cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Am I doing it wrong?

Highlighted
Jessica J Member Since: May 13, 2018
11 of 11
OK - I've taken in what everyone has said - thank you all!
I think the biggest lesson I've learned here is that there is not one right answer.

Albert B - thank you for pointing out that Preston H is not a writer. I probably should have put "writers" in the title but I posted this in the writer forum because I feel that, as you stated, with creative projects it can be more complicated. You want the client to receive what they want, but as we are humans, we don't always communicate clearly, even when we think we have.  I have spent most of my life as an Accountant, and if someone asked me to reconcile their accounts, I would just do it and submit it for payment - no need to see if they "liked it", but writing is different.
Also, thank you for the idea of discussing quantity of edits up front. I hadn't thought of that. So much to learn!!

Reinier B - Wow. Never? The very first project I did the client asked me to rewrite it 3 times - by the 4th time I told him he would need to pay me more and he declined so we ended the contract.  What I didn't realize when I was in the middle of it is that he essentially had me write 3 different articles for him on the same subject matter. Each with different tones, audiences, and pov. What I can say is that it was a good learning experience.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to weigh in. I greatly appreciate it!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS