cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are offers of $100 to write 10k words high quality E-Book normal?

nb88
Community Leader
Nick B Member Since: Sep 11, 2015
11 of 14

Credit to you; impressive. Sounds like hell to me tho and I couldn't produce decent stuff at that rate. I know a lot of professional novelists; not many get past 10k a week. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 14

You do have to take into account that there's a difference in quality and depth that is expected based on genre, not to mention publisher. 

There are types of novels that are carefully crafted and go through multiple revisions. Then, there are things like mass-produced romance and paranormal novels that are lucrative only because the writers routinely turn them out in a matter of days.

For me, most fiction pours out sort of like I was watching a movie and writing down what happened. That goes very fast. Then, depending on the type of work, I may ship it off when I'm done or I may let it sit for months and then re-work it and then do that again.

ETA: Hell for me starts upwards of 10,000 words a day. The most I've ever written in a day was just over 16,000, and that was a very bad day that ended in a migraine.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
13 of 14

@Tiffany S wrote:

You do have to take into account that there's a difference in quality and depth that is expected based on genre, not to mention publisher. 

There are types of novels that are carefully crafted and go through multiple revisions. Then, there are things like mass-produced romance and paranormal novels that are lucrative only because the writers routinely turn them out in a matter of days.

For me, most fiction pours out sort of like I was watching a movie and writing down what happened. That goes very fast. Then, depending on the type of work, I may ship it off when I'm done or I may let it sit for months and then re-work it and then do that again.

You read my mind.

When I write fiction, my writing moves faster (unless it's a screenplay -- ugh technical screenplay formatting is a BEAR!).

Non-fiction, technical and/or academic writing is slower as I obsessively check the data and terminology.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 14

@Kat C wrote:

You read my mind.

When I write fiction, my writing moves faster (unless it's a screenplay -- ugh technical screenplay formatting is a BEAR!).

Non-fiction, technical and/or academic writing is slower as I obsessively check the data and terminology.

Definitely. A 1,000 word article can take me an hour or six hours.