🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Copyrights and Intellectual Property Rights
Page options
4df626b5
Community Member

Copyrights and Intellectual Property Rights

If I'm hiring a freelancer to be my content creator and blogger for my company, how do I make sure that Copyrights for content created for our company, including all of the associated intellectual property rights with the content will be owned by our company.

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Migdeliz,

In general, Optional Service Contract Terms are used unless the client and freelancer agree on different terms, and they contain sections 6.4 ''OWNERSHIP OF WORK PRODUCT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY''. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
e97ab18a
Community Member

Hi, 

Thanks for posting. I have 2 questions:

1. Does the "Option Service Contract Terms" apply automatically when entering into a service agreement with a freelancer (meaning on the acceptance click) or must we (client and freelancer) sign it aside?

2. If I understand these terms, upon full payment to the freelancer, there is an "absolute" transfer of rights to the client?

Many thanks for your answers.

Hi Dayta,

1. Yes, that is correct. Unless the client and freelancer agree to different terms, "Optional Service Contract Terms" apply by default when they enter a contract.

2. Yes as well. You can refer to the section 6.4 'OWNERSHIP OF WORK PRODUCT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY' of the Optional Service Contract Terms for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Dayta R wrote:

1. Does the "Option Service Contract Terms" apply automatically when entering into a service agreement with a freelancer (meaning on the acceptance click) or must we (client and freelancer) sign it aside?

2. If I understand these terms, upon full payment to the freelancer, there is an "absolute" transfer of rights to the client?

If by chance you are asking as a client, you should be aware that experienced freelance writers may expect some traditional publishing-industry courtesies extended by the publisher to the writer; an individual writer's proposed contract may spell out these expectations. That is not a sign of bad faith on the part of the writer; you are of course free to accept, reject, or negotiate the writer's terms as fits your business needs.

colettelewis
Community Member

It depends what the "associated" rights are. If your writer specializes say, in baby clothes and  writes for hire for your site. What he or she writes for your site is your property. But what the writer then writes for other baby clothes sites is (should be) beyond your jurisdiction.. 

That isn't what associated rights are.  It means things like translation.