🐈
» Forums » Support » Can't change country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Elke,

Could you please share the country where you are currently located so we can check this for you? Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
shrutisipani
Community Member

Trying to create a profile. I am from India. But the country is locked to USA. What do I do?

Hi Shruti,

Your country has been updated as requested. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I am having the same issue. I need to change my country to UAE from USA

Hi Arzoo,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, I need to change my country to Latvia. 

Hi Martin,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
gaed90
Community Member

Hi! I can't change my country to Malta, since I started filling my profile while I was living in Panama. How can I change it now to Malta?

Thanks.

Georgina

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Georgina, 

Your Country was updated to Malta. Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork
gaed90
Community Member

Thank you for so quickly response!

Georgina

nwflfz
Community Member

Hello, I am having the same issue. I need to change my country in the profile to the US, and I am not allowed.

Thank you!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nawfal, 

Your account's location should reflect where you are currently located. If you have also moved to the US already, I recommend that you consult with a local advisor to know what work documents you will need in order to continue working in the US as a freelancer. 

~ Avery
Upwork
briannagorman
Community Member

Hello, all.

I am an American citizen with my permanent residence in the US. I need to change my location but it won't let me. I'm currently studying in Germany and thought I had to put that address on my upwork account, but now it has messed everything up because I am an American who will pay taxes there and I need my upwork account connected to my American address. but it won't let me change it. Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this figured out ASAP because I have a job awaiting payment and can't put the right tax information in because my address is wrong.

TIA!

Hi Brianna,
Your profile seems to be updated automatically with the timezone you're in. Changing your address can trigger Upwork verification. So I would suggest you send a ticket to support and tell them about this issue and follow the process accordingly.
Thanks

Hi Brianna,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
johnpaul-mbuthia
Community Member

I created this account while my VPN was on in which its location was in United States, on realising that my location was in the US at the next page, I tried to go back to change the location after switching off the VPN but I can't change my location because in the last step of create profile, I'm being told to enter my US phone number, which I do not have.

How do I change the location.?
or
Close the account and start again from Step 1 .

JohnPaul:

You'll need to get Upwork's help to change your location.

re: "Close the account and start again from Step 1"

No, don't create a new account. Fix the current account.

Often freelancers can simply tell the Forum moderator what their country SHOULD be, and get that changed quickly.

What country do you live in?

Kenya

Hi JohnPaul,

Your Country was updated to Kenya as per your request.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

I signed up for upwork while in my country Nigeria. I also verified my upwork account using my nigeria documents.

I am relocating to Australia to further my studies.

I don't want to manually change my location since it could trigger verification again.

Please kindly assist me.

Hi Solomon,

Once you`ve relocated feel free to update your address to reflect your new location. If any additional verifications are needed, our team will reach out to you via ticket with more details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ilovemelaiuw
Community Member

Hi, I am on the process of completing my profile so I can submit it but in the location set up, it is defaulted to US and this field is grayed out and is not allowing me to change it to my location. How am I able to change it? Thank you!

**Edited for community guidelines**

I have the same issue. I have a Dominican ID

Hi Melinda,

Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

What about my location? The Dominican Republic?

Hi Betsy,

Your Country was updated as per your request. Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you!
muhammadali_io
Community Member

Hi
I created my upwork profile today and I accidentally chose United Kingdom in the countries and now I'm unable to change it from 'Create Profile' option.
Any help will be appreciated.

Oh I forgot to add the country, it should be Pakistan.
Thanks

*edited

Hi Muhammad,

Your country has been updated to Pakistan. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Dominican Republic too please

please kindly update my location to Australia. Or should I do it from my
end?

please kindly update my location to Australia. Or should I do it from my
end?

Hi Solomon,

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your location needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. 

Your Country was updated as you requested. 

Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork

How are you doing?

I just opened my mail to see another verification email after I had been
verified and given the blue barge.

I am a Nigerian and I verified my Upwork account with my Nigerian details.

My location was changed by an agent to reflect my new location as requested
by me as I would be relocating to Australia to further my education.

Although I would not like to pass through those verification stage again
since I did that before but i have submitted my details including my bank
statement as requested for another verification

daniels_crbiz
Community Member

Hello I am American and I live in Both Australia and the Philippines,
I cant finish my profile due to upwork locking my account to the USA which i haven't lived in since 2014 so I do not have a way of getting a text message.

Hi Daniel, 

In order to remove phone verification process, your country, and address needs to be updated. I should be able to update your country from my end. Could you please confirm the country I should update it to?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello Avery O Please slect the Philippines as thats where we will be located Thank you.

Hi Daniel, 

Your country is now updated to the Philippines. Please update your address by going to your Contact Info page, and typing-in the address that reflects your actual location. 

~ Avery
Upwork
katraj0908
Community Member

I started an account a while ago while I lived in the United States, but I now live in the Netherlands and cannot change the country. Any help? 

Hi Katya,

Your country is now updated, feel free to update your the rest of your address by going to Settings > Contact Info > Location. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths