Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client unresponsive and not allowing milestones to go through

ilannamandel
Community Leader
ILANNA M Member Since: Jun 29, 2014
1 of 8

Hello: 

I began a project several weeks ago to write three lessons on the Holocaust. The client has received drafts of all three lessons. But he doesn't pay the way he's supposed to. I have only received a partial payment on one course. 

I complained to Upwork and they told me the client has 14 days to pay the funded milestone. But the client has had over 3 weeks and Upwork still doesn't release the funds and neither does the client. So, what can I do? 

Also, the client is refusing to fund any milestones for the third course and doesn't answer my requests for communications. 

A really annoying situation. 

Ilanna

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Ilanna,

It looks like you submitted your work and requested payment today. Please, allow the client to review the submission and release the payment. I can also confirm that even if the client does nothing, the payment will be released to you 14 days after you requested it. Just make sure you don't resubmit as it'll reset the clock.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ilannamandel
Community Leader
3 of 8

I took on a project because I really believed in it - 3 interactive lessons on the Holocaust. I've done a ton of work now and out of $900 I've only been paid $150. The client has only set up one more milestone and has become unresponsive and doesn't set up any more milestones. 

What can I do? I've complained to Upwork and they told me to wait the 14 days. I told them it's been 21 days and they still do nothing!

Ilanna

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 8

You're probably going to get into trouble for starting multiple threads on the same topic.

When you submit through a funded milestone, unless the client sends back for revisions using the "request revisions" button, payment is automatically released in 14 days. If you did that 21 days ago, something is broken. However, in your other thread, Valeria mentioned that you had submitted your milestone today (maybe yesterday?), so there is apparently some confusion. 

If you sent the client work that went beyond the milestone that was already funded, chances are good that you will not get paid for the rest of it. The purpose of a funded milestone is to secure your payment for that piece of the work.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 8

Hi Ilanna, 

I checked your ticket and the contract that you mentioned and it appears that you submitted work 10-hours ago via the milestone submission page. I would like to reconfirm what the agent who handled your ticket, and what Valeria has shared with you earlier - the payment will be released to you 14 days from the day you first submitted the milestone, even if the client doesn't do anything. 

You may read this help article on getting paid for fixed-price contracts.

~ Avery
Upwork
ilannamandel
Community Leader
6 of 8

No, you're wrong about that. I submitted the first work - two lessons over three weeks ago. I submitted them by uploading them in the message section. So, the client has had them for three weeks. The message I submitted ten hours ago was to try and get them to respond by reminding them. 

I also submitted another piece of work a week ago and also by uploading in the message section. They know this and acknowledged this. 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 8

Hi Ilanna, 

I understand how not getting any response from a client is very frustrating. However, in a fixed-price contract, all submissions should be made via the milestone submission page/contract page, so that work submitted could be paid for automatically after 14-days (if the client didn't ask for revisions, or if the client paid for the work earlier than 14-days). 

In the future, I would suggest that you only submit work via the milestone submission page so that all work submitted can be paid for.

~ Avery
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 8

@ILANNA M wrote:

No, you're wrong about that. I submitted the first work - two lessons over three weeks ago. I submitted them by uploading them in the message section. So, the client has had them for three weeks. The message I submitted ten hours ago was to try and get them to respond by reminding them. 

I also submitted another piece of work a week ago and also by uploading in the message section. They know this and acknowledged this. 

That's not submitting work. That's giving work to the client. You submit work on a fixed price job by clicking "submit/request payment". 

I'm sure it's frustrating that you were expecting payment and didn't get it, but what went wrong was that you didn't use the system properly. It seems as if you can still salvage your payment, which makes you luckier than many other freelancers who come to the site and start using it without fully educating themselves about how it works, but it would be in your best interests to do some reading before moving forward. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS