🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Client demanded a refund, but is using my...
Page options
danfue
Community Member

Client demanded a refund, but is using my text

Hey there, fellow writers and translators o/

This is basically just a rant about dishonest clients, but maybe some of you have an idea about what to do here.

A few months ago, I worked for a client that wanted me to create two short texts for one of his products. It turned out to be a lot more marketing focused than I had anticipated, but I still managed to come up with texts that the client initially was very happy about. After asking for at least six revisions (without giving clear instructions and basically just telling me to do it "differently"), he suddenly told me that my work was not what he was looking for and demanded a refund. I had half a mind to dispute that, but after talking a long walk and cooling down a bit, I decided to just give in and accept that I had just wasted a few hours.

The client hired another freelancer almost immediately and I forgot about that unpleasant experience.

Fast forward a to today, where I was browsing amazon and happened to stumple upon the product that I wrote those texts about. I zoomed in on the packaging and lo and behold, there is version 6.2 of my text that he rejected and demanded a refund for.

I know that there is basically no chance of getting my 40 bucks, but it really bugs me that he is using something I created and that he had deemed "not good enough".

Oh, the client is also using an obviously fake name and is happily hiring freelancers to write favorable reviews on amazon, so he seems like an all around swell guy.

4 REPLIES 4
hernandez-luz
Community Member

Wow!

Just, wow! Woman Surprised

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Notify Amazon the former client is making unauthorized use of text that you created and own. Provide whatever supporting documents you think they'll need to understand and accept your claim to ownership.

@Will L wrote:

Notify Amazon the former client is making unauthorized use of text that you created and own.

Indeed! Amazon also have 0 sense of humor when it comes to fake OR paid reviews outside their own system. So if there is supporting evidence that fake and / or paid reviews were / are happening those should be reported too.

Such jobs are also not allowed on Upwork so you might want to report them to Upwork as well.

lakitel
Community Member

Unfortunately, I've had this happen to me on the very first contract I worked on. The first three articles I wrote were fine, but on the fourth article (which itself was around 2k words) I was asked to rewrite it a whopping 4 times, at the end of which I just said 'I'm done' and we parted ways.

Of course, I checked a few days later and the original version I wrote was on there. Ultimately, the client at least credited me for the work, even though I didn't get paid for it, so it wasn't a total loss.

You're lucky that you have the resource to contact Amazon. For any writers that have this issue happen to them, report it to the website admins. I would also suggest that you report the client on Upwork and let them know the client is using your work without authorization/without paying for it.