cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Casual racism in job posting

Priscilla O Member Since: May 12, 2019
21 of 26

Thank you for your advice Renata,

I guess because my experience on the platform so far has been very positive , I was taken aback by this post.  Let's hope it doesn't become standard practice. Also,  you're right! I forgot that clients don't see other clients' postings so it's encouraging.

Thank you all for your replies and thanks for the laughs...Cat Very Happy

Alex A Member Since: Mar 25, 2019
22 of 26

I know this says 'solved', but I'd like to chip in my 2 kobos nonetheless.

First, as others have said, it's in line with Upwork's rules for people to be able to specify which countries they want to get applications from and which ones they don't want to. I don't have a problem with it - there are legitimate instances where it'll be better to have writers from a particular location. 

Since this one apparently doesn't mind everyone else but Africans, the post was clearly prejudiced but not necessarily racist (although that's likely to be present too, based on real-life experience). 

I agree with you that there are a lot of high-quality writers from Africa (whether native or migrants) and I understand why the posting would be offensive. As someone who has been published in a few major publications, it irritates me to see such illogical discrimination too.

Sometimes, when I come across (on other job boards - I'm quite new on Upwork) similar "native speakers only" guidelines but I really want the job, I apply anyway and SHOW that though I'm not a native-English speaker (this is another absurdity but for another day), I'd be the best for the job based on my qualifications and experience. It often works. You might want to try it too if you come across a very attractive job, not a poor one like this.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
23 of 26

Alex A wrote:

[...]

Sometimes, when I come across (on other job boards - I'm quite new on Upwork) similar "native speakers only" guidelines but I really want the job, I apply anyway and SHOW that though I'm not a native-English speaker (this is another absurdity but for another day), I'd be the best for the job based on my qualifications and experience. It often works. You might want to try it too if you come across a very attractive job, not a poor one like this.

+1000

Highlighted
Priscilla O Member Since: May 12, 2019
24 of 26

I love your perspective on this topic!👍

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
25 of 26

Priscilla O wrote:

I love your perspective on this topic!👍

Me, too!

And Alex's tactical point has been attested to many times on Upwork. Success is possible when applying for jobs for which one is nominally "disqualified." If we have a compelling case for being the best candidate despite a client's specified preference (or prejudice), we can hazard a proposal, and often win the job.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
26 of 26

Kudos to Alex.  He is absolutely correct.  I've won jobs by simply stating "I don't live in X but I'm an expert in Q, Y, and Z ... and those skills are what you need."  And then prove it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS