🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Bad review without reason
Page options
patk29
Community Member

Bad review without reason

Hi,

I got a bad review with no reason with the last translation from spanish to french i have done.

The spanish client close all conversation once she got her translation and i had no response to my messages later.

I give her a good review but i could'nt expect mine was so bad and why?

How a freelancer can change his review or delete biased review from employer ?

thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick,

You claim to be a web developer first and a translator second, so, if you are going to be a translator, then you need to reorganize your profile and overview. There is nothing in your profile to suggest that French is your native language, although you have marked  English and Spanish as fluent. You need to add French as "native/bilingual.

The job you are talking about was 2000 words which you did for $22.00 . . . (after charges and French tax, you will have received far less than $0.01 per word - head hits desk) . . . and so of course you got the sort of cheap client who would have found fault with your eyebrows let alone your translation. If it's any comfort, I think the client is a farmer.

That said - hard though this may be - is there anything in that feedback that may be true and that you could improve on? For example, "cooperation", "communication" etc.

You also need to hide all your below-average test scores even if you passed them. "Below average" means that there are countless freelancers who can offer the same skills as you and who achieved much, much higher scores (legitimately or not). That is not to say you are not a good translator, but you need to prove it. Your profile is sending out mixed messages. 

The feedback will impact your JSS, but I think you will soon make it to top rated when you will be able to use the TR perk and have that feedback removed.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

@ Patrick --

We cannot see your profile, so it's difficult to assess what might be wrong.

Are you a native French speaker?

patk29
Community Member

yes

jmlaidlaw
Community Member

Eh, bien...

Still difficult to help without being able to see your profile (assess your education, experience, skills, the client's specific feedback, client's other interactions with freelancers, etc.).

Definitely true that unjustified poor reviews/feedback happen, here. Unfortunately, it is not possible to edit or delete these, no matter how ridiculous or even provably unjustified they are. You can refund the money, and the public review will disappear, but that leaves you without pay, and the "private feedback" will still damage your Job Success Score. If you were Top Rated, you could remove one poor feedback every three months/10 jobs. Otherwise, clients have "feedback leverage." Most clients use feedback appropriately. Some clients, through a combination of misinformation, laziness, incompetence, or (arguably) malice occasionally provide feedback that is demonstrably inconsistent wth the work provided by the freelancer. (It has happened to me!) You have to ride it out. Alas!

It is not possible to receive a "bad review without reason."

What actually happened is that you "received a bad review for a reason you don't understand" or you "received a bad review for a reason you don't agree with."

Patrick,

You claim to be a web developer first and a translator second, so, if you are going to be a translator, then you need to reorganize your profile and overview. There is nothing in your profile to suggest that French is your native language, although you have marked  English and Spanish as fluent. You need to add French as "native/bilingual.

The job you are talking about was 2000 words which you did for $22.00 . . . (after charges and French tax, you will have received far less than $0.01 per word - head hits desk) . . . and so of course you got the sort of cheap client who would have found fault with your eyebrows let alone your translation. If it's any comfort, I think the client is a farmer.

That said - hard though this may be - is there anything in that feedback that may be true and that you could improve on? For example, "cooperation", "communication" etc.

You also need to hide all your below-average test scores even if you passed them. "Below average" means that there are countless freelancers who can offer the same skills as you and who achieved much, much higher scores (legitimately or not). That is not to say you are not a good translator, but you need to prove it. Your profile is sending out mixed messages. 

The feedback will impact your JSS, but I think you will soon make it to top rated when you will be able to use the TR perk and have that feedback removed.

Thanks for your advices.

I forgot to mention my own native language i supposed my location was enough.

About the tests results is it really useful to hide tests "below average" ?

Having 4.5/5 with "below average" for me it's not a bad result.

Concerning offers with cheap prices, unfortunately they are many.

@PATRICK K wrote:

Thanks for your advices.

I forgot to mention my own native language i supposed my location was enough.

About the tests results is it really useful to hide tests "below average" ?

Having 4.5/5 with "below average" for me it's not a bad result.

Concerning offers with cheap prices, unfortunately they are many.

4.5/5 is an excellent pass mark, but "below average" means that thousands of other freelancers have a better pass mark than you and it looks better in blue than in "fail" orange. There of course, those freelancers who have cheated because the answers to some tests are on the internet, which makes it even more important for the ones who have not cheated to excel in their proposals and in the type of jobs they land.

Yes there are offers with cheap prices. Do you really want to be associated with this type of client? Nobody is stopping you, but translating for less than $0.01 per word is not viable. Unless you are freelancing as a hobby, you are not going to make any money.

If you are an autoentrepreneur, you have to pay almost 23% of what you earn (net) on Upwork. $22 -20% -2% (on the service charge) -$2.00 if you are being paid via PayPal, - exchange rate charges, - tax = not very much moolah to play with.

You don't have to take anyone's advice. But this is what forums are for and we all have our views on things. Take it or leave it.

Good luck.

versailles
Community Member

Patrick, I had a look at your profile and you're doing it wrong. Like totally. You're a developer not a translator. Like many people, you think that since you can read A and you speak B, then you can translate one into another.

There is sooooo more that goes in translation that they even have classes in universities to teach it. That being said, you can become a self-taught translator. There are plenty of books and resources about translation out there. It requires work but it's not only doable but also totally fun.

Hey, did you know that during the first 6 months in a translation class you don't do any translation at all? At least in France. What you do is write. In French. A lot. Guess why? And then only comes linguistics.

Funny, wouldn't you agree?

Do web development. Plus unlike translation, it pays well and will last longer.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

Like many people, you think that since you can read A and you speak B, then you can translate one into another.

Bullseye.jpg

patk29
Community Member

I have diploma in spanish tranlastion and i spent a long time in latin america. For that reason, i have proven ability to do that kind of job !!!!!!

don't speak without knowing.

petra_r
Community Member

@PATRICK K wrote:

I have diploma in spanish tranlastion and i spent a long time in latin america. For that reason, i have proven ability to do that kind of job !!!!!!

don't speak without knowing.

Well, the client seems to disagree, no?