cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client job descriptions

Ace Contributor
LIN F Member Since: Apr 30, 2016
1 of 19
Can the powers that be please look into the option of forcing clients to provide more info in their job descriptions? Now that connects are just draining away we really don’t have the luxury of wasting connects. Can they, at the minimum, provide word or page counts and subject areas?? Most of us have preferred genres we work within and I’m now finding myself holding back on applying for anything unless it specifies that it’s within my area. Which means I’m probably missing out on quite a few opportunities. Also, are clients aware of the restrictions we now work under?
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
2 of 19

LIN F wrote:
Can the powers that be please look into the option of forcing clients to provide more info in their job descriptions? Now that connects are just draining away we really don’t have the luxury of wasting connects. Can they, at the minimum, provide word or page counts and subject areas?? Most of us have preferred genres we work within and I’m now finding myself holding back on applying for anything unless it specifies that it’s within my area. Which means I’m probably missing out on quite a few opportunities. Also, are clients aware of the restrictions we now work under?

The powers that be will have a lot to do. I guess clients that don't know how to provide sufficient information will have to deal with the rare weirdos that are willing to spend time and connets to answer them.

Let's see if this forces clients to learn new tricks when it comes to describing what they need.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
3 of 19

This idea of Upwork forcing clients to do anything is a real problem for me.  I actually think they force the clients too much and if you have ever tried to fill a job on UW you might find that it is a bit too much hoop to go through as I do.  My concern is in trying to make job descriptions you like you will annoy a potential customer and they will go somewhere else.  Anything UW does to eliminate bad customers has that potential.

The reality is, clients often don't know what they are doing and even less what they really want.  In my line of work this is just a reality.   It is hard to tell if there is real value there but sometimes I get enough to decide to take a shot.  But otherwise I mark it as vague description and move on (which I dont' think does anything).

The real problem is that TOO many people actually do apply for these jobs.  This is a problem that I am still hopeful paid connects will solve.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
4 of 19

Simple solution:  Don't use your paid connects and valuable time to apply to any position without sufficient information.  I skip those and hope others will too.  Then maybe clients will get the hint....

Besides, I feel if they aren't upfront about what they need, they probably don't know what they need and they'll be awful to work with down the line (revisions, not satisfied, etc.)

Just my 2 cents

Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: May 12, 2019
5 of 19
I literally saw one the other day that was one sentence: (paraphrased)

"We need someone who understands english copywriting and content words."

Of course, it was an expert hourly job, so it required 6 connects.

I laughed out loud.
Stefano P Member Since: Jul 29, 2019
6 of 19

Absolutely! People can no longer write a proper "listing" of any kind, anywhere - not just on UW.  We don't necessarily want clients to be experts but when it becomes much, much more riduculous than someone entering a restaurant and simply stating: 'I'm hungry!', it really shows that we reached rock bottom and even went farther down.

Things like "I need translation" or "I need a logo" and NOTHING ELSE reveal that these people simply have no idea NOT about the job to be done but about the world in general. Back in the day, not even a 6 y.o. would have written such crap.

So yeah... don't bother and move on. Let other waste their time and money.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 19

Why would you waste connects applying for a gig with an inadequate job description? 

Ace Contributor
8 of 19
My point is that in Editing you'll often see "completed manuscript needs editing blah blah". Please just give us an idea of page extent - are we looking at 10 or 100? Is it IT-related (in which case I'll run a mile), childcare, or science fiction?? Why can't clients have a range of general subject areas to choose from? Why do i have to apply and waste connects to ask? And from past experience, these are clients who know what they want and aren't bad clients at all. All I'm asking for is more clarity so that we can make educated choices instead of applying blindly or having to wait on the very few that tick our boxes.
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 19

LIN F wrote:

Do you realize how many different fields there are on Upwork, each with their own very different sets of questions, and each of which would require expertise in the field to determine the right questions? I don't really want Upwork to devote a huge amount of time and resources to that project, especially since it doesn't really work--LinkedIn forces fields like the ones you're describing, and the end result is a bunch of posts that are misleading because the client doesn't really know the answers they're being forced to provide.

What I would like to see is an option to flag a job posting as having insufficient information, and then after receiving a few of those Upwork would message the client letting them know they'd get better results if they updated the post with additional information.

Ace Contributor
10 of 19
I was thinking more along the lines of a few checkboxes-fiction/non-fiction, etc. But yes, I get your point about it being cumbersome. I think your idea is great-hopefully someone will take notice. I don’t know what the client interface looks like, but it may be useful to them too if it was pointed out that they’ll get much better results if they specified certain criteria in their postings.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS