🐈
» Forums » Support » Can't change country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Mercy,

You should be able to update your location by going to Settings > Contact Info and making the changes under the Location section. Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. 

Additionally, one of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi,

My country was updated to Spain. I live in Spain. I'm loging in from Spain! Why is it that I can't choose any Spain city from the Locations dropdown menu? I'm just able to choose from USA cities. It's been a few days and still I can't choose my address.

Thanks!

Zenaida

Hi Zenaida,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with completing your address information.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks
meilin13
Community Member

I need to add my USA address but its not letting me, I moved around a bit so changed address now going bach to American one since its where I pay taxes, but its telling me to add street address but when I click on it it doesn't allow me to enter anything

**Edited for community guidelines**

lysis10
Community Member

banned for NO REASON incoming.

It's where you're located not where you pay taxes.

meilin13
Community Member

Thanks for reply although did not quite understand. I need to change since
am headed back, any suggestions how to make it available
thanks
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Meilin,

Your country should reflect the one you're physically located in and be able to verify it.

Could you please confirm if you're currently located in the US? 

~ Bojan
Upwork
anders10
Community Member

hello, I originally started my account in the UK, now moved to the US and want to change my address and country. It is not letting me do this. It just says I need to make sure the tax info is updated, which I have done. How can I change my location? I think someone at Upwork needs to change this for me.

thanks

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Heather,

Your country was updated as per your request to the US. Let us know if you need any further assistance. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
a_pamuk
Community Member

Hi, 
I am a freelancer and I had my account when I was outside the United States in Morocco. I am now in the U.S. and allowed to work but Upwork won't let me change my location. It is requiring that I provide a W-8BEN form but then doesn't have any place for me to upload it. 

Can someone please explain how do we do this?

Thanks, 

Abeer

Edit

Hi Abeer,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
897ba04b
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

I am experiencing some issues when I try to edit the "Location" in my profile.

I created the profile while leaving in Switzerland, but I am now resident in France.

Could you please help me out making the necessary change?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Giovanna,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks a lot for taking such a prompt action.
Best,

Giovanna
493bb8cb
Community Member

Hello hope you are doing great I am new here it shows my country name is  fier, Albania can you guide me how I can change my country to Pakistan? please

Hi Badar,

~ Goran
Upwork

##- Thank you so much sir -##
bukyyy
Community Member

I'll like to update my location to the United Kingdom

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Bukola,

~ Goran
Upwork
hasmik_sngryan
Community Member

Hey, 
Can anyone help me to change my country to Antwerp, Belgium?

Thanks

09d7351b
Community Member

Hello! 

I am doing updates on my profile and I am trying to update my country to the United States (Los Angeles), I am based here since a few weeks back. Can I get assistance in this? 

Thanks a lot! Best, Karin S

Hi Karin,

Your country is now updated, feel free to update the rest of your address. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi! Thanks for the help. 

Although I am having a bit of a problem, after the location change I need to verify my ID again (I have already done this first time signing up). I can now only choose the US documents (US passport, driving license, etc), which I don't have. I will be based in the US for a few months so I thought that it is best to update my location to the US, but I will not have a US passport, driving license, green card or other just because that. My origin is still Sweden, and I have tried to upload my Swedish driving license again but that did not work.

How should I proceed? I need to verify to be able to send proposals and get paid etc.

Thanks! 
Best,

Karin S

Hi Karin, 

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. 

If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. 

We won't be able to advise you regarding your visa type and a permit to work in the US. You may want to discuss that with a legal adviser. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello! 
I understand. I was under the belief that it was just the location (timezone etc) that was updated, not the actual country of origin and tax system.

I think it is best to change my location back to Sweden then, since I will continue to pay the taxes to the Swedish gov, and will only be in the US for a short amount of time. 

Can you change it to Sweden again? Thank you! 
Best,
Karin S

Hello!
I understand. I was under the belief that it was just the location
(timezone etc) that was updated, not the actual country of origin and tax
system.
I think it is best to change my location back to Sweden then, since I will
continue to pay the taxes to the Swedish gov, and will only be in the US
for a short amount of time.

Can you change it to Sweden again? Thank you!
Best,
Karin S

Hi Karin,

You should be able to change your country by going to Settings > Contact info and clicking the pencil icon next to the location section. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
aditi3290
Community Member

I created my upwork profile when I was in India but never submitted it, now I have moved to Canada and need to change my location.

The location field is not editable. Can someone please help me out and guide me on how to change my location.

Hi Aditi,

~ Goran
Upwork
ahmed_elboshi
Community Member

hi i wanna change my country because it set to sudan due i was in sudan when i created account to meet client could you change it to Saudi Arabia please

Hi Ahmed,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
s_saife
Community Member

I'm Salauddin Ibne Saife. I move to the UK from Bangladesh. I edited it on my profile. Will be any problem`? Do I need to do something else, will it create any problem in my Upwork account?

shayaike
Community Member

If there is any problem, Upwork will inform you, and if they want to verify, they will call you and ask for providing Document.

Hi Salauddin,

As you moved to another country, you should update your account location which is what you did. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
nicocolu
Community Member

Hi. When I started using Upwork, I was living in Argentina. But now, since a while I moved to Italy.

I need to change my location as to configure a new bank account. As my account is set in Argentina, I can only configure an ARS bank account or USD.

I need to change my location to Italy as to configure a new Euro bank account.

Thanks and regards

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

~ Goran
Upwork
flormongelos
Community Member

Hi!

When I started using the platform I was leaving in one country, but now I moved to Italy. I need to change my location so to have my new local bank account related. As my previous bank account was from Argetina I can only configure an ARS bank account.

I need to change my location to Italy so to have an EUR bank account.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best regards,

Hi Florencia,

Your country is updated as well, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ffa81c97
Community Member

Can you please help me change my country location from the US to Trinidad and TObago,

thank you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths