🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: UK Location Verification - Unable to do
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

395 REPLIES 395

Hi Lorna,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
abaa23d3
Community Member

Hi Upwork team,

I have pre-settled status, employment in the UK but no UK passport or Uk driver license, can one of your agents reach out to me to gain access to UK-only jobs. thanks

Hi William,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
1f5c9f41
Community Member

Hi upwork,

I am creating my profile but I can not received text SMS. Is there any way to verify my phone number ?

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
2f0802fb
Community Member

I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport and driver license. 

Kindly assist on what can be done.
Thanks.

Hi Ify,

~ Nikola
Upwork
4fd24738
Community Member

Hi I am new to Upwork and trying to create my profile but am not receiving my verification text message.

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Hi Edward,

~ Nikola
Upwork
2f0802fb
Community Member

Hello Support,
Kindly assist in the the verification of my current location as I am barely 2weeks in the UK. I only have my BRP card, Student ID and statement of account( less than a month transaction).

I need your guide.

Regards
Ify

Hi Ify,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
616be854
Community Member

I cannot submit any proposals, please help. I'm given an error message that says "IDV verification needed", but there is no link or pop-up to verify my ID. 

Please help so I can begin to submit proposals.

Hi Aneeka, 

~ Nikola
Upwork
580326c5
Community Member

I keep getting the same error message when I try to send a prosposal. It reads; There was an error loading this page: error [7a0244b839e93868-LHR, 7a0244b839e93868-LHR]. Contact Upwork Support for more information. 

I also get a red banner at the top of the page saying I need to verify my ID. However, I can't find anywhere to do so on my settings button, and everything I've found in relation said Upwork will send me an email or popup when they want me to verify my ID. Neither such thing has happened yet. 

The Upwork Support button was no help. 

Any advice?

Hi Grace,

~ Nikola
Upwork
shabih66
Community Member

Hello,

I am from Pakistan and my profile is verified on the details of Pakistan.

I recently moved to the UK (London) on Student Visa and I want to change the location on my profile. 

After changing the location it asks for ID verification. I have the BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) issued to every international student and address verification details as well.

I am only allowed to work 20 hours a week and I don't know about the rules and regulations regarding taxation in the UK. Will it cause any problems with my Student VISA? 

Kindly guide me if anyone has knowledge about this.

Best regards,

Shabih Ul Hassan 

Hi Shabih,

Thank you for your message. I see that your new address is already updated and verified on your Upwork account. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you for the response.

My main concern is that I am only allowed 20 hours of work on my student VISA in the UK. The freelancing platforms come under the self-employment category and it is also not allowed on my student VISA.

If I work on this account and withdraw money to my local UK bank will it be a problem for me? Because of the strict rules in the UK regarding  Taxation and immigration.

Best regards, 

Shabih Ul Hassan

Hi Shabih,

Firstly, all non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person, and are performing services outside of the United States.

Completing these forms is required to prove you are not a U.S. citizen and do not need to pay U.S. income taxes. Without this proof, the IRS requires that we withhold 30% of your future earnings to pay for income taxes. 

As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we’re not required to withhold at this rate. Read our help center article to find out whether you need to complete the W-8BEN or W8BEN-E form

Regarding your student VISA, Taxation, and Immigration concerns, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cc1c7578
Community Member

ID problem, it says I need to submit ID to apply to a job however there isnt a way in my profile to submit my ID? Currenetly stuck on what to do? Is there a way to contact a person at Upwork?

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
tereza18gr
Community Member

I've been asked to re-verify my account. 

I've submitted my passport again and then it says that: 

"Your ID document location does not match with your profile location. Please change your profile country or upload some extra documents to verify your location. Your document will never be shared with clients."

I live in the UK but I do not have a British passport (or driving license)

There is no option on my profile to upload additional documents and your message says I need to do it in 7 days if I don't want to have my account on hold? 

Hi Tereza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you are already in correspondence with our team on your support ticketPlease allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
jessmensa
Community Member

I live in the UK and have a resident permit, but it says I can only upload a driving license or a British passport. I can supply a BRP, utility bill or bank statement to verify my location

Can you please help me?

a986b643
Community Member

Hi, I am Resident in the UK, but I have a Hungarian passport, ID and Driving license. Authorities usually accept verification of Location by demonstrating banking papers or e.g. electricity bills with name and address. I would like to apply for projects in London area, and that is the only way I can verify my location.  How can I proceed with these jobs?

Hi Anita,

We thank you for your inquiry. Your ticket has been logged and can be accessed here. We will respond within 24-48 hours. Thank you for your patience.

~Andrea
Upwork
bf842bac
Community Member

Hello,

inhave recently moved to the Uk, how do I change my location to Uk using my BRP card

67304e3c
Community Member

I have been asked to verify my identity and location. I have no idea why this is necessary again, as I have already done it, but I uploaded my passport which has been accepted immediately. However, my utility bill has not been reviewed yet, although I uploaded it 26 hours ago and it says that the process takes "up to 1 business day". Since you set very short deadlines and I don't want my account to be suspended, I would like you to take care of this asap. Thanks.

Hi Sabrina,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. I've submitted a follow-up to the team handling the review and they confirmed that your location has been completely verified. The hold on your account has been lifted as well so you're all good. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
anna_babicheva
Community Member

Hi there, 

would love someone from support to help out with my location verification. I have uploaded the documents with my address and my name and yet, it wasn't approved. I don't have utility bills in my name, my partner takes care of that, but I have a Medicare, lease agreement, Permanent residentship confirmation and literally anything else that can confirm that I live in the same area that is stated in my profile; I am just not a citizen. But those docs were not approved. 

Would love someone to help me out here 🙂

Thanks and have an awesome day!
Anna

Hi Anna,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties verifying your location. I can see that the has reached out with more information about the status of the review and further instructions on how to complete the process. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team by responding to the email you received and they will surely assist you accordingly. You may also review the ticket linked to your case here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e5cd49ba
Community Member

For some reason I have been asked to verify my location, even though nothing has changed since I last uploaded all my documentation. However, I keep getting rejected. 

I am a Belgian national and have been living in the UK since 2012. I uploaded my passport, which of course is from Belgium as that's where I'm from, hence my location not matching my ID.

I uploaded a photo of a bank statement with my current address, but this got rejected. I don't know why as I only received a copy-paste reply from the support agent. They haven't replied yet to my request for more information about why it was rejected and what I should upload instead.

So then I uploaded a photo of my Belgian ID card (different from my passport), which was issued in London. I uploaded a photo of the front and the back (back says it was issued in London). Again it was rejected, and again I don't know why.

Do support agents ever get back to any questions you post to them? Is there any way to actually contact Upwork? I opened a request, but it said it could take 3 days for a reply, and I imagine I will just receive the same copy-pasted message again. 

I don't have a driving licence, I don't have a residence permit (not really done here in the UK), all my bills and account statements are digital and they require a photo... So I feel like I'm stuck.

I have now uploaded a photo of a voting card which has my current address, but again I am not sure if this will be sufficient. I have until the 5th of May to get verified. This is just so very frustrating and I'm not sure what they want me to do. 😞

Hi Ine,

We certainly understand your frustration and how you really want this issue resolved immediately. I've submitted a follow-up to the team handling your case and they confirmed that you have completed the requirements for the location verification. Looks like you're all set. Let me know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
claudialye
Community Member

When applying to a job, I'm led to a page to verify my phone number either via text or phone call. I've pressed text and been waiting for the past hour but I've received nothing. Please help :')

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
abilex
Community Member

Hello there I have been asked to verify my ID, I live in the UK and I have uploaded my UK driving license  however I was contacted that it is not acceptable.

Can you help with this?

My driving license is in my maiden name, and I have a marriage certificate to show change of name. 

Thank you

Hi Abiola,

Please refer to this message from our team with advice on the appropriate way to upload your document.

~Andrea
Upwork
06e4b66f
Community Member

Hello, just relocated to the UK. do not have British passport, but do have biometric resident permit. tried to upload my BRP, but when did, the following message appeared: "It appears that you submitted an ID type that is not supported. Please retry using photograph of your state-issued British passport or U.K. driving license. How do approach this?

Thanks

Hi AOlufemi,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
1db817f7
Community Member

Hi!

I'm currently in the UK for extended period. However, I don't have a British passport or driving license yet. Kindly let me know how can I provide my current location's proof. Thank You!

Irfan
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths