🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Problem with French VAT number
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

395 REPLIES 395

Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it doesn't look like you are required to complete any verification at the moment. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future.

~ AJ
Upwork
1e7de94e
Community Member

Hello,

I joined Upwork around a month ago but have not been able to use the site as a hold has been put on my account because I couldn't verify my ID: I am a UK resident born and bred but I don't drive and don't have a valid UK passport. I uploaded my (very) old passport photo and was rejected! Is there anything I can do? I'd appreciate any help, thanks

Hi Veronique,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
e5e87930
Community Member

Hello I'm trying to get my Uk location verified by upload a valid ID form, BUT I'm Spanish and I have full Settlement and right to work in the uk, but I there is no option rather than to upload. British ID or Passport, Please this is unacceptable!

Hi Pongo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your request with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
blessing-sam
Community Member

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport nor a driving license. How do I get past that as it is inhibiting my getting jobs please?

Hi Blessing,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
elifuysall
Community Member

Hi,

I live in the UK and have a resident permit, but it says I can only upload a driving license or a British passport. I can supply a BRP, utility bill or bank statement to verify my location

Can you please help me?

Best regards

Elif

Hi Elif,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
aminats
Community Member

Hello,

I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but do not have a British passport or a driving license. How do I get UK jobs? Please help.

Hi Aminat,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
37e29dc0
Community Member

Hi there,

I am also having the same issue. I am living in the UK with the right to work on a Tier 5 visa, however cannot upload my Biometric card as proof of living in the UK.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Cate

Hi Cate,

~ AJ
Upwork
tonilouisa
Community Member

Hello 

I am in the UK and new to Upwork. This week, I was accepted to work with two clients but shortly afterwards I was advised I needed to verify my identity.  

states:

'To build trust, we may ask you to upload a government-issued ID to confirm your identity. In most cases, we’ll be able to verify your identity within minutes. In other cases, we may need more information from you, or ask you to briefly video chat with an Upwork agent.'

However in the 
UK identity cards were scrapped in 2011, see https://www.gov.uk/identitycards  and I don't have a driving licence or a current passport. Usually, I am able to provide the alternative documents listed at 
but I am being told none of the items listed are acceptable.

I have been told today I can submit a residence card also, however I am a UK resident from birth so do not have a residence card either and in any case
advises it is no longer possible to apply for these.

I don't know what more I can do to prove I am who I say I am but I am very concerned as I started work with the two clients before being advised that I needed to verify my identity and am due to be paid $80 for the first project I have completed on 23 December. However this afternoon I received a message saying I have 24 hours to verify my identity or my account will be suspended and I will no longer have access to clients, proposals or contracts. It is all rather distressing. 

I can't magic a photo ID out of thin air that I don't have and I have tried sending the alternative documents listed on the Gov.UK website which are accepted by organisations in the UK. I am now really worried that because of this, I won't get paid for the work I have done.

If anyone out there could help me, I would be incredibly grateful.

Hi Toni,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you are already in correspondence with our team on your support ticket

Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I have received a message advising I have 24 hours before my account is suspended. I am getting no help - they just keep telling me I need to provide a photo ID. I have provided reasons I can't do this and even if I could, I have been given seven days, after beginning two contracts, at Christmas during a Royal Mail strike.

Hi Toni,

We totally understand how you want this issue resolved immediately. However, as Nikola mentioned, please allow our team time to further review your case. You should be getting an update on this page and your email once done. 

A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you accordingly and more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you for your reply however yesterday evening I had to advise my new client that from this evening I may not be able to continue working on their project as my account is about to be suspended. In addition I don't know what will happen to the money I have earned to date if this happens which is incredibly distressing. It is difficult to remain patient under such circumstances.

Regarding the support tickets, one is a request from help from someone who is desperate to get this matter resolved so she can  continue working. The second is a legal notice.

da6df556
Community Member

Hi Nikola.

I'm in the same situation, I believe. My first successful proposal is in the UK (as am I) so will I be paid still? Also, I can't just magic a photo ID out of thin air in a matter of days. Those things take time (and money).

I can easily verify my business (which is who the prospective client will be paying) and that it's a Limited Company that's been in existence for years so it's strange to want a photo ID in the first place as it's not really about me as an individual. Please advise.

Hi Mike,

Arjay here stepping in for Nikola. I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties verifying your location. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets and coordinate with the team here.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Mike

I have made some progress on this.

Apparently a Citizencard is acceptable. There is one on its way to me but it is delayed due to the Royal Mail strikes.  You can learn more at https://www.citizencard.com/.

The website states there is a fee of between £15 and £30 but I would recommend looking at the Twitter page as it seems they often have promotions where they give cards away at no charge.

I applied after seeing a post at
https://twitter.com/CitizenCard/status/1579770363109838848
using the code FREEVOTERID.

Hope this helps.

halusek
Community Member

Hello, I also live and work in UK, but don't have passport or driving license. How can I verify my account?

Hi Dino,

I have checked your account and looks like it doesn't need further verification just yet. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete your verification. You can coordinate with the team by responding to their message if you need further assistance to complete the process. They will surely look into your concern and assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
etroude
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I asked my local tax office in France for a VAT number as requested by Upwork, I got one today but it's not accepted in VIES system nor on Upwork. Don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Emmanuelle

Hi Emmanuelle,

~Andrea
Upwork
590c83a5
Community Member

I am in the UK and I have a BRP that allows me to work here. I am suffering the same problem to verify my location as I have not a British Passport or Driving License. 

I was not able to find support in the chat regarding this matter.

Emannuel

Hi Emannuel,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
99e709ff
Community Member

Hi,

I attend university and permanently reside in the UK. I tried to verify my identity but was turned down because of my Dutch passport. I do not have my UK driving licence but I have proof of my address that I live in UK. Can I video call an Upwork representative to confirm my identity?

Thank you very much

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

~ AJ
Upwork
5cecb199
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to verify my location using various documents. I have contacted support and am getting rejected with the same copy-pasted message every time. I have no idea what the support team doesn't like about the documents I've provided and have been waiting for days. This is ridiculous.

Hi Mike,

Apologies for the delay as our support teams are currently experiencing a higher number of contacts than usual. Rest assured the team will address your concerns and questions in the ticket as soon as possible. I can see the team has already sent some details about acceptable documents and you've replied.

Please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork
5cecb199
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

As I've said, those are not details. Those are just general rules of proof submission, which I was already aware of and which give me absolutely no information about what could be the issue with the documents I provided.

Hi Mike,

Arjay here stepping in for Andrea. As she mentioned, since you already got a support ticket set up with your concern, we highly suggest you coordinate with the team by responding to their message if you have questions or need further assistance. The team will surely assist you accordingly and more efficiently. You can access your ticket and continue communicating with the team here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5cecb199
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

The team has not responded to my ticket in days. According to the verification page, verification should take no longer than 1 business day, which is clearly not happening. My livelihood depends on Upwork and I need this issue to be solved ASAP. Pease expedite the issue.

Hi Mike,

I checked and can see that you've been in communication with the team recently and you can rest assured they will continue to assist you until the issue is resolved. Also, note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received, so kindly allow 24-48 hours from your last message to the Customer Support team for them to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5cecb199
Community Member

Now they're just rejecting me for made-up reasons. I'd like to speak to someone in charge. I suspect your team members are racist.

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to learn how you feel. I see that you have already responded to the support ticket. I will also share your feedback with the relevant team. Please don't hesitate to follow up on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork
rachael_ogun
Community Member

You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID. Please contact customer support

can someone help me please as i do not know who to message or what to do?

Hi Rachael,

~Andrea
Upwork
f88e1825
Community Member

I've been trying to verify my number for a day or so but I keep getting the 'Something went wrong, please try again later' message.

I have tried changing browsers, clearing my cookies and cache and trying to do it on my phone instead of my laptop but nothing is working. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths