UK driving license, only a BRP. Please let me know how I could solve this. 

Hi Lera,

~Andrea
Upwork
048c2b38
Community Member

HI - i am based in the UK and am trying to verify my phone number - the system will not let me - can you help please?

thanks

alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
adubi-ibrahim
Community Member

Hello please I just moved to the Uk and I'm having issues verifying my location as i have just the brp but not British passport or drivers license yet.

Hi Ibrahim,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
8db0ce18
Community Member

Hello!

I have the same issue. I also moved here (in 2019) but don't have neither British passport or UK driving license. How can I verify I live in the UK?

Many thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths