Re: Books

Community Leader
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
11 of 26

Brilliant, thank you for taking the time to reply Michael

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
12 of 26

Go read Lune Noire by Monique Molière. The book is so literary I don't think it's translatable, even by Nichola L. Even the most knowledgeable translator will either know too much French to be unable to perfectly translate it into English, or know too much English to be able to capture the most literary of contours therein.

Then read (or reread) Le Mystère de la Chambre Jaune. It was published early 20th century.

Bummer I have no English books in my read list.

Community Leader
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
13 of 26

Abinadab A wrote:

Go read Lune Noire by Monique Molière. The book is so literary I don't think it's translatable, even by Nichola L. Even the most knowledgeable translator will either know too much French to be unable to perfectly translate it into English, or know too much English to be able to capture the most literary of contours therein.

Then read (or reread) Le Mystère de la Chambre Jaune. It was published early 20th century.

Hi Abinadab, I'm going to get it on your recommendation, just to make me feel more intelligent than I am Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 26

Abinadab A wrote:

Lune Noire is  now on  my list! Thanks! 

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
15 of 26

Nichola L wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

Lune Noire is  now on  my list! Thanks! 

You're welcome, Nichola L.!

Mikael A Member Since: Mar 3, 2018
16 of 26

Hi, I'm reading now "Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup" from Bill Aulet .

He has an interesting approach regarding startup model and concept.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 26
For something noir in the cinematic sense, Double Indemnity by James M. Cain is a classic.
18 of 26

I have another idea: now is the time to read or re-read 1984 by George Orwell.

I had, a long time ago, but now, with all the events that are undermining democracy, with the way we are being tracked, there is something scary added to the book. I did a year ago, and the parallels with our daily lives are very upsetting. It truly adds something to the book.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
19 of 26

For thinking, Claire North's books, especially The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, Touch and The Sudden Appearance of Hope.

For laughing, Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth Noir series.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
20 of 26

The Forging of a Rebel (trilogy consisting of The Forge, The Track, and The Clash) by Arturo Barea. 

@ Jonathon L > originally in Spanish and worth the effort; excellent English translations by Ilsa Barea, the author's wife.

@ Luce > your recommendation of Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by American journalist, Jessica Bruder is now on my 'Must Read' list.  Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS