🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Building portfolio without infringing cop...
Page options
emre55
Community Member

Building portfolio without infringing copyright

Hello,

I am back on Upwork after three years and I have been trying to enhance my profile. Nevertheless, I am stuck in portfolio section due to copyright issue. I have read useful posts  by Ms. Patricia F. and Mr. Preston H. , and that the file should not infringe copyright. Now, my question is whether I could add some articles -under Creativecommons (CC - BY 4.0)- which I translated in the past. For instance, a free article in JSTOR. As far as I know, all licences without Non-Commercial and No Derivatives indicators  will be OK, but I would like to be sure about this. 

Here is a link for descriptions of CC licences.

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
jr-translation
Community Member

Duhan Emre U wrote:

Hello,

I am back on Upwork after three years and I have been trying to enhance my profile. Nevertheless, I am stuck in portfolio section due to copyright issue. I have read useful posts  by Ms. Patricia F. and Mr. Preston H. , and that the file should not infringe copyright. Now, my question is whether I could add some articles -under Creativecommons (CC - BY 4.0)- which I translated in the past. For instance, a free article in JSTOR. As far as I know, all licences without Non-Commercial and No Derivatives indicators  will be OK, but I would like to be sure about this. 

Regards

You can link to your projects without making the translation public. You can also  create your own translation samples to add to your portfolio.

colettelewis
Community Member

Duhan Emre U wrote:

Hello,

Regards

You need to clear this with Jstor and Jstor's source even if your translation is not publicly visible.

ETA: Jstor has confirmed that you may translate a "free" article for your personal use, but if you wish to share it with a potential client, you need to clear it with the publisher or the entity that is responsible for the article if the publisher is no longer in existence.  

researchediting
Community Member

If this work was done under Upwork contracts, Upwork has an opt-out scheme for getting client permission for portfolio use. If not, I wouldn't lean too hard on the CC license designation. Using your past work to promote your business might well be considered a commercial use, even when it's your own work. The safer course would be to pursue permission, starting with the publisher (who is likely to hold more comprehensive rights than the author).