Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Pass

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
1 of 24

Anybody else automatically pass over the many writing jobs seeking a "writter"?

What else makes you stop reading and move to the next?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 24

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. Doesn't a potential client who misspells "writer" demonstrate her need for a writer?

I find it common for the people who have the least knowledge about my area of expertise to be the ones most in need of my skill set.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
3 of 24

@Preston H wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. Doesn't a potential client who misspells "writer" demonstrate her need for a writer?

I find it common for the people who have the least knowledge about my area of expertise to be the ones most in need of my skill set.

It doesn't always work that way in writing.

Often those same people want to play editor with the writing: "It doesn't 'feel' right. Can you change it?", "I don't like this word, change it." 

As a writer and an editor, this is frustrating. TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT IT CHANGED TO, SPECIFICALLY.

Though, honestly, I pepper my clients with questions prior to starting any contract. I did, however, edit an essay with the job title: Edit a essay. 

But, she was a repeat client and a non-native English speaker so, absolutely, I was willing to help her out. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 24

@Preston H wrote:

Preston, I think there is a key difference between our fields because your job is to create something functional. The client who knows nothing whatsoever about your industry judges your work by whether or not it does what they wanted it to do. They do not review your code and attempt to judge the artfulness with which you have constructed it.

With writing, on the other hand, it is the expression itself that is the final product. A person whose basic spelling and grammar are deeply flawed is not equipped to judge the actual quality of writing--they can only judge whether or not it "sounds good" to them. I, of course, have no way of guessing what that will be, and if I am able to figure it out it will typically involve the introduction of errors.

I suspect it's a bit like it would be to try to work for me as a composer (I'm tone deaf).

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
5 of 24

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

Preston, I think there is a key difference between our fields because your job is to create something functional. The client who knows nothing whatsoever about your industry judges your work by whether or not it does what they wanted it to do. They do not review your code and attempt to judge the artfulness with which you have constructed it.

With writing, on the other hand, it is the expression itself that is the final product. A person whose basic spelling and grammar are deeply flawed is not equipped to judge the actual quality of writing--they can only judge whether or not it "sounds good" to them. I, of course, have no way of guessing what that will be, and if I am able to figure it out it will typically involve the introduction of errors.

I suspect it's a bit like it would be to try to work for me as a composer (I'm tone deaf).

I pass over anything in which the word "Copyscape" appears. In my fields of expertise it is impossibe to avoid hits, since the nature of the Universe cannot, and will not change just to suit Copyscape, and there are only so many ways to test an automotive circuit. 

I also pass up on posts that include the statement- "We have strict editorial guidelines as compared to other sites/blogs."  I pass these up because I also have high standards, and I don't have to be reminded to deliver a high quality product.

There are several other reasons why I skip job posts, and collectively, they form they basis of why I have not applied to new jobs in 18 months or more. My off-site clients keep me busy, and besides, they all understand that they don't have to tell me how to do my job to their satisfaction.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 24

I've said this before but non-natives seem to judge more harshly when their own English is bad. I've been bidding on just UK and US stuff for the last few months.

automatic passes:

1) Puts what they pay in the title (usually sosmething stupid like $2/per something)

2) Puts something ridiculous for budget in the description that's obviously a farmer (usually something stupid like $1/per something)

3) bad freelancer feedback

4) never gives freelancers 5 stars ever

5) writes in a way that speaks "I am your boss and I will tell you what to do"

6) sometimes I pass if they keep playing on "long term work" because this is a scam in itself.. nobody of value ever makes promises to the length of time it will last

7) The  "native" thing is usually a bad sign. Nobody of value cares if you're a native or not. They just want good writing and I've seen lots of non natives write well. It's  just that low end writers here are usually terrible and they must be used to them. They will get around this by saying US only, which I then bid on.

I'm sure I have more lol. I try hard to bid once a day but sometimes going through the crapola is too difficult.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 24

@Jennifer M wrote:

I've said this before but non-natives seem to judge more harshly

Yes, and this holds true in any language. I have at least one experience with a non-native French speaker.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 24

I had this one gig where this guy wanted me to read through this highly technical document for its English. It was obviously written by a non-native but wasn't terrible. So I went through and corrected it. He proceeded to ask me line after line "why" and then would say things like "Shouldn't it be this way?" Annoying as frig. Like buddy, I'm not here to teach you English or argue with you.

santoshbari
Santosh K Member Since: Jun 2, 2017
9 of 24

Why Not Hired the perfect freelancer. 

By the way i am new here i like to start my 1st. Can anyone help me..???

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
10 of 24

@Santosh K wrote:

Why Not Hired the perfect freelancer. 

By the way i am new here i like to start my 1st. Can anyone help me..???

Removing the below avarage test score from your profile would be an excellent start.