🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Re: Is it worth to be a programmer ?
Page options
sr_vd
Community Member

Is it worth to be a programmer ?

Hello everyone, I would like to ask about offering webdev services from the position of a regular freelancer (not company member or companies),  is it worth to concur. I`m on upwork for around one year and some, what I saw mostly, only contracts between 5-500 a big list of technologies you should know and be guru at, like html, css, javascript, react, redux, flux, angular,express.js, ember, vue.js, wordpress, magento, php, photoshop, bootstrap, php, laravel, codeigniter, node.js, preprocessors, custom plugins with custom code and classes, and list goes on and on. Specialization here is impossible as you can see.

At the same time writer or designer using 1 or instruments with decent portfolio can earn even more than you as a programmer.

I love webdevelopment and programming, it`s my job actually, but it seems to me that it`s the worstest choise I made when I started to search for jobs in webdev field, I`m still not sure but probably trying some other field might be more successful approach. Would like to hear few thoughts from programmers if you`ll find a minute to reply. Thank`s.Smiley Happy

8 REPLIES 8
bobafett999
Community Member

@Vladimir S wrote:

At the same time writer or designer using 1 or instruments with decent portfolio can earn even more than you as a programmer.

I love webdevelopment and programming, it`s my job actually, but it seems to me that it`s the worstest choise I made when I started to search for jobs in webdev field, I`m still not sure but probably trying some other field might be more successful approach. Would like to hear few thoughts from programmers if you`ll find a minute to reply. Thank`s.Smiley Happy

Well Vladimir I am not a programmer, but I can see the frustration.  There are several issues:

1. Any one with a laptop can 'claim' to be a programmer and offer rock bottom prices.

2. Most buyers on Upwork come for rock bottom prices.

You should do what you love to do.  Focus on few core skills and build up your portfolio.  If you are fortunate you may land a contract or two that will let you show off your skills and build reputation.  However, if you are counting on making regular living on Upwork you may be in for a shock.  That will not happen in short time.  Also, don't accept prjoects that you can not deliver. And good luck.

Vladimir, your profile's private so can't tell what skills you have, but I totally disagree when you say 'Specialization here is impossible as you can see.'

Very few programming jobs require as many skills as you listed, so a developer should only apply for jobs that require skills he or she has, which he or she has specialized in. Some skills, like html, css, javascript, and php are basic, and thus common to many jobs, but you don't need to know Magento to work on a WordPress site, and vice versa. Same with angular and react -- since both implement more or less the same features, a developer would only need to know one, not both. I can keep coming up with more examples, but I hope you get the picture.

Ok, probably I overpushed this, right now I have only front end skills with javascript and knowledge in couple of javascript frameworks, It seems like I`m not qualified enough to work here. Thank you all for your replies and support.Smiley Happy

caldus
Community Member

Hi Vladimir,

Sometimes, I wonder about that too and have experienced a lot of of what you described. As others have pointed out though, the rock bottom prices comes with the territory unfortunately. I have managed to find a few clients so far that are willing to pay a higher price and at the same time don't expect you to be an expert with everything in the world. They are hard to find though I must admit. But keep looking and don't get discouraged. You just have to keep searching for the right fit.

For me, I have 4-5 regular clients right now. Although a few of the projects are inactive right now. But once you gain a few regular clients and get some good feedback on your profile it starts to become easier to make a living on here. Honestly though, I met most of my clients because they invited me to a job and not because I searched for them. Seems like that is how I find them ... they find me.

I have decided to continue being a freelancer on here despite all of the things you deal with as a freelancer on here ... especially a programmer. I've decided that it is just something you have to be able to accept ... or find another platform to find work at.

At the end of the day, clients who are asking for a fully functioning website with bells and whistles for $100 will get exactly what they pay for. They're also not worth your time anyway so just skip those posts and find the 1 client you do want to work with.

sr_vd
Community Member

Smiley Happy Definitely true, I saw so much posts, same type, "how freelancer failed and I did not expect this because I assumed he can do everything". Well I`ll say, he can`t do everything, someone should put a big red label: designers - design websites, front end`s build interfaces, back end`s are building business logic, it`s just so simple. To be honest it only motivates me to move further and advance my knowledge in other technologies.

eeshwardas
Community Member

If you "get paid", and you can handle the job, and you like programming.  YES.

If you don't like programming so much, think twice about it.  I've seen several people try to pick up programming but they just don't have the love or the knack for it and it never turns out well.

In your case, since you love programming, go to a brick and mortar business and get yourself a salary.

The nature of web development is that the field is always chaning.  Get in with a company and make sure they pay you to continue to advance your skillsets.  This is normal in the industry to be supported to learn new skills on the job.

If you love programming, go for it.  Be a programmer.  I am also good at writing, but I hate it.  Programming is my love also.

When you branch into greater technological range with your programming abilities you will see the payoff.

Web Dev is a very satruated industry.  Advance your skillsets and become more attractive to brick and mortar businesses.

So many writing jobs are fluff and don't add up to what is promissed.  I've been through that with some tech writing job.  Most of them are simply after getting more hits on their website.  Without the programmer, their website wouldn't even exist.

In my area, there are $70K - $100 jobs right down the street from me.

There must be something like that you can tap into.

Because you are so interested in JavaScript, then learn the new Javascript STRICT MODE standards in ES6 and you will find branching out into Java and even C# to be easier.

Not sure where you are located, but in the NorthWest US, there are tons of C# and ASP jobs because Microsoft is there.  These technologies are using object oriented .NET framework that you may be very easy to transition to if you upgrade your Javascript skills.  Use Strict Typing as much as possible and you will see your work become more reliable and robust.

When you know JavaScript very well, technologies like React, Vue.js, Magneto are easy to pick up because so many of these frameworks are built using Javascript as their rudimentary and fundamental source.

Erik Douglas W.
sr_vd
Community Member

Hi Eric, thank`s for sharing,  yes I`m working for a company as a front-end dev, I absolutely agree that web dev is a very saturated industry.

The only thing that keeps my interest is my job, believe it or not, I spend from 10 to 16 hours each day just programming something or doing some additional research on some topic.

Upwork client usually requires an insane stack of technologies and you should be proficient in each and any of these 100%, have at least 5-10 projects made with each technology, and so on and so forth, and let`s not forget that you should be cheap as well.

What no one is realizing, is that we have right now from 10 to 50 active technologies, each project can take from 1 to six months, or even years, each project can be build from ground up or it can be supported,  If I can handle my job at the company what makes clients think that I would not handle it here.  Absurd

eeshwardas
Community Member

Vladamir,

There does appear to be some miscomunication prominent here on Upwork right now.  If your client has any doubts, it is likely not your fault.  You are speaking as a qualified programmer and I can relate with your experiences on Upwork.

Erik Douglas W.