cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client requesting changes after payment auto-released.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 15

"A client found an error in the freelancer's work AFTER a contract has been closed. The client contacts the freelancer to ask if she could fix the error, pointing out that she can create a new contract to pay her for the work if necessary, or pay using a bonus. The freelancer thanks the client for the offer of additional payment, but declines, and fixes the error."

I find the notion of expecting any particular behavior from a client—let alone a ceremonial offer of payment which I am expected to ceremonially refuse—bizarre. That way madness lies.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 15

re: "I find the notion of expecting any particular behavior from a client... bizarre."

Douglas:
I agree with you.

It is not sensible or helpful to expect any particular behavior from a client.

These are the things that I do as a client and as a freelancer.

These are my recommendations for others.

But we can't "expect" clients to act in this way or be shocked if they don't.

Every freelancer should determine what they will do and what they will require of clients. Do this before the questions arise, and state it as a matter of personal policy when faced with this issues.

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
13 of 15

@Preston H wrote:

It is always good to keep clients happy.

But let's turn this question around a little bit:

If YOU were the client... And YOU wanted a change made to a project for which the contract has already been closed...

Wouldn't you OFFER to pay the freelancer when you requested a change. You could let the freelancer decline if he wants to. But your first impulse would be to OFFER money when you ask the client to do something, right?

For two reasons:

1) It's the right thing to do.

2) You want the work done as quickly as possible, and you want it done well.

As a wise, responsible client, you don't think that the best way to get things done is to ask people to do them for free. Your project is important to you. The quality is important to you. So the thing you always try to avoid is letting people work on it who aren't being paid or adequately compensated. This isn't a college homework assignment, after all. This is business.

This is crazy. This happens to me all the time. The contract isn't closed out, it's just paid out.  There's a difference. All my clients get the chance to ask for edits. If it's 3 weeks later, after Upwork paid it out, then it is... but I still do them just like I would for any other client who asks for edits. I would NEVER expect a client to offer me extra money for the first or even second round of edits.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
14 of 15

For fixed-rate contracts: I notify clients that I only perform a single copy-edit per milestone via the scope of work I send to them (by explicitly defining in-scope versus out of scope work). No adding content -- that requires additional milestones.  If it's an error on my end (hey, we're all fallible), then I'll make the changes without charging the client. But, I avoid these types of misunderstandings through the detailed scope of work.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
15 of 15

That's probably one of the biggest mistakes new Upwork freelancers make - not being more specific in defining the parameters of a project.

This is particularly important for fixed price projects, which I rarely do because a) my clients often don't understand the full scope of work required for their finished project and b) I don't know the project well enough initially to set up what would in hindsight turn out to be reasonable milestones.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS