🐈
» Groups » Upwork Helps » Forum » Will user accounts be deleted?
Page options
tlenkie
Community Member

Will user accounts be deleted?

Hello. I am a freelancer from Russia and from May 1, 2022 I will not be able to use Upwork.

The first question is, will my account be permanently deleted or will it just be temporarily suspended?

Will I be able to use my current account when the restrictions are over, or will I have to create a new account and again go through the procedures of validation, filling out the profile, docs, etc?

And if the answer to the previous question is "the profile will not be deleted", then the second one:
If I change my location long after May 1st, will I be able to edit my location in my profile?

Thanks, stay safe.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilya,

We can confirm that Upwork will not be entirely removing accounts of freelancers located in Russia and Belarus. We'll make sure to communicate any policy changes with our community.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilya,

Just to clarify, freelancers located in Russia and Belarus will be unavailable and unreachable through the Upwork platform beginning May 1, 2022. However, Upwork will not be removing them entirely. If, for example, a freelancer relocates and provides proof of new residency, they will be able to resume work on the platform.

If and when you are able to relocate, you'll need to follow these steps to verify your new address once you move:
  1. Ensure your address is current. If it is not current, update your address here.
  2. Once your address is current, you may appeal this decision by emailing .
~ Bojan
Upwork
tlenkie
Community Member

Hi Bojan, thanks for your reply.

If I don't change my location, after the restrictions on users from Russia and Belarus are over, will my current account be available then?

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilya,

We can confirm that Upwork will not be entirely removing accounts of freelancers located in Russia and Belarus. We'll make sure to communicate any policy changes with our community.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi

A couple questions, posting them here, since I can't create a new thread.

After May 1, what will happen to contracts that are still open? Will there be an opportunity to resume them later if I change location or will they be closed automatically?

Also, what will happen to visibility status of the account and all the completed jobs and feedback and so on, will I be able to link it to anyone, e.g. for a CV, or at least see it myself?

Hi Rodion,

All contracts still open following May 1, 2022 will be canceled, but we will allow the standard period after May 1 for the client to approve any pending invoices or milestones, and a reasonable time for the freelancer to withdraw funds.
Freelancers located in Russia and Belarus will be unavailable and unreachable through the Upwork platform beginning May 1, 2022. However, Upwork will not be removing their accounts entirely. If, for example, a freelancer relocates and provides proof of new residency, they will be able to resume work on the platform.

~ Nikola
Upwork