🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
ariel_shenker
Community Member

Hey
I have a problem with hiring an employee.

I added a payment method using Visa and after I try to make a Hire order it fails.

I checked with the credit company and it was canceled by UpWork. There is a way to contact customer service.

The same thing also happened with Paypal.

Hi Ariel,

I looked closely, and It appears your bank is declining the transaction you're trying to process. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists after you've contacted them, please let us know, and we'll be happy to assist you further. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
ariel_shenker
Community Member

Hi, I already talked to them before when I sent a POST here. My credit card company transferred the transaction and it failed with you.

Hi Ariel,

Thank you for getting back to us. Could you please try using a different card to check if that helps? 

- Pradeep

Upwork
ariel_shenker
Community Member

yeah i was tried but is not my card my friend give me to check with his card is from another region. form him i got another error of not balance. 

i also tried with my paypal is not working also.

i dont care which method i need one of them will work.

I'm sorry to hear the problem persisted, Ariel. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0d583cfa
Community Member

Facing the same problem for the last two days. In my case, one payment via Paypal went through successfully, but since then both payments via Paypal and payments via  4 separate credit cards have all been rejected with the "recent charge failed" error.

In my case, deleting and adding the cards and Paypal again does not work.

In each case, the card is actually charged, then refunded immediately, and then I get the "recent charge failed" error.

I tried contacting support, but they said that it was likelythat the bank had put a hold on my credit card. However, thats not the case, as I am able to use all my credit cards and Paypal with no issue with other merchants. When I contact my banks, they say that Upwork makes the transactions, but does not claim them, causing the transactions to be reversed. Seems to be a software issue at Upwork's end.

Right now, I am unable to go ahead  with my hiring. If this does not get resolved. I will have to move to another platform for hiring talent.

0d583cfa
Community Member

SOLVED: All my  "recent carge failed" notices were coming from the Upwork website. I finally gave up on the website, and tried the Android app instead. Finally, after deleting and reinstalling my Paypal account, I was able to make the payment to my hire successfully. I suggest that those who are facing this error should try the Upwork app instead of the Upwork website.

ed16dccc
Community Member

please someone from support team, help me 

Im trying to start contract here, paypal wont work it gives me issues. WHen i add a credit card, it gives me error 

'Our records indicate that the payment method entered is already associated with the maximum number of accounts. Please add a different payment method." 

Like please, i just wanna work with my team and stuff. this is making it so difficult, and i cant open a request/ticket as their is no button anywhere. 

Hi Kiyabu,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
eromprakash
Community Member

Hi,

I am facing an issue while funding amount to my account. While funding amount, I am getting "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support". Actually, for a production issue I have to hire a developer but due to this issue , I am blocked and not able to proceed. Please resolve look into it and resolve it as soon as possible.

Thanks..

Hi Om,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your billing method. Could you please contact your card issuing bank to check available limits and permissions to complete international transactions? 

- Pradeep

Upwork
ab8f0f7f
Community Member

Hello there,

I've been having this issue today where I keep getting a "Recent charge failed." error (screenshot attached below). I tried with 2 different PayPal and 3 different debit cards which led me to believe that it's a problem with my upwork account as it's a brand new one.

The payment actually goes through, I get the transaction in my bank account/Paypal account but after a couple minutes, the transaction gets "reverted".

I know these cards work as I use them on a daily basis for business expenses same for the PayPal accounts. It's really frustrating because I need to pay people. The chatbot does not help at all and there is basically no support team at upwork, no email, no phone number, no chat support. 

Could anybody help me please? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Mahefa,

I'm sorry for the frustration this may have caused. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0f1b29dc
Community Member

Hi Luigi,

As a direct client, I've encountered an issue with adding funds to the escrow budget using two different cards on Upwork. Despite multiple attempts, Upwork keeps declining the transactions. I contacted both of my banks to confirm the process, and they assured me that the payments were successful. However, the contract is still pending, and my freelancer cannot proceed with the project without a funded escrow. I urgently need billing support to address this matter, especially since both of my banks have confirmed the successful payment for the escrow budget. Thank you!

07bfcb6f
Community Member

Hey,

I am facing issue in making consulting payment. It shows " Recharge failed " even my PayPal is full of balance. I am using same PayPal for purchasing on ebay and fiverr. I didn't get any issue on there. Its really disappointment for me. I hope this issue will resolve asap.

Waiting for reply.

Thanks in advance

Hi Stacey,

I looked closely, and it appears your bank is declining the transaction you're trying to process. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists after you've contacted them, please let us know, and we'll be happy to assist you further. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
lukeadimpact
Community Member

Hi, 

It has been a while since I've logged into my account, and I am unable to change my old billing details. Whenever I do, I get the following message.

"Sorry, we can't let you in. 

Make sure you're logged in with the right account and try again.
To learn more about permissions, visit our Help Center.

To check the status of Upwork's platform, visit our 

Error 403 (N)

Trace ID: 84c6dc19f8a9fb65-PER"

I have already tried clearing my cache, trying incognito mode and other browsers.

Could I please get support on this, as I have a job but won't be able to pay for it until I can change my outdated payment details.

Hi Luke,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while adding a billing method to your Upwork account. I checked your account and I see that your account is associated with a company account. That said, you do not have the necessary permissions on your Upwork account to add a billing method. You will need to request Admin access from the owner of the main company account. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
3984eceb
Community Member

Please I need someone to help me quickly
I want to pay the freelancer, but Up Work does not accept my Visa card, and PayPal is not activated. Is there someone who can contact me to solve the problem?

Hi Elec,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
c5f26e0d
Community Member

Hi i need help i tried using grab card to fund milestone and hire but it gave me this error. But when i check grab it showed that it went through and got deducted but after a while it jus auto refunds me back the amount

c5f26e0d_0-1706587466200.png

edit: i added another visa card it also shows same error with same issue

Hi there,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further.

~ Joanne
Upwork
6df67ab8
Community Member

Hello, I am new to upwork and recently posted my first job offer. I want to hire one freelancer, but for some reason when the contract finally runs out and I want to fill it, a notification pops up saying that there is a problem with my card and that I should change it or contact support. I don't know what's going on, my card should be fine.

Thanks for the reply

My payment also late i was done my work 1 month ago but payment not yet

They said their procedure will complete on 31 january and release all payment but not yet

Verify that your card is actually working from your bank so you don't work on assumptions.

Hi Natalie,

I looked closely, and it appears your bank is declining the transaction you're trying to process. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists after you've contacted them, please let us know, and we'll be happy to assist you further. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
0f0f8f95
Community Member

I registered the credit card but all the cards was error. 

Hi Satoru,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while using your billing method. Your report has been forwarded to our team and you will receive a support ticket from one of our agents who will help you with your issue. You can access your support tickets here

- Pradeep 

Upwork
0400208f
Community Member

Im unable to use my payoneer cards as a payment method to fund a contract and hire a freelancer. Please check attached and let me know if there's a solution for this. Mind you i have already used them on a different platform and they worked.

Hi Ganna,

I'm sorry you're having trouble processing payments when trying to hire a talent for a project. In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card.

I see that you've raised a support ticket about your concern. Please allow our team time, and you will get an update on your ticket and email once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

For now, you may contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the charge decline. Then, relay all important information you can gather from your bank to our support team so that they can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f091b380
Community Member

I have tried multiple cards as I thought it is my card issue but.. I am not able to make payment for the job. I raised support request and upwork team member suggested me to remove and re add card as he can see that it is authentication issue from upwork. I tried that and still no luck. I am trying to report on the same requestbutno one is responding there. Upwork chat bot is not allowing me to open a new ticket as one is open. This is becoming quite urgent now as I am facing this from so long. 

Any help will be great

Thanks in advance!! 

Hi Divyang,

I'm sorry to learn you're having trouble with this. I can see that a team member is already assisting you via your ticket, and they've recently responded to you. 

To help us streamline the process, please refrain from creating multiple tickets or posts about the same issue. This allows our team to assist you more efficiently and get you the best possible outcome faster. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
f9b3680a
Community Member

Hello,

I'm trying to make an offer but altough I tried my very best on trying new credit cards etc. nothing works and upwork declines my payment methods. I called the bank and they said there is nothing wrong on our side. Please contact me as soon as possible.

Hi Can,

I looked closely, and It appears your bank is declining the transaction you're trying to process. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists after you've contacted them, please let us know, and we'll be happy to assist you further. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
f9b3680a
Community Member

Hello Arjay,

I tried 5 different credit cards from other friendly companies. But none of them worked. And like I mentioned, I called the bank and they said problem is not on their side. Please help me to make my payments as soon as possible.

I have checked the community and other Turkish people are having the same issue, problem is not the bank we can pay on other websites.

Best Regards
Can

Thank you for your response Can,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
caf4289f
Community Member

I have a kind of issue while sending an offer. 

Also my money was taken twice in different times.  From Turkey

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths