🐈
» Forums » Support » Milestone could not be activated. Please cont...
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,127 REPLIES 1,127

Hi Kashf,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
c6a4ef15
Community Member

I tried two different debit cards and none of them is working on the website, it's written no correct filed billing method etc. Please help us ASAP and don't take me to the billing methods page because there is no info on that. Fix my stuff please .

Hello Infinite,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the issue while adding a billing method. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you
Pradeep

Upwork

hi same issue for me too please provide one time payment option 

Hi Csr,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
f2ef797a
Community Member

Me 2. Not able to make payment.

Hi Sachit,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
403251ba
Community Member

I have almost tried 3 different cards and I even tried with 1 paypal account, but I get the same error.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Hi Shubham,

~Andrea
Upwork
403251ba
Community Member

I mean, I could understand if it happened for 1 bank, It happened with 3 different bank and 3 different cards, I even tried with a paypal account ....

Nothing is working,

I had completed 1 milestone and released the payment that did work ... I did it almost a week before and everything worked fine, but now nothing works.

Please help me out.

Shubham, could you please confirm with your bank why they're declining the transactions? If you're still experiencing then, please feel free to follow up with us.

~Andrea
Upwork
403251ba
Community Member

I did, I even have checked if international transactions are enabled or not and suprisingly everything is fine at their end ....

Please help me with this, I have to activate milestone asap for starting the work and nothing is working.

The main issue is, I paid for my first milestone which indeed did well, everything happened seamlessly but I don't know why things are going wrong this time.

I activated my first milestone almost before a week or so and everything worked fine, suddenly things are not going well now.

One more point, I removed my card and then tried to again add it, then I was even charged with 1$ for verification.

Hi Shubham,

Thank you for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
4576ac6b
Community Member

Lol. Seriously? Your team member will come back with useless solution saying him to visit bank. 

72e15b4c
Community Member

hi pradeep! I am facing the exact same issue. Can you please help me? I am unable to pay my freelancer. It is very urgent. 

I have linked my debit card, and the initial check of zero dollar verification is also successful. However, after completing all processes and I pay, there is a message prompting "There was a problem charging your billing method. Please enter a new billing method and try again.

I have also tried thru Paypal, and have configured it via my bank account as well as a debit card but finally when i pay it fails and prompts "try different payment option". 

I am using Upwork for the first time. Need your immediate help. thanks

Hi Avni,

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Avni,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It’s possible that your bank declined the transaction due to security issues. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information and to confirm that you are authorizing Upwork to charge your card online.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. Or you can contact us here by updating this thread so that our team can assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork

Why is that so you always blame bank for it.? Please look at your own flaws. Try to resolve. There are more than 100 members coming back with same issue and you're just blaming banks. They also saying that even after doing every possible ways from bank it still fails in your platform. There's an serious issue. You better fix that instead of blaming banks.

Hi avni, I am also geting the same error for one of my visa card

Have you successfully fixed it, if yes, please let me know the solution too.

Thanks

dad62b59
Community Member

hello good day,am having the same problems as well on my client account,i already updated my info but it keeps saying you dont have a vilid billing file

Hi Andrew,

~Andrea
Upwork
a47bb79b
Community Member

No response to the ticket. That's too bad

shaker_emad
Community Member

I can't hire a freelancer, I got a "charge failed" visa debit card !
I have enough money I don't know what is the problem, PLEASE I want a solution for this, the freelancer I have to pay for started thinking I'm a scammer!

Hi Shaker,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
3ea805dc
Community Member

Hello! My payment method has been "inactive" for 7 days and I really need to get my freelancer hired and paid. I think I now know why the payment has been inactive—the AmEx on file is from the COO of my company **Edited for Community Guidelines** and different from the name on the account which is my name, Helen Schultheis .

I've attached a bank statement where you can see a deposit from my company (it's Apt2B, but owned by TRP Acquisition) to further validate the card. Please let me know if you need anything else to make the payment method "active." Also, please let me know how long this will take to verify so I can let my freelancer know.

Best,

Helen 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Helen,

One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you with this.

~Andrea
Upwork
b94e64a9
Community Member

This is too frustrating, I have added like 3 different Mastercards but none seems to work with upwork. I'm trying to hire a freelancer I keep getting this error "You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please correct this before making an offer."

can anyone help me?

~Andrea
Upwork
e5c085ed
Community Member

Hi,

I am a new client in Upwork. I post a job and want to hire a freelancer. But the visa credit card I added is shown "inactive". I have verified my identity. It has been two days. I am wondering when could it become active so that I can hire.

I am in China and the credit card is issued by a Chinese bank.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you.

~Andrea
Upwork
a5e0c215
Community Member

Trying to fund a contract and keep getting charge failed and that I don't have a valid billing method on file. I have tried numerous accounts now with various balances way above the required fee but experiencing this issue. Can it be looked into?

Hi Adam,

I checked and it looks like the transaction has been declined. You may want to reach out directly to your card- issuing bank so that they can check this for you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
dalia_i
Community Member

I have a problem with the payment in Upwork, although I already hired before, can anyone help me. Thanks 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dalia, 

I looked into this and the transaction was not permitted by the bank. Please contact your local bank for more information on why the transaction was declined. 

In the meantime, you can add a different billing method to be able to use it on your contracts. 

~ Avery
Upwork
1c9406f6
Community Member

Hi,

I successfully added my Visa Debit Card on Upwork. But when I try to send offer to freelancer I'm getting: "

You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please correct this before making an offer." 

On bank website where I opened account stays: 

online current account - dinar current account with which you get Visa and Dina digital debit cards.

Thanks.

Hi Stefan,

~Andrea
Upwork
designbyhammad
Community Member

I've been trying to upgrade my membership from basic to plus.
But I'm unable to add a billing method. I've tried to add my Pre-paid (Mastercard) as well as Debit Card (Mastercard) but both ways it kept showing this message "We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank."

I've contacted my bank. And they said, "there's no issue on our end. you should check it with your requested website".

kindly fix it asap.

Hi Hammad,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you've experienced in upgrading your membership. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you as soon as possible via a support ticket to assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
c27a6658
Community Member

Hi team, 

I tried to pay using my credit card and it was blocked by my Bank because the transfer was international. I have since called my bank and they ave allowed for these transfers. 

I ended up making the payment with my colleagues PayPal account but there is still a block on my account. 

Can you please remove the block so the freelancer can accept the job and commence work? 

Kind regards, Erghn

Hi team,

still need help with this. Can someone please get back to me as we are waiting to engage services with a contractor.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths