🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » End-product for Web Dvelopment
Page options
abdul_hadi25
Community Member

End-product for Web Dvelopment

Greetings, I have a small question here. Like when you get hired for, let's say, a project for constructing a website for the client. What is the end-form deliverables that I need to hand over to my client as the milestone submission? Just asking generally. Like how can we hand him/her the created website through Upwork? It would really help as I'm new to web development jobs here. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Abdul, most of the clients I work with allow me to work on their web server directly, so I just make modifications in place. I suppose doing it this way, it's possible that a client could take the work and not pay on a fixed price, but that hasn't happened to me. The alternative is to set up a test site yourself and work on it, which the client can view with a web server, then if the client approves the milestone, either upload all the files to the client server, or perhaps put everything in a zip file and send it to the client as an attachment or upload it somewhere like Google Drive or Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yitwail
Community Member

Abdul, most of the clients I work with allow me to work on their web server directly, so I just make modifications in place. I suppose doing it this way, it's possible that a client could take the work and not pay on a fixed price, but that hasn't happened to me. The alternative is to set up a test site yourself and work on it, which the client can view with a web server, then if the client approves the milestone, either upload all the files to the client server, or perhaps put everything in a zip file and send it to the client as an attachment or upload it somewhere like Google Drive or Dropbox.

I see. Thanks a lot!!

You could also setup a git repository (where both you and the client have access), and once everything is ready for release, make a pull on the client's server.

sometimes I use screenshots for "before" and "after" shots, and I keep track of all the changes I've made and then "sum" them up into a nice paragraph or two and use that as achieving a milestone.

I normally develop locally and utilize my own server if the client doesn't offer theirs.  I do it this way because the way I've seen some servers configured is just borderline dangerous to change anything.  I did work for a client and they specifically asked me to develop on their hosting, so I obliged. I was shocked when I accessed the filesystem through WinSCP to see that they had every website ever made for this company going back to 2002.  It was a total mess, just everything scattered everywhere.  I used to offer to clean up the servers for free, not delete things, just organize them better, because it messes with my OCD,  but I've learned to just ignore it.

WINNER OF THE 2019 JD POWER & ASSOCIATES WORDPRESS DEVELOPER OF THE YEAR AWARD 😉 LULZ