🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Re-verify : what does it mean?
Page options
slawomir_rewaj
Community Member

pointless re-verify

Hello,

I'm a top rated freelancer and I verified my identity last month. Now I have got the same request again.

Taking 10 minutes to do it is not a big deal, although I would prefer that Upwork respects my time rather then feeling entitled to waste it on pointless excercises.
I have passed it and it was no different then the previous one.

The bigger issue is that my account is on temporary hold and it lasts longer then 10 minutes. Upwork claims that it has up to 48 hours to release it.
I'm worried about how this is presented to the clients.

The main question is - why do Upwork even does it so often? Do you think that my identity changed within a month?

Kind regards

Slawek

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jae Sung, 

At times, for a variety of reasons, we need to ask our users to verify their identity or other information. Please know we do try to avoid doing this repeatedly. However, as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, we must reach out to users again sometimes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To verify your identity, log into your Upwork account and click on “Settings.” In the left-hand column, choose “Identity Verification.” Follow the steps there to begin verification. For tips on correctly completing the process and details about the documents needed, click here.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

638 REPLIES 638

Re-verify means that you have previously done video verification.

And you are being asked to do so again.

It's NOT A BIG DEAL.

It would be a waste of your time to try to determine why. It could simply be random luck of the draw.

IT IS NOT an English language skills exam.

You won't be speaking English for 10 minutes.

re: "Hope someone to help me."

There is nothing to "help."

Just follow the instructionsn you received and get it over with.

Thanks for your help.

Preston H wrote:

Re-verify means that you have previously done video verification.

And you are being asked to do so again.

It's NOT A BIG DEAL.

It would be a waste of your time to try to determine why. It could simply be random luck of the draw.

IT IS NOT an English language skills exam.

You won't be speaking English for 10 minutes.

re: "Hope someone to help me."

There is nothing to "help."

Just follow the instructionsn you received and get it over with.

It might be used to verify the English skill which he has set to fluent.

ha ha...well it sure isn't! This is the prompt I got after submitting my drivers license (against my better judgement, btw): Verify the Liveness....Clicking on this link with take you to our help center where you can verify your "liveness" and continue. Liveness? Really? Uh, not in the English vocabulary people. (see screenshot) Makes me very suspicious about this whole verification thing!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergei, 

I have confirmed this with the team and you will need to re-verify your identity. Kindly follow the instructions on the email notification you received to verify your identity. Feel free to follow up on the same ticket thread if you have further questions about the process, and the team will assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks.

My ID was verified 2 years ago and I have been away from Upwork until now. I am now back and would like to do a video verification. What is the procedure and what do I do? I don't see any link that shows where a video verification could be initiated.

Please help...

Hi Felix,

Unfortunately freelancers can't initiate the video verification process from their end. Once it is requested our team will reach out to you with detailed instructions on how to complete the short verification process. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran, for the response.

But I would very much appreciate it if Upwork Support can contact me soon soI get that done.

Thanks

Action required: verify your identity

I tried couple times and retake multiple ID photo, but keep get error

"We couldn't verify your ID

Please try again with a valid official government ID."

My driver's license is currently valid, and does not expire until 12/29/2024.
Please let me know how to pass this verification process.

I requested support from Upwork completing the identity verification process on January 10th and was assisted by a staff member on January 11th.

How frequently will I have to re-verify using a broken automated process? Do I need to create a support ticket each time?

Hi Mengyu, 

I want to confirm that we have several verification processes. This helps us verify that a user's identity is legitimate and they are who they say they are, which keeps the marketplace safe from fraudulent users. 

Although it may seem that the processes are the same, they are for different purposes. On Upwork, users may be asked to verify their identities from time to time. You may read more about it in Section 1.6 Identity and Location Verification of the Upwork User Agreement.

Kindly complete the verification by following the steps in the notification to lift the temporary hold on your account.

~ Avery
Upwork

My account has been suspended for a long time now, I have tried several things but just don't understand what the problem is ?

Please help me get started with you. My account is old, and since then i have been trying to get my account to work. Please help.

Hi Sujal,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and found that an email was sent to you giving you instructions on what to do to lift the suspension on your account. Here's the corresponding ticket. Kindly check the email that was sent to you and reply to that email to restart your verification process. Please make sure that you already have the needed documents requested by our team.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello;

I'm new in Upwork, I submitted my ID for verification but now it's 4 weeks, I think it's too long I'm worrying and don't know what to do.

I didn't receive any massage or email from Upwork if they need another photo for the verification I don't know what to do. 

Could you help me?

All the best 

Hi Ismail,

I have checked your account and looks like it doesn't need further verification just yet. Please note that you will not be able to initiate the identity verification yourself and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete your verification. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello madame. My name is Dilusha Aryan Serasinghe I submitted my identity verification methods on 24th of December and still no response. I initially have a contact who assigned me work and Upwork says if I didn't verify my identity within the 31st they would not let me win jobs. So what will happen to my client and the work I'm doing for him currently? Will I receive payment. Please send me the response for my submitted verification ID.

Hi Aryan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you don’t verify your identity within 7 days of notification we will place a hold on your account. The hold will prevent you from withdrawing earnings, submitting proposals to new jobs, accepting direct hires, or showing up in search results. Any active proposals that have been submitted will be canceled. The hold will not affect your ability to work on existing contracts and we will be happy to remove it once you’ve verified your identity. 

You can find more information here

Additionally, I shared your concern with the team handling your case and they will review your documents as soon as possible.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi,

It's been three days since I submitted my ID for verification. I got a notification that says I need to verify my identity by February 2, 2023. I am worried that the verification process might take more days and not make it by February 2nd. Will you please help me with this? Thank you.

Hi Marianne,

I checked your profile and can see it is being reviewed. In the meantime, you can still work on improving your profile and resubmit it with any changes.
To help you create a complete and quality profile, check out these Upwork Academy courses:
If you experience any issues with your profile submission or review, please contact support by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner in the Upwork Help. You will be asked what type of account you need help with and to describe your issue or questions. Please select the best option for your situation. If you’d like to speak to an agent, you can request that via the chatbot.

~ AJ
Upwork

I have a Clent and an Agency account both of which have been restricted to pay freelancers and receive payments. I do not have any registered business with my Agency and Client account name. Why Upwork is asking for Utility bills under the Agency name all of a sudden? There was no such requirement for a registered business name initially at the time of account creation.

This is really unprofessional, my accounts used to work fine when I had premium Freelancer, Client and Agency memberships but all of a sudden all this happened once I changed my premium memberships to a free membership since I was okay with the basic features and connects.

Really unexpected for a publicly listed company.

Kindly help and check out these tickets which have been closed without any reason from your end :

Thanks

Hi Rajat,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Our team actively checks users' accounts and if re-verification is needed, we let you know right away by giving you instructions on how to proceed.

I checked the tickets and as per the instruction, you may reply to the email once you have the required documents in order to retry verifying your account and the ticket shall be opened again. They also gave you a secure link where you can upload the needed files.

Please let us know if further assistance is needed.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie, 

The links are not working and I don't know which email to reply to. The ticket has been marked as solved. Could you open a new ticket, please?

Thanks

Hi Rajat,

Thank you for your message. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

This is regarding the Identity Verification process for freelancers.

Hello, I am from India.

Currently I have only 1 government issued ID (its a PAN Card) which has my Signature, Name, DOB, Photograph but it doesn't have my Address on it. I have other government issued IDs which have every detail on them except my signature.

Therefore I am confused what to do since Upwork allows me to send only 1 photograph (that too, without any editing) for Identity Verification. I can give all the required data if I am allowed to send 2 IDs for verification.

Also, some of those IDs are two-sided, therefore requiring two photographs to show all the required details.

I contacted upwork customer support but there has been no reply from the Identity Verification Team yet.

What should I do ? 

Hi Meghraj,

I am sorry to hear about your account status. I reached out to the team handling your case and shared your report. One of our agents will follow up with you on your ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork

My verification status has been pending for the last week and it's supposed to be one business day

Hi David,

I am sorry to hear about your account status. I reached out to the team handling your case and shared your report. One of our agents will follow up with you on your ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi, I am here for my account/ID verification issue. It's nearly 3 days that I submitted my ID card and photo to upwork as well as I have changed my address according to my ID card. So why is upwork taking so much time to verify my ID. One last thing, the photo in my ID card was taken in 2015. Does it cause any problem??? What's the actual reason? Anyone can help me to figure it out.

Hi Md Jibon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

I'm having the same issue, becuase I changed my profile picture. I didn't change any other information. I don't care for your snarky responses, or the defensive responses of the other "gurus" on this thread. How is it helpful to toss attitude at someone asking an honest question about an inconvenient situation? I was just blocked from submitting a bid, and came looking for help in the community forum, and found these ridiculously childish remarks. If you feel the need to be dismissive to people looking for answers to their problems, then maybe you've been a "guru" for too long. I'm sure I will get plenty of snapbacks from this post, and that's fine with me. The fact still remains that having to re-verify my identity everytime I use this platform is ridiculous, and a good enough reason to tell other people to stay away from UpWork.

Hi Olga,

I'd like to confirm that the two verification processes you completed are indeed separate. I'll check the notification you recently received, which is related to the previous verification process you completed.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Olga,

I'd like to confirm that the two verification processes you completed are indeed separate. I'll check the notification you recently received, which is related to the previous verification process you completed.

Any news?

michael80wight
Community Member

Hi 

Why am I being asked to re-verify my identity again when my profile shows I made the call and passed the verification process a few years ago?

Thanks

re: "Why am I being asked to re-verify my identity again when my profile shows I made the call and passed the verification process a few years ago?"

Michael: A lot can happen in a few years.

Why? Who knows? Maybe just random chance. Don't worry about it.

You did it once. You remember it was an easy thing to do.

You should be glad for this, because it means Upwork is working harder than ever to make the platform better for clients, and more profitable for honest freelancers such as yourself. (They are trying to weed out the fakers and scammers.)

Hi Michael, 

I checked your account and it looks like you were able to verify your account already. As noted by the agent who assisted you, please know that this is a necessary step we take to ensure that Upwork stays a safe and secure for our community of users. 

If you have other questions regarding your account, and the verification, you can reach out to the same through the same ticket threads, and they will assist you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
negrusti
Community Member

Hi, I received two video identity verification demands within 2 weeks and had to comply obviously. This starts to get rather annoying. I do travel a lot - this is what digital nomads do!
Email template creators did not even bother to check "click here" link for video verification - it leads to a generic support page. Then, of course, video functionality of Upwork does not work - never worked for me, luckily verification team suggests Google Meeting which works flawlessly.

Upwork - please get your act together and stop harassing freelancers...
--- Rant over ---

Given the incredibly active trade in Upwork accounts underway at the moment, it's not a big surprise that location changes are triggering verification.

There are better ways to handle this problem - browser fingerprinting for example, and Upwork client can have access to hardware IDs of your computer. Quite a lot of people have to work using VPNs and that does not help with location stability either.

simona94
Community Member

Hi,

I video verified my profile about 2 weeks ago, today again I received email to video verify my profile. 
I started chat and video to verify my profile with agent.
The agend asked questions and I answered. One of the questions was for my email address.
I gave him my upwork email address, but i forgot to tell him about my dropbox email address that i gave to my client in upwork message. 

I think my account now is on hold. (Can i receive invites to interview ? Can i be hired?)
Will my account be suspended? 😞

Thanks,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths