🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: I'm trying to verify my location for UK o...
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

395 REPLIES 395
dan_tea
Community Member

Hi, I'm a Latvian national who lives in the UK for almost 3 years now but I don't have a UK issued passport or a driver license. How could I go about this if I want to work on the UK based projects?

I have seen at least a hundred posts in the Forum asking this same question.

Clearly there is a way for this to be resolved, because Upwork has worked with these freelancers to resolve the matter.

But purely out of curiosity... If you have been living in the UK for three years, can't you get a UK driver's license or UK-based non-driver government ID card?

Hi Preston,

The UK does not issue ID cards, their passport is not mandatory and driver's licence is only relevant to anyone wanting to drive which, given the vast public transportation network in all major cities, is something that most people live without ever needing and, even when they do need it, EU drivers licence is accepted in the UK (part of agreements between countries that allow UK citizens to drive in mainland Europe),

Also, up to the end of 2020 EEA nationals were allowed to live and work in the UK with their own national IDs without restriction as the UK was part of the EU.

It gets somewhat muddled after Brexit with this right not necessarily extending to everyone but the documentation that proves said right is not one that upwork currently accepts. Since the documents are being requested to prove location, rather than identity, it sounds unreasonable to ask someone to spend the Sterling equivalent to between $500 and $2,000 (best case scenario being if holder of another countrie's licence already and willing to orisk without lessons)  to be able to show they live in the UK especially after already providing bank details that show it.

Hi Daniels,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with the verification.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
mervedemir
Community Member

Hi,
you want british pasaport or driving licence for Location verification, i live in london and i have biometric residence permit, when i try to upload ,it give the error. it not accept. can you help me please?

Hi Merve,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
watsanan
Community Member

I would like to verify my location. I'm based in the UK.

However, I am based in London but don't have a British passport or a driver's licence. I understand the need for regulation but this inflexible and incomplete verification technique is discriminatory. UK residents with a right to work might not necessarily have either of those two. I can provide bills made in my name, even on a monthly basis if necessary. The UK is my home and my base! Please let me know how we can proceed to verify my location in a more straightforward way.

Thank you for your time.

Watsanan

Hi Watsanan,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
6b52eb41
Community Member

Hi,

I need to verify my location using my passport to apply for UK-based freelancing jobs. However, I am an Irish citizen and therefore don't have one (I have to right to work int he UK however)...can someone from upwork help me with this please?

Hi David,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with the verification.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
d2491337
Community Member

Hi,

I live in UK but I'm not British. I don't have a passport or driving licence. How can I verify my location?

Best.

Hi Junru, 

I can see that our team already assisted you with your concern. If you need further assistance, please feel free to update the ticket, and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
d2491337
Community Member

Hi, I don't think I receive any assistance. I didn't find any message of help from anywhere. Maybe I didn't find the right place? idk...

Hi Junru,

I checked and one of our agents has updated your ticket to assist you with the location verification process. Please log in to your account and go here. The same email was also sent to the email address associated with your Upwork account. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
eee8283c
Community Member

It's asking me to upload a British Passport or driving license. I have lived and worked in the UK for the last 24 years but only have a German passport / Driving license? How do I verify my location please?

Hi Katja,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
markonimisi
Community Member

I also have the same issues of not accepting my BRP for my identity verification. How do I go about this?

Hi Mark,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
598bdee0
Community Member

FAO Upwork employees / Community Gurus

I tried to submit my ID to send a job proposal, my ID was not verified - what does this mean exactly? The photo was not blurry or obscured in any way so I'm curious why it was not accepted.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hi James,

I've shared your concern with the team and we'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d2491337
Community Member

Hi, I live in UK. I’m not British I don’t have passport and driving license. I want to verify my location, how can I make this possible?

Hi Junru,

I've shared your concern about completing the location verification process with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
9a342c78
Community Member

Hello everyone.
My passport is Pakistani and my ID is not recognized. How can I apply to UK-based jobs without a British passport and Driving License?

Hi Irfan,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
sercine
Community Member

Hi, I live in the United Kingdom. I don’t have a passport or driving license. I have a BRP and want to verify my location, how can I make it?

hcrolla
Community Member

Hi, 

My account has been put on hold despite having provided a valid photograph of my UK passport for a job that required persons to be in the UK (which I am, and I am a British citizen). I now cannot submit any proposals...

Hi Hannah,

I'm sorry to hear about that. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with the verification.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks 

maximus1989
Community Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong category. 

I keep seeing the "You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID" message whenever I try to submit a proposal. I've already had my I.D and visuals verified. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Hi Max,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
elinaupelniece
Community Member

Hi. I am located in the uk currently, however, i do not have a uk passport or uk driving license. When trying to apply for the job, i am asked to verify my location by providing one of the above. is there a way to bypass this so i can apply for the job since i do have all the required qualifications to apply?
Thank you 

Hi Elina,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with the verification process.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
kennyking_dt
Community Member

I moved to the UK last 2 weeks. 
I have my resident permit. But the ID verification failed. The number of tries is exhausted. 

I need help as I cannot apply for jobs with location restrictions. 

Hi Kehinde,

One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
usama_goher
Community Member

Hi Community,

I recently moved to Uk from South Asia. After which I edit my location from settings. But now when I try to send a proposal Upwork asks me to verify my new address. And when I send the image of my VISA sticker to them. They won't recognise it and even temporarily suspend my account. Now guide me what I have to? And have to submit which document for verification?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Usama,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
goodnessobj
Community Member

Hi, I am living in the United Kingdom. I don't have a driving license or a national passport, but I have a BRP and want to verify my location, how can I do that please? thank you

Hi Goodness,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
257c149a
Community Member

Dear staff,

I am currently based in London with a BRP instead of a British passport and have been unable to verify my location. I saw that similar issues arised before and could be resolved. Could someone help me out as well, please?

Many thanks.

Hi Kaiwei,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths