Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Books

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
21 of 26

Wendy C wrote:

@ Luce > your recommendation of Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by American journalist, Jessica Bruder is now on my 'Must Read' list.  Thanks!

Great, Wendy! Maybe we'll be able to share about it.

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
22 of 26

Thank you everyone that took the time and effort to reply, it's much appreciated. I've now got a very long list to work through.... Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 26

Richard S wrote:

Thank you everyone that took the time and effort to reply, it's much appreciated. I've now got a very long list to work through.... Smiley Happy

Longer:

• Jane Austen's novels, including the (unfinished versions of) the unfinished ones. Some of the juvenilia may require a degree of fandom, though I enjoyed Lady Susan.
  • Thomas Mann: Buddenbrooks and Dr. Faustus
  • Edgar Pangborn, A Mirror for Observers
  • Alex Haley, The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Maurice Druon, Tistou les pouces verts (First edition with original illustrations by Jacqueline Duhème is my favorite.) 
  • Hubert Selby, Jr. Last Exit to Brooklyn
  • Anatole France, L'Île des Pingouins/Penguin Island
  • From Dickens, Great Expectations is a personal favorite, and David Copperfield rewards rereading.
  • John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath, The Pearl
  • Robinson Jeffers, Dear Judas
  • If no other Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Arthur Miller, The Crucible

Some of these are of course classics, often worth catching up with or revisiting. When I become king, The Autobiography of Malcolm X will be made required reading for all (US) Americans.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
24 of 26

In case you need smaller things to fill gaps, Neil Gaiman's short stories are sublime.

However, they aren't as sublime as Saki's short stories - many of which are little pieces of perfection.  Like an evil Oscar Wilde, in case you need an idea. (Btw, don't read the plays and novels unless you feel like undergoing some sort of Edwardian dystopian torture).

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
25 of 26

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Richard S wrote:

Longer:

• Jane Austen's novels, including the (unfinished versions of) the unfinished ones. Some of the juvenilia may require a degree of fandom, though I enjoyed Lady Susan.
  • Thomas Mann: Buddenbrooks and Dr. Faustus
  • Edgar Pangborn, A Mirror for Observers
  • Alex Haley, The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Maurice Druon, Tistou les pouces verts (First edition with original illustrations by Jacqueline Duhème is my favorite.) 
  • Hubert Selby, Jr. Last Exit to Brooklyn
  • Anatole France, L'Île des Pingouins/Penguin Island
  • From Dickens, Great Expectations is a personal favorite, and David Copperfield rewards rereading.
  • John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath, The Pearl
  • Robinson Jeffers, Dear Judas
  • If no other Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Arthur Miller, The Crucible

Some of these are of course classics, often worth catching up with or revisiting. When I become king, The Autobiography of Malcolm X will be made required reading for all (US) Americans.

Douglas, I like the look of this list.

Whilst even the mention of 'Austen' still makes me shudder (flashback to High School, studying 'Emma', having no connection with it at that time and being forced to read parts of it to the rest of the class, something I absolutely hated (probably more significantly)), The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn and David Copperfield are two of my favourites.

So whilst apologies to Jane (she won't mind, being dead), I'm looking forward to reading your other suggestions.

Highlighted
Ezat M Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
26 of 26

Hello, 

If you are into investment, financial literacy, I'm reading an amazing book I'd love to share with you. Just let me know.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS