🐈
» Groups » Upwork Helps » Forum » Moving
Page options
f825efab
Community Member

Moving

Hi all.
I am a freelancer from Russia,because of the blockage I want to move to Georgia in the next six months.

What will I need to do after I move to get access to my work back?

12 REPLIES 12
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anton, 

If and when you can relocate to a non-sanctioned country, we will be ready to support you in continuing your important work on our platform. Please follow these steps to verify your new address:

1. Ensure your address is current. If it is not current, update your address here.
  2. Once your address is current, you may appeal this decision by emailing support-appeals@upwork.com.

~ Avery
Upwork
f825efab
Community Member

Is it necessary to provide any documents or anything else to prove that I changed country?
Because it would be very difficult to get citizenship.

What will I need to provide?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anton, 

We can confirm that rental agreements (both short and long-term) that clearly note the name on file with your Upwork account are acceptable documents. Other documents can also be used to confirm your new location. You may reach out to  for further assistance.

~ Avery
Upwork
tatianart
Community Member

Hi Avery,

How soon Upwork will be able to answer on appeals? 

Hi Tatiana,

You can submit an appeal by emailing support-appeals@upwork.com once you relocate, update the address on your account and prepare documents, for example a rental agreement in your name, matching the on your Upwork account. Please allow up to 72 hours to receive an initial response from our team, depending on the frequency of support requests we're receiving.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir,
I've noticed that the advice given is to appeal by emailing Upwork once users relocate. However I don't see moderators mentioning about the residency verification.

It sounds like this appeal by email is symbolic, an workaround, a hand offered to the elites, the potent.

I suppose that in order to keep the integrity of residency verification, if such verification is triggered, an user providing for example an airbnb receipt may not actually pass such verification and risk to have the account permanently banned.

Users should be fully aware of the different types of verification, or does Upwork bypass this type of residency verification for these users?

Hi Claudia, 

Upwork has several verification processes in place. The team is aware of the different processes, and there are assigned teams for each type of verification. When a user is requested to complete this type of verification, their experience is different - the team may reach out to them through an email or a notification on their account. There are also other types of documents that we accept for each type of verification. 

For the verification that we have mentioned in this case, we will accept rental agreements provided the name on the rental agreement matches the name on the user's Upwork account. We will continue to create new processes and improve and adjust our existing ones to ensure that we can accommodate the needs of our users while keeping the integrity of the marketplace intact. 

~ Avery
Upwork
f825efab
Community Member

Can you tell me if I'm staying at a friend's house and I don't have to rent?
What documents do I need to provide?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anton, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. You may use any of the following documents: 

• Accepted docs: Bank or Credit Card Statement
  • Utility Bills (electric, water, refuse, telephone land/cell, cable, or gas)
  • Current Insurance Policy
  • Insurance Billing Statement (Medical, Auto or Home)
  • Current Vehicle Registration Card
  • Current Property Tax Bill

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact the team through the email address we shared above so that you can be assisted further.

~ Avery
Upwork
f825efab
Community Member

Thank you so much for the detailed answers!
I still have one question, I hope you can help me with it.
Since upwork has now been suspended in Russia, I have a logical question.
What needs to happen for upwork to be available in Russia again?
As I understand it, the fighting must stop and the parties must come to an agreement.

Tell me, if the parties agree at the next negotiations and the fighting ends, upwork will open access in Russia?

My plan is to wait for this for two months, and then move to Georgia.
And this question is very important to me.
If Upwork will work with Russia immediately after the cessation of hostilities, it makes sense for me to wait a couple of months and not give up everything I have in the hope of keeping my job.
If, after the cessation of hostilities, Upwork will not work with Russia for a long time, then I will have to sell my property now.

That's why this issue is extremely important to me!

Hi Anton,

I understand your concern and how the current situation is affecting you personally. We hope that a path to peace is ahead for Ukraine, and that we are able to bring our mission back to Russia and Belarus in the future. Should the geopolitical situation in Russia and Belarus change, we hope to be able to resume operations.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
tatianart
Community Member

Thank you