cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could somebody guide me how to write an appropriate proposal?

Fizza Nadeem S Member Since: Jan 13, 2017
1 of 9
Hi

I am new to this platform so could somebody please help me how to write an effective proposal. I have been sending out proposals for quite a long time now but no luck. I didn't even manage to get 1 job.
Really depressed.
I am in so much need. Could someone help me?

I could even work as somebody's subcontractor if someone agrees.

Please help me.

Regards
Ace Contributor
Anna K Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

Hello Fizza,

welcome on Upwork! To land a job here is not the hardest thing to accomplish but it needs a strategy. If you want to achieve long-lasting cooperations, repetitive clients and a relatively steady income (this depends on the time you devote, your effort and inevitably the category you chose to work in) then I think you need to see this from a different perspective. It's not just proposals. It's you, selling your skills and competencies in the most attracting way possible. Before I give you my 2 cents on the proposal part, let me briefly suggest a few points with room for improvement.

1. Re-write your overview. Use keywords that prospects search for if they look for a professional like you but use them wisely within the content. Focus on what you can bring to the table, in terms value to the client. Use some bullet points to drive attention to what you need to highlight, keep it short and sweet and error-free. Maybe you can hire a writing professional to edit and improve it or you can attempt to tweak it a bit on your own.

2. Tests. First of all, hide all results that are below average, until you sit the test again and score at least above average. Try taking more tests that reflect your expertise. The ones you display are rather irrelevant. Try to match your skills that are above the overview with related tests.

3. Write a few lines in every employment sector so that your prospects get to understand better what have you worked on in past and what is your range of experience. About the executive role in your most recent employment entry.....it would be hard to believe that you were assigned this role, given the irrelativity of previous vacancies and also the fact that you hadn't even graduated when you were given the post. It's kind of confusing. Also you state you've been subcontracting freelancers for a few months...why don't you include this working experience in the employment history?

Now, in regards to proposals, I think that you need to tailor your applications to the prospect's specific needs. Try to read behind the lines of the listing....what do they NEED? Clearly state both the hard and soft skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. I assume that as a newbie you copy and paste a canned proposal to different listings. This is a mistake that most of us have done at some early point and of course it leads to no results. Clients understand canned submissions. Try seeing this from the client's perspective....would you hire YOU at this point and with quite a scrappy, confusing profile? 

3 of 9
Hello Anna,

Thank you so much for such a detailed response.
I will surely improve my profile.

Now I understand where am I lacking. Thank you for pointing out all the possible glitches in my profile.

Thank you.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

Here u go here is my proposal. You can use it if you want.

I don't believe in shooting stars

But I believe in shoes and cars

I want our job to be like pi

Irrational and neverending

Ace Contributor
Anna K Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
5 of 9

Hello Fizza,

You're mostly welcome. In regards to suggested tests, you need to take tests that match and show your knowledge as a Research Analyst, first thing first. Then, I'd suggest you take a couple of tests that will show off (if the results are good) your Financial Education background. In the end, you should take at least one English basic skills test (either the uk or us), since communication is a must when it comes to freelancing and you need to show your ability to effectively communicate, to your clients. And don't forget some basic computer savviness skills!

Don't overdo it with tests. Depending on the skills that are necessary for the category you fall in, I'd suggest you have no more than 10 results exposed in your profile, but again, this depends on the basic skills that a freelancer in your category should possess.

About the score results and hiding or exposing them (apologies, I didn't note down the name to mention it) in my opinion, even Top 30% results can be shown as I consider it a good score, BUT this again depends on the freelancer's rates...I mean, an entry level freelancer with low rates can have even top 30 results shown in their page. But if someone claims expertise and have high rates, then I do agree, they can keep only top 10 and top 20.

Community Leader
Claudia B Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
6 of 9

I think you should hide your test results. I never show test results lower than Top 20%.

7 of 9
Could somebody please guide me which tests I should take that are related to this field?
Pleas help
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 9

@Fizza Nadeem S wrote:
Could somebody please guide me which tests I should take that are related to this field?
Pleas help

Go to your home page and click on "find work". In the dropdown menu click on "tests", and then choose some appropriate tests that relate to the skills you are offering.

Hajar J Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
9 of 9

Hi Fizza ? did you get a job after appliying these instructions?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS