🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Client wants too many changes
Page options
rogerstn
Community Member

Client wants too many changes

Hello I'm in need of advice,

I am freelance writing blog posts for a client and the client only provided titles, a word count and keywords. I researched the topic of the title and wrote the article according to the guidelines given. However, the client is now stating that they are not familiar with what I wrote and asking for a complete re-write that includes specific details. Mind you, these details are different and ultimately a different title than what was given at first. The subject is in regards to hair and beauty and I do understand that subject can be opinion based and change demographically. But, if the client wanted specific content listed about the title they should've provided me with that initially. I'm fairly new to Upwork and need advice on what I should do next? Is this ground for a dispute or should I re-write the entire article under the new terms and spare my reviews. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
datasciencewonk
Community Member

Adding to the good advice already given here...

I discuss the different contractual models before I agree to a contract. For fixed-rate contracts, it's one copyedit per milestone. A copy-edit does not include adding to the word count nor completely rewriting the content (unless they want to set up an additional milestone at my per word rate). Exactly as Preston stated, if they want unlimited revisions, then an hourly contract will be the agreed upon construct. Also, I always ask for specific examples of the tone/style and structure for their intended blog or article. For fixed-rate contracts, the scope of work is absolutely definitive based on my per word rate. No wiggle room. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients may ask me for as many changes as they want.

When we have an hourly contract.

Fixed-price contract?

Zero changes.

When I submit the work, it is done, and the client needs to release payment.

YOU need to manage your fixed-price contracts. Upwork can not do that for you.

You may need to learn to be more clear before agreeing to the contract about how many revisions you will allow, if any.

For now:

"Fred, I appreciate your enthusiasm for this project. I am with you in wanting to get it just right. But there may have been some confusion about the Upwork contract model being used. This is a fixed-price contract, and I have already completed the work agreed to beforehand. If you would like me to continue working on the project without limitations, you can close the current fixed-price contract and create an hourly contract."

tlbp
Community Member

You will need to be more cautious to avoid misunderstandings.  Make sure that the client understands whether you will offer revisions, how many and the difference between a revision and a rewrite before you agree to a contract. Also, you should invest some time in clarify the needs of the client before you start writing. This will help you avoid requests for rewrites later. 

In your particular situation, you'll have to evaluate the impact of not providing a satisfactory article will have on your Upwork reputation (profile and JSS). As in any service industry, customer satisfaction is important but we also must know when to say no. 

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Adding to the good advice already given here...

I discuss the different contractual models before I agree to a contract. For fixed-rate contracts, it's one copyedit per milestone. A copy-edit does not include adding to the word count nor completely rewriting the content (unless they want to set up an additional milestone at my per word rate). Exactly as Preston stated, if they want unlimited revisions, then an hourly contract will be the agreed upon construct. Also, I always ask for specific examples of the tone/style and structure for their intended blog or article. For fixed-rate contracts, the scope of work is absolutely definitive based on my per word rate. No wiggle room.