🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity (ID) Verification
Page options
mihawkkk
Community Member

Identity (ID) Verification

i have trublle with Identity Verification, i live in lebanon, and the only way to verify my identity in lebanon is with passport, but i dont have passport,  is there any other way to work on this platform ?please i need help ASAP

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Mohamad, 

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

You may be asked to complete a visual verification and provide a valid government-issued ID. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,509 REPLIES 1,509

Hi Andre,

I have reached out to the team handling your case and one of the members will reach out to you via email with instructions on how to complete the ID Verification. Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
df13cd8b
Community Member

Hello,

I do not have account verification and I do not see a prompt for such. My question is can I apply successfully for a job position without being verified? and also how can i verify my id because i have not any settings like that in my upwork account. plz help me. thank you

Hi Chamodi,

I checked and it doesn't look like you are required to complete any verification at the moment. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
3f351881
Community Member

Hi, I turned 18 this July and have applied for my national ID card, which would be issued to me after one month by the government of Pakistan. So, I need time extension to verify my ID (up to 30-45 days)

Hi Zarish,

Thank you for your message. You can complete ID verification anytime when you have the required documents with you. There may be a temporary hold placed on your account until you complete the verification. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
86ae9c94
Community Member

hello upwork team. I am facing this problem in approving my identity. i have uploaded a clear photo of my government ID card pic that matches all the upwork policy. kindly check my profile and approve my identity please.

Hi Saud,

Thank you for your message. Our team will review and update your account in 24-48 hours.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
15d8d6e2
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

I have verify my id twice and I have been rejected twice. I am adekunle from Nigeria and I only have two ID card which is Voter's Card and National ID(slip). But my voter card was rejected twice and I only have National ID card which is (slip), Pls can I use the slip?.  Pls I need help with this, can I use My slip National ID (Because Here in Nigeria we have not received plastic National ID card).

Pls I really need help on this Because I have my money on the account. Thanks in advance.

Hi Adekunle,

The documents we accept include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

Please review your support ticket here for further advice our team shared with you.

~Andrea
Upwork
744912c8
Community Member

Unable to verify my ID, I've tried 2 different forms of ID and 3 different pictures following the guidlines. Any help would be appreciated.
: )

I got this message after one attempt: "You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID.
To verify your identity so that you can access all jobs, please contact customer support."

(I'd like to note here that this message contains very poor sentence structure, haha : )

I was sent an email with no links, or ways to communicate. Just notifies me that my account is on hold. When I reached out there is no indication of how customer service will contact me. 

: )

No response from customer service. 

Hi Kristopher,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties verifying your ID. However, I can confirm that you were able to reach out to the appropriate team and you should be getting an update through this support ticket once your case has been reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
744912c8
Community Member

Hi Arjay. When I click the link you posted I see this... not very reassuring : )

744912c8_0-1660337910582.png

Hi Kristopher,

Please note that email notifications will be sent once there are updates on your active tickets. Please allow our team time to review and please keep an eye on that email. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
6ae17430
Community Member

Hello! I am new to upwork, I tried several times admitting a photo of my passport that is still in good standing, I now understand the requirements as far as the picture goes. It won't let me apply to any jobs and when I send a help ticket I get no response. Is there any way to further validate my identity ? I have not received an answer 😞

Hi Carlie,

I have reached out to the team handling your case and you should be getting an email with instructions on how to complete your ID verification. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team through that email if you need further assistance. You can also check for updates on the support ticket that's been set up with the same concern. You can access your tickets here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
165bd7d1
Community Member

HI! 

the page Identity Verification can't be open because of error 404 

What to do with this ! 

I need start work but I can't

please help

Hi Bohdan,

I have checked your account and It looks like it doesn't need to be verified just yet. Please note that you will not be able to initiate the identity verification yourself and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete your verification. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
2ee19826
Community Member

I want to be verified yet I do not have verification setting in my Upwork account . How to solve this?

Hi Arven,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are slowly rolling this option out to freelancers. When you become eligible, we’ll notify you when you log into our site. You’ll be asked to upload an official government ID and meet with us for a quick video call. Once you successfully verify your identity, a badge will be added to your Upwork profile.

~ AJ
Upwork
cadb0f37
Community Member

I signed up on upwork a long time ago. Back then I turned off visibility to finish my portfolio and resume. However, according to verification link (https://www.upwork.com/ab/identity-verification/) in the ID verification articles doesn't seem to work for me. When I go to my profile I don't see ID verification section either. I would like to know how I can solve the issue, thank you.

Best Regards,

Madiyar Ibrayev

Hey buddy, actually it might not be showing due to uneligibility. Upwork usually send notification to the people who are eligible for verificatiom. Most probably, you won't have done any order. As soon as you complete one, you will get notification to verify your identity from upwork, and that's when it showed up in settings i.e., id verification tab.

It was in my case, and hope you get it soon too, good luck.

Hope I was helpful.

Hi Madiyar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are slowly rolling this option out to freelancers. When you become eligible, we’ll notify you when you log into our site. You’ll be asked to upload an official government ID and meet with us for a quick video call. Once you successfully verify your identity, a badge will be added to your Upwork profile.

~ AJ
Upwork
91a850c9
Community Member

I made a change in my Profile Name from "Ahmad Khan" to "Areeba shahzadi khan " to match it with my Government ID. But right now when I click on Identity Verification I still see "Ahmad Khan" as Name so I am not able to verify my account.kindly Help , How to resolve this issue?

Hi Areeba,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have already responded to the support ticket initiated on your Upwork account. One of our team members will reach out to you as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
marine_mari
Community Member

Hello,
I have a problem with visual verification. I uploaded a photo of my passport and then I wanted to do a visual verification with a selfie. However, I had trouble with a connection and I canceled this stage. Then I connected again and wanted to proceed but in a section on Identity Verification, there is no activated link to proceed at that stage. There are only articles with the instructions. 
Could you, please, help me to solve this issue?
Thank you in advance!

Hi Marina,

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with a different browser to see if the issue persists?

~Andrea
Upwork

The same situation...Screenshot_1.png

Thanks for confirming, Marina. I've checked this with the team, could you please try again and let me know if the issue persists?

~Andrea
Upwork

Yes, this time it works, thank you a lot!

m_sabhaya
Community Member

Hello All,

I submitted 10 proposals, But suddenly it was 0. and I see all of them on the "Archived" tab with "Withdrawn" status.
So, my Connects is fail? OR will credit? Can I try for a new job? It will Withdraw?

Also, I did 3 jobs and get payments also, But there I can see only my old 2 jobs. and, the last job is not showing on my profile.

Thank you...
Mitul Chhabhaya

Hi Mitul,

I checked and it looks like your account was recently restricted in regards to an Identity Verification request. Please know that, when this kind of hold is placed on an account, your proposals are withdrawn because you're not able to start any contract. Since you've verified your identity already the hold has been lifted and you can proceed as normal. Regarding the contract you're referring to, it looks like it is a Direct Contract. Please know that, since you and your client are only using Upwork for payments, Direct Contracts are not included in your Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello Andrea,

Thanks for the reply,

As I read the article, The Direct Contracts I need to pay a 3.4% processing fee, What is the extra cost?
contract value is 15 - 3.4% = 14.49. But I received only 13.74

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mitul

Hi Mitul,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The $0.75 was for your withholding tax. You can check this article to learn more about how we deduct tax as per your country's policy.

~ AJ
Upwork
mohsin013
Community Member

Hello All, 

It has been three years since I began using Upwork. There has never been a problem in the past, but in the past few weeks there has been a problem. It is unclear to me what is wrong with the Upwork team. In the first instance, I was required to submit my IDs and other documents, which I did twice. After several follow-ups and raising a ticket, my ID was verified. The problem now lies with the location settings. I have provided my national identification card on which it is clearly stated that I reside in the United Arab Emirates. Upwork has rejected the document. I am not aware of what other proof they require. Currently, I am on vacation in my country, and the only proof I can provide is my ID card, which continues to be rejected. If you would like to contact me, please call my UAE phone number at **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The message informs me that in order to be considered for jobs, I must specify my location. 

I would really appreciate it if someone comes and guide me. 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

Fahad

Hi Muhammad,

I took a closer look at your account and it looks like your ID has been verified. You should be seeing the ID Verified badge on your profile as confirmation. Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
033ece5f
Community Member

Hello, i took up my first contract and after that i got prompted to verify my identity and after sending my id i got declined and was asked to provide a passport which i dont have (i am on an 11 month waiting list) and its not allowing me to send any other type of verification.

However now my payments are pending and i am wondering can this be caused by the identity verification?

I dont want my earnings to vanish, so i want to also ask if i can use anything other than a passport or a driving license to verify my account.

kind regards.

Mohamad:
I am not sure that your interpretation of these requirements is correct.

You are telling us that Upwork is requiring that you show them a passport.

I have never heard that Upwork requires freelancers to show a passport, without other alternative options.

I read this Help document, and I did not see any mention of such a requirement.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067788-Location-Government-ID-Verification

You may use a valid government-issued ID. Which is a very reasonable requirement for verifying your identity. It does not need to be a passport, and it does not need to be a driver's license. Many freelancers use Upwork who do not have a passport and who do not have a driver's license. Many people carry government-issued photo identification cards or documents which are neither passports nor driver's licenses.

Thank you Preston,

Yes i am positive it only had the passport option the next time i tried to reverify my identity.

But thankfullty the support team reached out to me and fixed my problem.

Here is a photo of the problem.

Hi Mohamad,

Preston is correct. You should also be receiving an email notification from us if further verification needs to be performed on your account. I can actually see that the team handling your case has reached out to you with information and assistance on how to complete your ID verification. Please refer to this support ticket and don't hesitate to communicate if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths