🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Would like your ideas on how to deal with non...
Page options
bobafett999
Community Member

Would like your ideas on how to deal with non paying clients

I design websites based on Weebly.  My skills are in installing various effects in base weebly templates to create beautiful pages.

Now my question is if I run in to a difficult client who runs away with my work without paying, can I do the followings:

1. Those special widgets require css and java files.
  2. When I am creating the site I link those files on my site.

On non Upwork clients I move those files to a client website to run in native mode and we are all happy (On non Upwork clients I am always step or two ahead in terms of payment, while on Upwork it seems to me that I am two steps behind).

So if I have a difficult client can I just not give those files?  If no payment is made can I just severe the links?  That will not make his website go down, only the enhancements I have made will not show up?

In the worst case have you guys used the ultimate weapon – install a kill switch?

I am open to other ideas as well.

4 REPLIES 4
dairywala_hamza
Community Member

Hello Prashant,

If it is possible than provide the demo of the websites on your server or local machine than ask client to approve milestone and relase fund and than you can deploy the changes to the live server. In this way you would get confirmation from client for deployment. Use upwork messenger for the communication so that you have further proof if client disputes it.

Hope this may help you.

Regards,

Hamza

This would be exactly how I would do the work.  Even if it is fixed price bid, you can do the work in phases (milestones) and get approvals as you go.  Then when  the project is complete and you are paid, move the files to clients desired location (host etc).

petra_r
Community Member

Any attempt to install a kill switch or damage the website of a client will likely see your account zapped.

How do you end up with non paying clients? If fixed rate contracts are properly funded or you use the tracker correctly in hourly contracts, that should be rather rare, no?

If no payment was made you theoretically CAN sever the links, but your JSS will likely take a painful nosedive.

@Petra R wrote:

If no payment was made you theoretically CAN sever the links, but your JSS will likely take a painful nosedive.

Petra:  After frequenting this forum I have come to conclusion that fixed price contracts basically offer no protection from crooked clients.  All they have to do is change goal posts or keep on repeating "I am not happy" with the work.  Hourly, are better but that also has the potential of buyer reversing the charges.  So if no payment is made buyer has no right to use my work and the work belongs to me. 

"Any attempt to install a kill switch or damage the website of a client will likely see your account zapped"  I am aware of that.  I have not done it, but just wanted to float an extreme measure. Again, I am tempted to use this scenerio only in case I have made the complete web site. 

Your advice of "take down" notice was really good (once in a while I do like what you say!!!!)

In both cases I don't want the crooked buyers to get away with stolen goods.