cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article writing

melissaswan
Melissa S Member Since: Sep 16, 2020
11 of 13
I stopped here because I was just told by a prospective client my test article didn't pass copyscape, and there for I would not be paid. I know I didn't copy anything from my research, even though some of the words were the same, and some phrases were similar.

I've been working on Upwork since October and I have 4 long term clients, non of which have ever come back with a plagiarism accusation.

Feeling punched in the gut at the moment. I think the topper on the cake was that the room was closed and I couldn't even respond!
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 13

Melissa S wrote:
I stopped here because I was just told by a prospective client my test article didn't pass copyscape, and there for I would not be paid. I know I didn't copy anything from my research, even though some of the words were the same, and some phrases were similar.

I've been working on Upwork since October and I have 4 long term clients, non of which have ever come back with a plagiarism accusation.

Feeling punched in the gut at the moment. I think the topper on the cake was that the room was closed and I couldn't even respond!

Melissa, it seems that if not actually said (by the client) that he or she was asking for a free test? If so report the client to customer services. This seems to be a typcial scammer getting work for nothing. Your only recourse is if you see it anywhere on the Internet you can ask for a DMCA.  You can also use the work in some way. Either sell it to someone else or use it as a portfolio piece. 

I have done free tests in the B&M world for reputable publishers (some accepted some not!), and I think this is acceptable. But don't ever do it on Upwork (or any similar site).  

I don't know if this is possible in the sort of research you do, but up to a point you can avoid these slurs by unscrupulous clients by quoting your sources.  There are some areas where 'plagiarism' cannot be avoided; in finance for example, where certain phrases and words have to be used. 

Anyway, don't be gutted - report the client and move on. 

ETA: Your fees are too low. I think you should increase them.

chukwu-christian
Christian C Member Since: Jun 13, 2021
13 of 13

Dear Phyllis, I understand how you feel.

I do have some issues as a content writer, editor and proofreader. Some clients so much depend on and believe in the power of AI tools, including Copyspace and Grammarly. 

What I often do to escape my works being rejected is to use Grammarly Premium beforehand to edit my works. When done with the typical grammatical errors correction. Click on PLAGIARISM. I some texts are detected as copied from someone else, kindly rephrase them. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS