@petra unfortunately.. It's true.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 17

Gaensly Joseph Fed J wrote:
@petra unfortunately.. It's true.

yeah. Insane. Completely insane.

Don't do that.

Clients who value your skills that little will treat you according to the value you put on yourself.

And if you do a good job, you train people to think that it's a reasonable amount to pay.

That then becomes a vicious circle.

If you don't value your work you can't expect clients to do so either, but doing stuff like that hurts the whole platform, because if you are not part of the solution you become part of the problem.

Highlighted
Theresa D Member Since: Mar 28, 2019
13 of 17

What's the price for 490 pages?

What should the price be for 490 pages?

I learned on Upwork that I should set my rate per 100 words then set a fee based on the number of words requested. 

Is there an article on negotiating prices on Upwork? I am certain the traffic on that post will hit the skies.

Writer, Social Media Manager
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
14 of 17

- What should the price be for 490 pages?

There are too many variables for anyone to be able to answer that. But it will certainly be higher than the $0.92 per page quoted in the OP.

- I learned on Upwork that I should set my rate per 100 words then set a fee based on the number of words requested. 

That's a good starting point. But 100 words that you can write off the top of your head while sipping a coffee may not be worth as much as 100 words that you write after spending several hours researching it.

Or that 100 words you write off the top of your head may be worth far more than someone else's 100 words because you're a proven expert in that thing. Especially if that thing is obscure. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 17

necro'd thread and OP got the banhammer

Lynn H Member Since: Feb 27, 2016
16 of 17

Upwork will definitely defend the client. You should not waste any more time on this. Just chalk it up to experience.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
17 of 17

Lynn H wrote:

Upwork will definitely defend the client. You should not waste any more time on this. Just chalk it up to experience.

Upwork doesn't "defend" anyone.

• For hourly contracts, Upwork pays the freelancer if payment protection conditions were met—these are mostly the freelancer's responsibility, although they include the client's having a verified payment method on file, which it is the freelancer's responsibility to confirm.
  • On fixed-price contracts, Upwork as escrow agent is prohibited by law from rendering a judgment on the substance of a dispute. That is why it refers the disputing parties to each other, and suggests they settle. If either party is unresponsive to a dispute, the other wins by default.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS