🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Cheated by Client
Page options
umarkhan5
Community Member

Cheated by Client

Hello Sir,
I'm Md Umar Khan. I'm facing a problem with a client please help me regarding that. The case is, I have been on a contract of a client named Nagasundaram A with Contract ID 21527145. He told me to deliver a plagiarised-free content on some specific topic. I have delivered the same within the deadline, but he is going to end my contract saying that my content is plagiarised even though my article is 100% original. I just have copied some images which I have taken permission prior to the contract. Now, he is ending my contract saying that he will not pay me and also threatening me to give me a negative review.

Many other freelancers had faced the same problem with him. Please help me!

19 REPLIES 19
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Good luck getting this problem resolved, but how do you know "Many other freelancers have faced the same problem with him."?

I have gone through its Job posting and saw many people facing this same problem with him.  As he had given each and every person some negative review.

I have said before that Upwork should publicly provide for each client the average public and private ratings the client has provided for all of his/her previous freelancers.

It'll never happen, but a guy can dream.

And yes, I think the same information should be calculated for a freelancer's ratings on previous clients.

Sir, all of the above what should I do now? How can I take any action against him?

If he gave other freelancers negative reviews, why did you think you would get a good review?

Md Umar K wrote:

I have gone through its Job posting and saw many people facing this same problem with him.  As he had given each and every person some negative review.

The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. Why did you think you would be the exception?

##- Yes, that's my fault I think. I thought that I'll be his exception
because I'm a professional writer, being in this career from more than a
year and has written more than thousands of contents. And the reason which
he is providing is totally wrong as I have checked my content with a
premium plagiarism checker. -##

Md Umar K wrote:
##- Yes, that's my fault I think. I thought that I'll be his exception
because I'm a professional writer, being in this career from more than a
year and has written more than thousands of contents. And the reason which
he is providing is totally wrong as I have checked my content with a
premium plagiarism checker. -##

Well, that's the point. A client that consistently gives bad feedback is either very bad at picking freelancers, extremely unlucky, or scamming his way to cheap or free work.

There is no use aguing your case, he probably does this routinely to anyone that is still accepting offers from him.  

Hey there,

I hope you're safe and doing well during this pandemic. By the way, I have a serious issue and have a question regarding them. Before getting into that, I'm assuming that I'll get the appropriate solution and a satisfying answer about the issue.

So I am talking about a client who gave me a job Three days ago, he gave me a job of Logo Design worth 5$. I completed the job within the time frame and the client was very happy with my work. So, yesterday he came with another job of Logo Design. We were chatting related to the project then he offered me the contract with same amount of money and this time around, I was not happy with the offer. Hence, I declined the offer. He cancelled the contract but I had a intuition that something's fishy is going on here as he was offering jobs of this logos for as low as 5$. Also, if he was a real client then why would he give jobs of so many different companies. So, I looked in his profile and found out that he is a Graphic Designer, at this moment I was very shocked. I was curious to know more about him, so I started some digging about his profile in detail. After some researching, I found out that the Logo I made for him, was a job of his that he got from another client which was of 50$. My concern is not about the money however the job he got, if I have bidded on that I might have got the job because of my good content and great portfolio. (Which I am kind of sure that he shared with the original client) .

If a Freelance Designer (in this case Client) get a job from another client and he post that same job as a client and then when another freelancer get this job (in this case me) because he shared the portfolio and content of mine with the original client then this is kind of data theft.

Another thing, that when I was working on his job, he asked me about my personal details. I didn't gave it to him but I think he asks different freelancers about their personal details because he can work with them without being bothered about the contract/Upwork fees or without being caught on Upwork. Also, he has posted not only 2-3 jobs of this type but numerous jobs in the past and has hired freelancers.

Coming to the point, can I get an on-point solution about this problem or at least a reply, also can you please notify me whatever action you take on this. Can you please connect me with a customer support executive so I can show them proof.

Thanks in advance,
Manish A.

Manish A wrote:

Hey there,

I hope you're safe and doing well during this pandemic. By the way, I have a serious issue and have a question regarding them. Before getting into that, I'm assuming that I'll get the appropriate solution and a satisfying answer about the issue.

So I am talking about a client who gave me a job Three days ago, he gave me a job of Logo Design worth 5$. I completed the job within the time frame and the client was very happy with my work. So, yesterday he came with another job of Logo Design. We were chatting related to the project then he offered me the contract with same amount of money and this time around, I was not happy with the offer. Hence, I declined the offer. He cancelled the contract but I had a intuition that something's fishy is going on here as he was offering jobs of this logos for as low as 5$. Also, if he was a real client then why would he give jobs of so many different companies. So, I looked in his profile and found out that he is a Graphic Designer, at this moment I was very shocked. I was curious to know more about him, so I started some digging about his profile in detail. After some researching, I found out that the Logo I made for him, was a job of his that he got from another client which was of 50$. My concern is not about the money however the job he got, if I have bidded on that I might have got the job because of my good content and great portfolio. (Which I am kind of sure that he shared with the original client) .

If a Freelance Designer (in this case Client) get a job from another client and he post that same job as a client and then when another freelancer get this job (in this case me) because he shared the portfolio and content of mine with the original client then this is kind of data theft.

Another thing, that when I was working on his job, he asked me about my personal details. I didn't gave it to him but I think he asks different freelancers about their personal details because he can work with them without being bothered about the contract/Upwork fees or without being caught on Upwork. Also, he has posted not only 2-3 jobs of this type but numerous jobs in the past and has hired freelancers.

Coming to the point, can I get an on-point solution about this problem or at least a reply, also can you please notify me whatever action you take on this. Can you please connect me with a customer support executive so I can show them proof.

Thanks in advance,
Manish A.

The moment the client pays you the agreed rate he owns the work and can do everything he likes with it. If you feel that your work is worth more than $5, just don't work for that rate. Your client is a farmer like many other, but unless he claims to provide original work to his clients I am not sure if it violates the ToS

Screenshot_2020-04-22 Upwork Legal Center.png

Thanks for Reply, Jennifer!!

So just to clear everything, what I am stating here is not fraud, right?

Manish A wrote:

Thanks for Reply, Jennifer!!

So just to clear everything, what I am stating here is not fraud, right?

Not unless your client claims that the work you did and he sold was original work created by him. You will have a hard time proving that.

True that. Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it very much. Also, stay safe.

lysis10
Community Member

Cheap freelancer that sells fraudulent Google Play reviews meets cheap client that wants "native" mother tongue and things of content and doesn't get it because well.... yeah.

It's glorious dramz and I love it.

Jennifer M wrote:

Cheap freelancer that sells fraudulent Google Play reviews meets cheap client that wants "native" mother tongue and things of content and doesn't get it because well.... yeah.

+1000 - as usual, you nailed it.  

clau1198
Community Member

Cheap freelancer? Sorry, but the guy is just trying to explain his case and he has already admitted that was his fault for beleiving he could be the exception. Moreover, he writes fluently..... i really don´t understantad why cheap freelancer unless you guys are upwork´s oweners and/or advocates...

Claudio,

No, the OP's English is not fluent. That is not a barrier to success on Upwork. It is a barrier to being taken seriously as a seller of English-language services. As are cheap rates. These are hard, cold, facts. No amount of delicacy of phrasing can make them more palatable. One can hear what we have to say, or not.

What we are is people who are largely successful on Upwork, and don't mind anyone else being successful. What we do mind is the constant stream of less-successful freelancers whom we tell what they need to do to become more successful, only to be met with arguments and defensiveness.

Well, that´s right.... sorry.... but the boy is starting.... the true is that we have to pay attention to reviews either  from customers or freelancers

mtngigi
Community Member

@lysis10 wrote:

Job post: "i want 10 of 5 star rating in google play" - I guess the algae rhythm didn't pick up on that one. All 50 freelancers were paid $5.

Yet another good reason to raise the d__m minimum.