🐈
» Forums » Support » I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile pic...
Page options
c6c7a244
Community Member

I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile picture with it on?

I wear a veil so i didn't upload my picture on my profile, instead used a cartoon. Now that i know there is no way around it and i have to put my real picture, I'm trying to change the picture and i cant. I have sent upwork my verification request already with my ID and real picture. I'm scared of they will suspend me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Hala,

To complete your Upwork profile and start submitting proposals, you must upload a profile portrait photo. Profile photos must be an actual picture of you. This is important for both verifying your identity and connecting with potential clients. Check out this article for A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture.

If you would like to request a religious exemption for using a profile picture, please: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

264 REPLIES 264
prestonhunter
Community Member
AndreaG

Hi Hala,

To complete your Upwork profile and start submitting proposals, you must upload a profile portrait photo. Profile photos must be an actual picture of you. This is important for both verifying your identity and connecting with potential clients. Check out this article for A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture.

If you would like to request a religious exemption for using a profile picture, please: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea,

I have problem with changing my profile picture. I am a muslim woman and I wear a niqab (veil) to cover my face due to religious obligations. I have tried to upload my picture with niqab as my profile picture but Upwork did not let me change it. I also have sent a ticket to Get Support but no reply so far.

Today I saw :exclamation_mark:️After review, we have determined that your profile picture does not meet Upwork requirements. Update your photo.

I immediately uploaded my photo, but Upwork has not approved it either. My profile picture still shows my logo as my profile picture. Then I received an email asking me to update my profile picture. What shall I do now?

FYI, my contract has started and I have been working. My husband and I work for a company in China through Upwork.

Please assist me in this regard.

Thank you.

~Hasna

Hi Hasna,

I would be happy to help. I checked and you should now be able to upload a profile photo with the veil. Could you please try again to upload your profile photo with the veil and let us know if you experience any issues?

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi,

I have changed it but then I saw Action required: Verify your identity by 12/14/2022 UTC to continue winning jobs on Upwork. Get started. after I re-uploaded my ID card to fulfill Upwork's request by one of the Upwork team.

Please assist me. Thank you.

~Hasna

Hi Hasna

Thank you for your message. Our team is reviewing your ID and will update your account within 1-3 business days.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thank you for your reply.

For your information, I have verified my identity since December 7 and I have been waiting to get ID: Verified badge on my profile.

~Hasna

Hi Hasna,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I am pleased to inform you that your account is verified now.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.

~Hasna

1926e2ca
Community Member

Hi there, I also want to upload a profile picture with a veil. But I am unable to do so.

Hi Naila,

I certainly understand your concern and we appreciate you reaching out here in the Community for your request. You should now be able to upload a profile photo with a veil. Could you please try uploading your preferred profile photo? Let us know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
db4bf17e
Community Member

Hi, there seems to be a problem with the bot it is not giving me the option of additional help.

I am an islamic girl i didn't knew about religious exemption so i had to upload my picture with an uncovered face.But now can you add religious exemption to my id so i can upload a picture with a veil?

regards,

Iqra Ejaz

Hi Iqra,

I've applied this exemption to your account as per your request. Could you please try uploading your profile picture with a veil now?

- Pradeep

Upwork
832a2776
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I am faced with the same issue. Can you resolve this for me?

Thank you.

Hi Wazeera,

Please try updating your profile photo now and let us know if you face any challenges. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
1f6a4485
Community Member

Hi, community, 

Please help me.
My profile is in hijab because it is my religious duty, but Upwork needed my selfie and I did it after some time they rejected it and said "Your profile picture doesn't meet Upwork requirements".

Please can anyone apply for the exemption in my Upwork profile? so I can approvapprovecount ASÀP.

Best,

Hiba

Hi Hiba,

Thank you for your message. Could you please try uploading your real photo with Hijab now? Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your quick response.

Upwork needs my verification again. For this verification, do I need to take my selfie in hijab or without hijab?

And I have one more question. My name on my national ID is only "Hiba" but as Upworks needs a freelancer's second name so I put my father's name in the second name because I always use my father/guardian's name as my second name like "Hiba Yaqoob". Please help me! on this.

Hiba Yaqoob

Warning Popup.PNG

hirairam480
Community Member

Due to religious obligations, i want to upload a profile picture with a veil. But i'm unable to do so. How can i put my picture with a veil on upwork?

Hi Hira,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your request with our team and your profile picture with veil is now approved. Could you please clarify if you need further assistance?

~ Nikola
Upwork
aishh_khann
Community Member

Hi there, due to religious obligations, I want to upload a profile picture with a veil. But I am unable to do so. How can I put my picture with a veil on Upwork? 

Hi Arisha,

Could you please try uploading your picture with a veil now?

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, it's working now. 

Thank you so much,

Arisha

dcf049d7
Community Member

Hi,

This is Hadiya Javed, I joined upwork in 2021 and got my ID verified after uploading my profile picture. Now I wear veil and I tried t to update my picture with a veil, but it got rejected. Is there a way I can put a picture in veil?

Thanks. 

Hi Hadiya,

Could you please try uploading your picture one more time?

~Andrea
Upwork
260e38d6
Community Member

Hi, I need help.

Due to religious obligations, I want to use my veiled profile picture on my Upwork account but that is not uploading. Recently, I got to know that Upwork allows veiled profile pictures but I am still struggling with the same issue. I had created my account in 2020 but since then didn't use it because of this hindrance. I have hidden my profile due to the inability to upload my veiled profile picture so could never bid on any project even though my profile is almost complete. Please help me solve this problem. Thanks

Hi Hira,

Can you please check if the image you're trying to upload is in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png format and at least 250px by 250px? Also, make sure that it's a clear photo of yourself, not a long shot and your face is clearly visible. If it meets those requirements and you still can't upload it then please try clearing your cache and cookies and using a different browser to check if the problem persists.

~ AJ
Upwork

I am a Muslim so cannot upload a profile picture which shows my face as I cover my face with a veil. Please help me regarding that. 

Hi Hira,

We'll be happy to provide an exemption for this. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time?

~Andrea
Upwork
260e38d6
Community Member

Thank you, its working now.

12aae52d
Community Member

Hi, 

I have my own picture set as a profile picture with my face covered (due to my religious beliefs). During ID verification, I got a notification that my profile picture doesn't match the selfie and asked to update the profile picture according to Upwork's policies. Please help me in this regard to complete ID verification process successfully.

Hi Maliha,

Thank you for your message. Could you please try uploading your photo now?

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

It has been resolved and my ID is now verified. Thank you for the assistance, Mr. Pradeep.

Glad to hear that, Maliha. Feel free to reach us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hey, i want to havw religious exemption for my profile picture before my account gets suspended. Kindly help

61d7c60a
Community Member

Hi,

I have recently joined the Upwork community, but without putting a profile picture showing my face (I only put a logo). For personal reasons, I do not wish to share my picture online.

In the meantime I have worked for a client and have completed the contract. I have received a notification letting me know that I should verify my identity, which I did. However, I have received a message telling me that I have to update my profile picture and that, "Until this is fixed, your profile and/or proposals may not be visible to some clients, and you may not be able to complete identity verification.".

Sadly, I will I thus leave Upwork -which is a shame because I find it useful. My question is will I get paid for the contract I have worked for? I should receive 180$.

Best,

Saloua

But you knew it was a requirement by upwork that you upload a picture of yourself. You should not have used it if you are unwilling to abide by the rules. I don't think you will be able to access the payment since your account will be suspended if you don't do the verification. 

Hi Saloua,

Could I ask the reason why you don't wish to include a picture of yourself? We can make exceptions for religious reasons, for example. Other than that, without a profile photo that meets our guidelines, you will not be able to use Upwork as we need to know you are who you say you are. Plus, clients tell us a profile photo is critical to trusting that a freelancer is running a professional freelance business. Regarding the Identity Verification request, if you don't complete it and a hold is placed on your account, you will not be able to withdraw funds.

~Andrea
Upwork
61d7c60a
Community Member

Hi Andrea and thanks for your answer. It is indeed for religious reasons (I am wearing a veil). I understand clients prefer freelancers with a photo, but I did not think this would be a requirement for having an account -that's a pity. Is there any way I can get my payment? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths