🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Client asking for a full refund or comple...
Page options
adeleye_bisola
Community Member

Client asking for a full refund or complete rewrite of all 23 milestones for the past 10 months

I have been working with this lady for some months now (about 10 months and we've done 23 milestones) as part of a new contract. We started out on an old contract where I did 2 milestones and she loved my work.

Now, after completing about 23 milestones in the new contract (over 80,000 words for $400+), she complains of plagiarism in the in the 21st milestone and claims I have to rewrite all 23 milestones from scratch or refund her completely. 
Since she always checks the articles before approving payments and never said a thing about it, why bother me after you've approved the milestone?

Also, I explained to her that I shouldn't be doing too much because of the pay rate was actually very poor ($5 for 1,000 words!), but she didn't seem to budge. She stated that I must refund her for everything or rewrite it all!
I tried to be calm about it because the contract is still open and the importance of a bad review on JSS, and I rewrote the recent milestone that she told me was plagiarized. But now she's asking for the rest and I don't think I'm ready to write all that!!!
What do I do now?

I must also mention that I have worked with other clients and they do not have any problem with my writing. One client even loved my work so much that he requested I join his agency (after completing a few milestones of over $800 in barely two months), which I declined due to Upwork terms and conditions. 
Is it just me or cheap clients are the most complicated????

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you did the work and there was no plagiaris, do not refund any of the money - you have earned.

Ask her to give you a few examples of the text in your writing that she thinks is plagiarized. Either she can prove her claim or she can't. 

If she can't, it will be clear that she's lying and has not a leg to stand on when demanding a refund.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Bisola A wrote:

I explained to her that I shouldn't be doing too much because of the pay rate was actually very poor ($5 for 1,000 words!), but she didn't seem to budge.

You haven't actually said that the content was NOT plagarised. That's kind of important. If you accepted the job for low pay, that's not the client's fault, and it doesn't mean that you can give them plagarised content.

And yes, cheap clients are the worst. They don't value your time or efforts, and many specifically take advantage of newbies, knowing that they'll jump through hoops to avoid a bad JSS score. But you can choose not to work for them.

Thanks for the response.....
but i mentioned that I rewrote the one she indicated was plagiarised, but she's still asking me to rewrite all the milestones

Bisola A wrote:

but i mentioned that I rewrote the one she indicated was plagiarised, but she's still asking me to rewrite all the milestones

So does that mean that you did plagiarise "the one" milestone? Otherwise I can't understand why you'd agree to re-write it. And if you've admitted to plagiarising one article, then I don't blame the client for worrying about the rest of your work.

Anyway, the pay is low and it sounds like you're heading for a bad review and possibly a request for a full refund, even if you do the re-writes (which you say you won't do). I'd shut this one down and take the hit.

Christine A wrote:

Bisola A wrote:

So does that mean that you did plagiarise "the one" milestone? Otherwise I can't understand why you'd agree to re-write it. And if you've admitted to plagiarising one article, then I don't blame the client for worrying about the rest of your work.

Anyway, the pay is low and it sounds like you're heading for a bad review and possibly a request for a full refund, even if you do the re-writes (which you say you won't do). I'd shut this one down and take the hit.

The crux of the matter is whether the work was plagiarized or not.

If not, fine.

If all milestones were plagiarised, you will have to rewrite them or, if the client goes for a dispute, refund and it wouldn't look good. That's quite apart from the legal implications and threat to the Upwork account..

Bisola A wrote:

I would assume that if she found one piece that was plagiarized, she no longer trusts the rest of the content you provided to her, which is why she's requesting a rewrite.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you did the work and there was no plagiaris, do not refund any of the money - you have earned.

Ask her to give you a few examples of the text in your writing that she thinks is plagiarized. Either she can prove her claim or she can't. 

If she can't, it will be clear that she's lying and has not a leg to stand on when demanding a refund.

Good luck.

Thanks very much. I'd do that

P.S. other suggestions are welcome

Hi,

I'd say as a writer, you should always check the Plagiarism before submitting the work.

I'd consider it as basics. You can just have a quick Plagiarism check on google for the content you have written, there are many tools like duplichecker one among them...

And if it's Plagiarised you should know what to do next as a writer!!

lysis10
Community Member

Jithin T wrote:

Hi,

I'd say as a writer, you should always check the Plagiarism before submitting the work.

I'd consider it as basics. You can just have a quick Plagiarism check on google for the content you have written, there are many tools like duplichecker one among them...

And if it's Plagiarised you should know what to do next as a writer!!

god, just go frolic in some other forum. This one is not for you.

jithintv
Community Member

hahaha...I thought she said suggestions are welcomed!!

researchediting
Community Member

Bisola A wrote:

Is it just me or cheap clients are the most complicated????

When it comes to cheap clients, "complicated" is kind.