cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article: The rise of the McArticle - is junk content killing us?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1 of 5

A thread in the Freelancer forum and Jen's comment about the McArticle industry made me browse a little bit about this and I now want to share this piece found on LinkedIn:

The rise of the McArticle - is junk content killing us?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

Interesting and I suspect true.  I find that it's harder to re-read the classics and easier to read pot-boiler murder mysteries.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 5

I can't take credit for the "McArticle" saying (I don't think the author can either unless he came up with it too Smiley Very Happy ). It orginated AFAIK from the Demand Studio forum back in the glory days when we all knew we were writing junk but those ad sharing payments were great.

When you're making $$$ writing things like "how to make grilled cheese" you kinda get addicted to it until google curb stomps the entire business model and you gotta find something else to do. Even when eHow died, I still made $80/month for a couple of years and then it totally died. Made $11 last year Smiley Sad I was making hundreds every month with content mills and ad revenue... just sit back and let it roll in... and it got wiped. My goal before it died was to work up to $1000/month, which was totally doable until Panda.

It's crazy but farms all died in 2011-2012 but people still try to make a buck doing it and they soon realize it doesn't work anymore. Some of the junk is just for backlinks, but 99% of them get devalued anyway and it can eventually work against you.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Rene,

I moved this thread as well as some other discussions to the Writers & Translation category.

You guys asked for your own separate category, we finally created it for you but you keep monopolizing Coffee Break.Robot wink

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 5

Lol, you're totally right Valeria, my bad :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS