🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Countless proposals and no response .. pl...
Page options
asmaamohammed34
Community Member

Countless proposals and no response .. plz review my profile and tell me ur remarks .. thanks

Hello Everyone .. I need a little help please .. I have registered on Upwork since April.. I'm a translator .. but I couldn't get a translation work on the site despite countless proposals.. Could any one help me find what's wrong with my profile ? https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01d19ad47065bc13ff
Thank You !
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
e_gasparini
Community Member

Hi Asmaa,

Disclaimer: I'm having no luck on Upwork myself, as a translator, but these tips come from different resources.

I had a look at your profile, and I'd like to point out to you a couple of things:

First, I suggest you to translate only INTO your native language - that's what professional translators do, as translation and localization require a profound knowledge of the culture of the target country, the language alone is not enough in most cases -.
Second, try to state your fields of expertise, areas in which you have a strong knowledge (hint: even outside of translation, it doesn't necessarily have to do with that).

Third, may I ask you why do you say "[...] I'm only a translator [...]"? To possible clients, that might sound like you're underestimating said profession, it doesn't help at all, it doesn't really make them want to hire you, IMHO.

Fourth, why don't you take some tests to showcase your skills? I suggest you the English to Arabic translation test, as well as English language tests (hint: only show the ones where you get the best results, say, those with top 30% and above, hide the others until you can retake them and ge tbetter results).

Finally, I obviously don't know your approach when writing proposals, but you will find lots of resources on how to write effective ones around here, you should definitely have a look a those!

This is all I have to tell you, I hope you will find this information useful, and I wish you best of luck on and outside of Upwork!

Elia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Asmaa,

Please check these helpful guides on how you Submit A Winning Proposal and TIps on How to Boost Your Success on Upwork.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
e_gasparini
Community Member

Hi Asmaa,

Disclaimer: I'm having no luck on Upwork myself, as a translator, but these tips come from different resources.

I had a look at your profile, and I'd like to point out to you a couple of things:

First, I suggest you to translate only INTO your native language - that's what professional translators do, as translation and localization require a profound knowledge of the culture of the target country, the language alone is not enough in most cases -.
Second, try to state your fields of expertise, areas in which you have a strong knowledge (hint: even outside of translation, it doesn't necessarily have to do with that).

Third, may I ask you why do you say "[...] I'm only a translator [...]"? To possible clients, that might sound like you're underestimating said profession, it doesn't help at all, it doesn't really make them want to hire you, IMHO.

Fourth, why don't you take some tests to showcase your skills? I suggest you the English to Arabic translation test, as well as English language tests (hint: only show the ones where you get the best results, say, those with top 30% and above, hide the others until you can retake them and ge tbetter results).

Finally, I obviously don't know your approach when writing proposals, but you will find lots of resources on how to write effective ones around here, you should definitely have a look a those!

This is all I have to tell you, I hope you will find this information useful, and I wish you best of luck on and outside of Upwork!

Elia

@Elia G wrote:

Hi Asmaa,

Elia

In addition you should add Arabic to the list of languages you know and check your entire profile for typos. Also stop working hourly contracs for less than your hourly rate.

For reasons, one is not allowed to voice aloud, there is a very high demand for professional Arabic translation in Europe.

For a client a sentence like "I believe that there is no perfect translation, but there is translation that brings joy to life and makes it easier." is a showstopper. Clients always want a perfect translation, but you are saying you don't belive in it and that you basically want to do something completely different.

Thank you Elia !