🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Remote, online internship for junior web deve...
Page options
velibor88
Community Member

Remote, online internship for junior web developer. Total beginner!

Hello fellow Upworkers,

I recently graduated, with a bachelors degree in Computer Science.

I'm interested in learning web development, but let's say that I'm really having a hard time getting an internship. Is there a possibility to get a web development(javascript,html,css, later some back end too) internship on Upwork? Are there any clients that you are familiar with, who offer this? I would be willing to work for a very modest fee and I really have an immense desire to learn. Sorry, if this sounds weird, I literally don't know who to ask anymore. I don't have any confidence to apply for web developer jobs yet and the clients that are looking for junior web devs are pretty scarce. Please help!

Thanks guys and girls !

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gbalint
Community Member

I don't know the country you're in (I assume US), but here are hired people with no background in computers whatsoever. Like people working in agriculture are hired as developers.

Maybe there (US?) there's some competition, but internationally any Tom, Dick Van Dyke Van Dick Van Dyke Van Dyke or Harry is going to be hired as long as he sends a CV and actually shows up to the interview (and doesn't ask for 1000 euros per month or more).

With that said, the only enemy is yourself. I've worked for more than 10 years as a software dev/engineer/architect/consultant/freelancer/ninja/guru/lead/whatever and even today I'm still reading the PHP.net documentation and learn things I never heard of before just to do some menial task.

I don't think you know how Upwork works, but generally the people hired struggle with English. I won't even get into talking about their technical skills.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
bobafett999
Community Member

Congratulations for getting a degree.

On Upwork it may not be possible.  But here is what I had done.  I wrote letters to many 'reputed' design houses (most web design jobs on Upwork are low end) and offered them free labor.  I did get one internship for few months.  The best advice I can give you is to learn skills on your own.  Create few sample killer sites and include them in your portfolio.  You are young you have the necessary background to understand the coding and learn wordpress.  The sites I visit for inspiration are onepagelove.com and awwwards.com.

I appreciate the reply Prashat! 

Although I am not looking for a web design internship, as  I definitely lack the necessary photoshop skills. 

velibor88
Community Member

Hello,

I'm interested to know whether there are freelancers that managed to land a paid internship via Upwork.

Since I recently graduated, I do not have sufficient confidence to apply for jobs and truth be told not many clients are looking for a junior web developer. 

Does anyone have any wisdom to share? 

I am aware that I need to have a number of projects as a web developer in my portfolio and maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I definitely need a mentor in this( someone with sufficient patience for a guy who can really work the hardest). 

Any advice is appreciated. Especially from web developers.

gbalint
Community Member

I don't know the country you're in (I assume US), but here are hired people with no background in computers whatsoever. Like people working in agriculture are hired as developers.

Maybe there (US?) there's some competition, but internationally any Tom, Dick Van Dyke Van Dick Van Dyke Van Dyke or Harry is going to be hired as long as he sends a CV and actually shows up to the interview (and doesn't ask for 1000 euros per month or more).

With that said, the only enemy is yourself. I've worked for more than 10 years as a software dev/engineer/architect/consultant/freelancer/ninja/guru/lead/whatever and even today I'm still reading the PHP.net documentation and learn things I never heard of before just to do some menial task.

I don't think you know how Upwork works, but generally the people hired struggle with English. I won't even get into talking about their technical skills.

So - you definitely believe that a person can find an internship online(Upwork)? Is that what you're saying?

sharonliu
Community Member

I would advise that you build up a portfolio of work, as you learn web development by looking at online tutorials. You will know that you have reached the right level, if your portfolio contains work on par with what you already see in online sites.

That's what I've been thinking about doing. Although, I'm also interested in experiencing a collaborative environment with someone and seeing the challenges for myself. While doing the tutorials and creating a portfolio is really fun and one of the better ways to learn web development,  it will not allow me to see how things in companies actually work.