cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re: Article writers...

Varun D Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
21 of 30

Hi Irene,

That is quite recurrent with creative people. When we are talking about writers, that is frequent. Man Happy

If you find yourself unable to scribble down some meaningful words that serve your purpose, try taking a walk. Listen to something that inspires you. Detoxify your mind with the help of fresh air and drink some water. If it still fails, leave that writing desk right at that moment and go, do something else! 

Because as a freelancer, you cannot just sit and waste time. Try to be productive. Most importantly, Meditate! 

Hope, i did my part well! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 30

I meditate by shooting people in Call of Duty.

Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
23 of 30

Most of my work tends to be on the creative side, so if I'm stumped for how to begin, I'll try to think of an illustrative anecdote.  People like a good story, so it's attention grabbing.  Another tactic is to launch with a quote -- but dispute it or offer an alternative view of it to make the reader go "hmmmmmmm."  Only do this if it is applicable to the topic, of course!  I can usually break the block, if I just write SOMETHING.  Someone earlier said to freewrite.  Yes!  That works!  Just keep writing what pops into your head.  Most of it will be garbage to delete, but somewhere in there will be "the truest sentence you know." (Hemingway)  I can often find a place for some of the deleted stuff at a later point in the  composition, so I don't feel the effort is wasted.  If what you are writing is intended to be persuasive/argumentative, then spend some time viewing the subject from the opponent's side.  You will eventually hit on a brilliant way to launch your defense and then go from there.  There is no ONE way to do it.  It depends on your purpose, audience, etc.  Try different approaches until the muses decide to speak to you again.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
24 of 30

Kat C mentioned something Hemmingway said- "Write the truest sentence you know". This might work for some people, but Hemmingway also suggested something else that often works for me, which is [paraphrased], sit behind my desk, and bleed for eight hours every day.

Irene B is right though- getting the intro right can be painful, so what I do is concentrate on getting only the first sentence of the intro right. I always try to encapsulate the message, rather than the tone, of the article in the first sentence, which makes the rest of the article easier to do.

Then again, I only work in two very narrow niches- advanced automotive diagnostics and astronomy/cosmology, so there is an excellent chance that if I ever had to write something on say, landscaping or roof repair, I would not know where (or how) to start. 

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
25 of 30
Hemingway said a lot (do you have his book of quotes...I read it whenever I need to write).

Bleeding never works for me. But writing does ๐Ÿ˜œ
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
26 of 30

@Kat C wrote:
Hemingway said a lot (do you have his book of quotes...I read it whenever I need to write).

I do have have his quotes, but not right in front of me. For those that missed the reference to bleeding-

I believe Hemmingway said that - "Writing is easy, anyone can do it. All it takes is sitting behind a desk (it may have been a typewriter, I forget which), and bleeding for eight hours a day." 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
27 of 30

@Reinier B wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

I do have have his quotes, but not right in front of me. For those that missed the reference to bleeding-

I believe Hemmingway said that - "Writing is easy, anyone can do it. All it takes is sitting behind a desk (it may have been a typewriter, I forget which), and bleeding for eight hours a day." 

It always strikes me funny that someone whose best writing was so stark and uneditorialized resorted to such high drama/hyperbole when speaking about his own life. 

Community Guru
28 of 30

"I haven't been drinking, haven't been in a bar, haven't been at the Dingo, Dome nor Select. Haven't seen anybody. Not going to see anybody. Trying unusual experiment of a writer writing. That will also probably turn out to be vanity."

Maybe the reason for that is buried somewhere in there?

Ace Contributor
Neil P Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
29 of 30

A few things that work for me;

Read a couple of pages from a favourite author

Draw

Go and walk in the forrest

Go and get something to eat

Check my bank balance

Mostly anything that will stop me thinking.  It seems to be when my mind is clearest that I get my best ideas.  

I've found keeping a notepad handy and getting away from the laptop works wonders too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
30 of 30
Hahaha! I was waiting to see when someone would start bringing up some of his other quotes. ๐Ÿ˜‚
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS