🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: 2nd test job request
Page options
francias-english
Community Member

2nd test job request

I recently did a paid (10$) test job for a client. They initially responded that I did part of the work incorrectly and that they didn’t want to work with me. Then they erased that message, and asked me to do another paid (10$) test job with a correction. This doesn’t seem very fair because they already said they liked my writing but they need a second test job. I asked for my regular hourly rate for a second job. What should I do?
13 REPLIES 13
NikolaS

Hi Lauren,

*Edited: I apologize for my misunderstanding. Clients are allowed to ask freelancers to complete more than one paid test if necessary. That would not be against Upwork TOS. That said, the freelancer is free to accept an offer to complete the test or not.

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Nikola
Upwork

This did not answer my question nor was it even relevant. I had a client to whom I already submitted a paid test job. First they said they didn’t like it. Then they erased the message and said they liked the style but I had made an error and asked for me to do another paid sample job. I’m trying to figure out if this goes against Upwork policies or if this is appropriate.

This did not answer my question nor was it even relevant. I had a client to whom I already submitted a paid test job. First they said they didn’t like it. Then they erased the message and said they liked the style but I had made an error and asked for me to do another paid sample job. I’m trying to figure out if this goes against Upwork policies or if this is appropriate.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Lauren,

Sorry for any confusion. Please note that requests for free work are not allowed on Upwork, and it is a TOS violation.

However, requesting more than one paid test is something clients can do if it helps them with their hiring decision and would not be against the TOS. The freelancer is free to accept the offer or milestone for those tests or not.*

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably. Please let us know if you are not able to come to an agreement with the client so that we can assist you further.

*Added to correct information

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Again, I did not do free work. You’re not even reading what I’m writing. I give up.

Lauren L wrote:
Again, I did not do free work. You’re not even reading what I’m writing. I give up.

The test job *is* the job. They are just dealing with you because likely you are easier to get to do the job for cheap. No, nothing against the rules.

It's not against Upwork's policies to ask for multiple paid "tests" at lower than your rate, but personally I probably wouldn't work with a client that functioned that way. It does seem they're trying to just get work out of you at a lower rate. 

Thank you for your response.

Lauren, in fact you need to flag this client and to stop working with him or her. 

They are, in effect, blackmailing you. "We are not happy with the test. We have paid you, so do it again."

This is not how professional freelancing works. Unfortunately, you are likely to take a hit on your JSS, but you should close the contract now and move on. Report the client and give all the deets in your Upwork conversation with him or her.  

To the new Upwork mods: I mean no disrespect, but you need to read the questions and make sure you understood them before answering. Otherwise, let seasoned users take care of the answers.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@ René +1000. 

robric
Community Member

ONLY work with an agreed UPWORK contract. NEVER do free work under any circumstances

millermelanie
Community Member

I believe you did the right thing by asking for your regular hourly rate. I suspect the "test" job is the actual job, and they are using you to get it done cheap. There is nothing wrong with doing a low fee test job, but one is all I would do. The client can take it or leave it. It may not be against TOS for a client to ask for more test jobs, but it isn't against TOS for a freelancer to refuse, either. As for myself, I try to avoid the whole "test job" scenario, anyway, since I suspect most of these so-called "tests" are actually the entirety of the job. If a client can't tell if I'm the one based upon my portfolio and client feedback, then he's not putting in due diligence, anyway.