cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting randomly suspended for 24 hours and asked for video chat identity verification?

Ace Contributor
Brandon H Member Since: Feb 17, 2019
1 of 11

So... yeah.  That just happened.  Got an e-mail from CS saying that my account had been suspended so that they could verify my identity.  I clicked the link and jumped through their hoop and then after I had the video conference, I asked the CSR why I had to do this and she said that there was nothing wrong with my profile, it was just something that they did randomly every once in a while for the safety of all users, blah, blah, blah.  Then she told me that they would "notify me of my account status within 24 hours."  So basically, I can't submit any proposals until they get around to turning my profile back on, which should be within 24 hours.

Didn't we all have to submit tons of documentation proving who we are when we first signed up for UW?  I swear to all that is sacred this site makes me want to pull my hair out in some new way every day.

Edit:  Okay, okay... it's actually already back off of suspension.  Little mini-freak out, though.  Still, is this happening to anyone else?

Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
2 of 11

Yup. This was a major thread some months back. Including such gems as CSR's asking questions in no way related to the person's actual field of work, then delaying or denying their verification based on a wrong answer to something they would have no reason to know. (I seem to recall one person saying they were asked a question about PHP, when they were a JS or C# developer.)

Or other people being asked questions that were trivially easy to guess the right answer to, during a maybe 90-second "verification session" where they were fine with answering by text due to the freelancer's browser not working with their microphone, leaving the whole process horribly insecure.

Oh yeah, and there were a few cases where not only was the account temporarily suspended, any pending proposals were nuked, and appeared in the archived list as "declined by you", despite Upwork being the party responsible for the proposals being withdrawn.

Ace Contributor
3 of 11

Well, then I guess I'm glad it was just over quickly.  Thanks, CS.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 11

Yes, this is normal.

I did it.

Many of us who are regular Forum participants have been through this.

It's a good thing, as it is one of a number of measures taken to increase customer satisfaction.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 11

Caveat to Preston's respose:  It is a good thing ONLY WHEN/IF CS KNOWS WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 11

Preston H wrote:

It's a good thing, as it is one of a number of measures taken to increase customer satisfaction.

It is not and never will be "a good thing" to randomly suspend a freelancer without notice and THEN request verification. It would be just as easy to send a message letting the selected freelancers know that they had 72 hours (or whatever) to jump through the verification hoops or they WOULD be suspended. There is no reason at all to choose a process that disrupts business midstream.

Kalah S Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
7 of 11

I'm currently having the same but different issue. I have recieved an email stating they need video veriication and to click this link. When I click the link it takes me to "How can we help" page so I type in video verification and it tells me to click the link in my email. I really just want a phone number to call and talk to a person, or have the link actually work. I can not send any proposals to people and also am not allowed to get paid until I do this video verification so I am very flustered. Any suggestions?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 11

Hi Kalah,

I just checked your account and looks like you were able to complete your verification process. Our team reviewed the information you provided during the verification and your account has already been resumed. Let us know if you need any further assistance. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Ace Contributor
9 of 11

So... I just got another notification about my identity and verification.  Not seven weeks from when I first posted this.  After kind of going off to CS about it, I received the following response - and yes, I did get the issue resolved, but I'm also going to be linking this thread and all of my other "feedback" on this forum to my response to CS. 

"Thank you for your feedback and I understand the disappointment.

We certainly welcome any additional suggestions and feedback. Please feel free to leave your feedback and/or suggestions via the “Feedback” link, which is located at the bottom of nearly every Upwork page. Simply log into your account, scroll to the bottom and click "Feedback.” Once you type in your feedback, suggestions or ideas, make sure to click the “Send Us Feedback” button so that we receive them.

We also encourage you to share your feedback in our Community forum by clicking here. This allows the entire Upwork community to see it and discuss their thoughts and helps us determine what matters most to our users.

We appreciate your patience on this matter.

Regards,

(withholding name)
Upwork Support"

All I can say to that is that from what I've seen it remains undecided within the community whether or not any of the UW higher-ups ever look at these forums anyway.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 11

All I can say to that is that from what I've seen it remains undecided within the community whether or not any of the UW higher-ups ever look at these forums anyway.

They don't have to. the Community management team, or whatever the name is, updates them on a regular basis about what's going on here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS