🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Client Expectation Inflation
Page options
resultsassoc
Community Member

Client Expectation Inflation

On another board, I responded to a post to edit and format for print a business-subject book. My default artist, who also does book formatting, and I teamed on it. Without surprise, we won. Exploring a fit resulted in learning that his target audience was owners of $5M+/yr companies, who won't read long treatises. My artist and I can do this one in our sleep.

The client's first action was to send us 30 multi-MB image files from his pdf draft. Next was to do nothing with a draft I sent him. Third was a conference call saying he didn't want any of the 30 images used, and the draft was unacceptable. He expected me to triple the content.

I've colored him gone. I messaged him that tripling content wasn't an edit, it wasn't even a rrewrite. It was ghost-writing. The content included sixteen licensed photos (watermarked); tripling content would likely be 48 licenses, at $5 to $25 each. We had started the job without escrow being funded; I told him to fund the first milestone and we would get back to work. We would triple content, add several hundred dollars in license costs, format the book, but it would be a few months. I can't ghost-write his book in the six hours I had budgeted for an edit.

Anybody have similar stories?

4 REPLIES 4
versailles
Community Member

@Bill H wrote:

Anybody have similar stories?

Similar to start a job without a funded escrow?

No.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter
Community Member

I doubt many people have similar stories.

Because any client who thinks that tripling the amount of content is "editing" is an abject lost cause as a client, and not somebody that ANY Upwork freelancer should work for.

The sheer inanity of such a thought boggles the imagination.

Edit a business book in six hours? No, I can't say that I know people who can recount a similar story.

The book, thirty pages in pdf, was attached. Writing itself wasn't bad, there was overuse of complex algorithms designed to prove the value of certain actions. I suggested replacing algorithms with simple explanations of the values, which were easy. I also suggested adding easy-to-understand examples to simplify understanding.  I had finished the conceptual edit while reading the book. The physical edit took another twenty minutes.

I would never begin work on Upwork without a contract and funded milestone. This wasn't UW, and my conclusion was that I was dealing with a fellow business professional. We had established page count already, and reached it. Tripling content was simply a change of scope.