🐈
» Groups » Upwork Helps » Forum » I have Russian freelencers in my Czech locate...
Page options
voldemarus
Community Member

I have Russian freelencers in my Czech located agency. Is it a problem?

Hello,

my agency, actually a real world Czech company, has several freeleancers, registered as Russian one. Does it means that I will not able to hire them for current and future projects?

9 REPLIES 9
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Vladimir,

Freelancers located in Russia and Belarus will be unavailable and unreachable through the Upwork platform beginning May 1, 2022, although some payments may continue to wrap up after that date. However, Upwork will not be removing them entirely. If, for example, a freelancer relocates and provides proof of new residency, they will be able to resume work on the platform.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria, tell me how do they need to confirm relocation?

I like "right" answers... which has nothing with real life.

lets look on Russian freelencer. He has blocked Master and VISA card so he need to find cash somewhere while all legal companies work through card payments...  Airplane ticket prices grew more than twice. He cannot get visum to any country. Do you think he worked on Upwork due to his greed? No, he just tried to survive due to low salary in Russia and hidden unemployment.

Lets take me as example. i am 57 and last 10 years I am working on Upwork, due to there are mo job in Russia for people of my age. i cannot apply for working visum due to my age. i am tied to Russia due to my wife is sick and requires medical aid which we cannot afford in EU. And now you'll make me responsble for the agression of people, whom I never met!  Thank you very much!

You blocked the only chance to work on peaceful projects and all your colleagues block any real way to relocate. What should we do? 

there are not so many options:

- we can protest again war and get his head broken by polce. His family will be proud he suffered for the peace, and you... you will be concerned and may be even one or two tears drop from the tip of your nose. But unlikely…

- we can join some  military project in Russia, as nearly all other jobs opportunity are closed.

- we can just starving to death, and you'll be concerned as well.

- we can join army and went to Ukraine.

I am open to another suggestions. What should I do?

regards,

Vladimir

It's probably easy to argue when your city is not being destroyed by missiles from Russia.
Go on.

Really?  

I was born in Kiev, and my parents are still leaving there. I helped them last 8 years on monthly basis, due to pension in Ukraine is even lesser then in Russia. And income from Upwork was used to support my parents. 

But now I cannot send them money, as Upwork ceased my work, and money transfer services like Paypal, Western Union etc. are closed. You propose me te relocate? Very wise advice! In this case I'll increase my expenses a lot, and it will not help me to provide any payments to my familiy in Kiev as it will be consumed by rent room owner 😞

Thanks again for the concern!

Really.
Do something.

voldemarus
Community Member

Mo response from Upwork... So here the solution:

- I sold ALL Upwork shares from my portfolio and removed it from watchlist. 

- I registered on several another freelancer services, who do not suffer from hipocricy.

- I will not return to Upwork. They earned near 20k on me and on my mind it os more than enough. 

- I plan to finish my own projects for Appstore and Macstore,

- And I got propositions from several old cliens to sign direct contracts with my company. 

Regards,

Vladimir

Sounds good!

What other platforms have you signed up to? I am looking for Upwork alternatives as I actually loved working with Russians (their work Ethics are just highest, other than them there is absolutely no good coders on upwork it's no more than an expensive Fiverr with same if not worse quality).

And I do not like what upwork has done, politisation this was just redicilous! what's next they ban US for invading x, France for bomb  ...ing y, and Saudi for z....etc.

It's really better to be Neutral in such things. But, I'm not surprised most companies are trying to score publicity points on this ongoing thing.